German Castrol vs Mobil 1 -> Noise test in s2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to tell, IMO.

How many miles on the M1 when he changed it? The reason I asked is that in my experience, the engine always sounds a little quieter right after an oil change, even if you keep using the same oil brand/type.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=647055

Any thoughts?

Sure.

This sort of unscientific silliness accomplishes nothing.

If you can't correlate "noise" to wear, to performance, to horsepower, or to mileage you're kidding yourself.

In general oils at the same viscosity with normal additive packages should not "sound" different at all.

If they do, it's not clear what it means unless it correlates to something concrete - wear, performance, horsepower, mileage - something.

Any thoughts?

Yes. It was a completely useless test that accomplished absolutely nothing
grin2.gif

For the sake of discussion, Vid #1 is louder.

Noticed a clicky sound from the front of the engine.

Same noise but more subdued in Vid #2.

What SilverC6 said. Vid 1 (M1) was louder. But it's hard to really tell from that video.

2nd Video is the oil change. The car has 1 more mile on the gauges. Both are noisy, but M1 sounds a bit more rough and that maybe because it was old too.

I could not discern any difference in the volume of the fast "ticking" between the two videos. My question is why would anyone run an engine that fast on cold oil? Sounds like around 3K rpm.

Originally Posted By: Rolf

Any thoughts?

Sure.

If you can't correlate "noise" to wear, to performance, to horsepower, or to mileage you're kidding yourself.

In general oils at the same viscosity with normal additive packages should not "sound" different at all.

If they do, it's not clear what it means unless it correlates to something concrete - wear, performance, horsepower, mileage - something.

I think s2000's timing chain tensioner is very sensitive to oil, which is why the poster probably did the Comparision. If 'noise' doesn't correlate to any of the factors you mentioned, shouldn't all oils sound the same?

Originally Posted By: Rolf

Any thoughts?

Sure.

I think s2000's timing chain tensioner is very sensitive to oil, which is why the poster probably did the Comparision. If 'noise' doesn't correlate to any of the factors you mentioned, shouldn't all oils sound the same?

Viscosity makes a difference though. Not necessarily the BRAND. Which I think was the purpose of the test.

If 'noise' doesn't correlate to any of the factors you mentioned, shouldn't all oils sound the same?

No.

The most probable correlation is to actual viscosity.

Mobil 1, viscosity for viscosity, is usually on the "light" end of the viscosity range.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Viscosity makes a difference though.

Certainly.

High viscosity motor oils lead to lower gas mileage.

The good wear numbers from 5W-20 and 0W-20 motor oils show that there is more to all this then viscosity.

Need to go back to the basics: i recommend you read dr. haas's lectures. the most important thing about oil is: is the oil thin enough to flow when it is cold. you need to run Ow30 if you would like your engine to be happy. both oils mentioned run like 30w when hot, and are identical when hot. one oil is 10w30, and the other is a 0w30. if you spend the money on such a nice car, at least read about oil, learn, and then only use the ow30, either castrol or mobil makes no difference: Or else you are so rich you don't care about whether you are treating your engine to the oil is deserves - you are just going to buy a new toy in 3 years time anyway, so who cares --

linky to read and learn, I did:
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php?s=2...otor_oil_basics

and i agree, you must never rev an engine that fast when it is cold: that is probably the reason the engine is making noises: the owner should read and learn about engines and lubrication, in case he/she does not have an excess of cash which to buy a new toy every three years.
i recommend they read dr. haas's lectures and learn.
NEVER EVER RUN an engine that fast when it is cold.

IMO, 3k rpm is not really high for this engine. Even when cold and you start driving, I wouldn't expect anyone to shift to the next gear at less than 3k rpm. Otherwise, you'd be lugging the engine in the following gear which would be even worse. These engines don't produce much torque down that low. This isn't your typical american muscle car V8 that can run at 1000-1500 rpm all day.

The S2000 ECU schedules 2K rpm for cold start. Then it drops to 1.5K rpm after about a minute. It idles at around 1K rpm when fully warm. Most start-up noises are associated with valetrain flutters and ticking. But some timing chain auto-tensioners become noisy (constant loud ticking) even after warm-up. Most owners that report this problem on s2ki.com seem to be M1 users. I think this correlation may be the inspiration for this video analysis poll.

My personal experience with GC in the S2000 is good for start-up noise reduction over some other oils I've tried. Some of its virtues may be due to viscosity, but I think it may be the higher levels of ZDDP in the SL rated GC. I've also found MMO in the fuel to help even better with start-up noise than GC. FP+ did not have any quieting effect though. The biggest surprise for me has been Auto-Rx in the oil though. It was during the clean phase using O'Reillys 10W-30 dino and a bottle of Auto-Rx that my S2000 has been the quietest on start-up.

less ticking when close up on vid 2. What does that mean? no idea

That being said, I've heard/read a bunch of posts complaining about M1 being noisier.. what does that mean? no idea
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back