355 LT1 Street Strip Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine is in and running good. Need some ideas for oil.
355 LT1 in a 96 Impala.
Forged bottom end.
Bearing clearances are .002 and .0025.
Cant remember the exact piston to wall clearance. Was set up on the loose side of piston spec for 150-200 shot of the giggle gas.
Rings were filed on the high side.
Hydraulic Roller with just under .6" of lift.
Redline will be in the 6500 range.
Have not done an oil analysis yet, but fuel dilution seems to be not a problem, cant smell it or the oil does not look bad when changed.
I have been reading about the Shell Rotella T 15/40 being speced for a lot of the gas engines.
Car is not a daily driver. Driven to work 2-3 times a month.
Driven around town, to the track and raced.
Dont have an oil temp, but have the stock oil cooler in the radiator.

Edit: Forgot to add. The temp where I live does not get below freezing that often. Most of the time in the winter the car will not be started or driven below freezing.
I am a maint. freak, so 5000 miles will not happen. Usually the way I treat the car, it sees about 3 months, which is no more than 2000 miles.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Rotella T 15/40 would most likely be a great choice for you. Don't count out Delo 15/40 or Mobil Delvac 15/40 either. If you can find it, Rotella T makes a 10/30 as well.

I have a similar combination but it is a Ford Ranchero with a 351W and a flat tappet solid cam that spins the same rpm.
since you mentioned you use a hyd roller you dont need to worry too much about zinc additives as you do with flat tappet cams.
I have run a best of 7.78 at 91 mph so far in the 1/8 mile with my car, wich weigs in at 3350lbs, Im sure your Impala is closer to 4000 lbs. there is a multitude of oils you can run, I would not use any thicker oil than a 40 weight, a 10w30 is a better choice for a tight engine as you described. I personally run 10w40 in my car but I wont be changing my oil in my car until my oil sample says I need too. I dont even know when I will be sampling it. maybe every 5 years? I only drive it about 5000 miles a year and so far it has about 4000 miles.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Buffman
German Castrol(0w30) It and call it a day.

From UOAs and reviews, German Castrol works GREAT in the LT1

Originally Posted By: Ls_Dx
Redline 10w30... done :)

I am a big fan of Redline. You may want to give it a try.

Try a few oils and see what works for you.

Redline. I use 10w-40. I have a turbocharged 355 LT-1. Custom turbo system, Air to water intercooled,meth injection making 1,000RWHP. You wont find a better oil.

Brad Penn Penn Grade 1 10w-30 or straight 40 wt(This is what we are running in our hopped-up 440 Mopar). Second choice would be Valvoline VR-1 racing oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back