What is the name of this hose? JPEG attached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

When I was doing a tune up on my girlfriends '97 Saturn SL2, I noticed the hose that comes from the engine valve cover to the air intake hose is cracked. I want to replace it but have no idea what the name of it is.

I have circled the hose in yellow in the pic below. Thanks

saturn-sl2-engine-brite.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry the picture didn't come out with my cut and paste, but that hose is not specifically named in the Service info. All it says is "Fresh air is also routed from the air intake tube (clean side) to the engine's cam cover for purging crankcase gases."

I, personally, call it a breather hose - but that's just me and any hose could replace it. I doubt a straight hose would hurt.

Service Information
1997 Saturn SL2/SC2/SW2 | SL,SL1, SC1, SW1, SL2, SC2, SW2 (VIN Z) Service Manual | Engine | Engine Controls - 1.9L | Description and Operation | Document ID: 1225598
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Air Intake System Description
MFI Air Induction System
The SOHC/DOHC engine has a tuned air induction system to provided maximum air flow at minimum noise levels. The air cleaner assembly (air box) is mounted on isolators, attached to the battery tray and left-hand side frame rail. The air cleaner assembly has a water drain to prevent element contamination and possible ingestion of water by the engine. The engine air inlet is located on the left hand side of the car in front of the underhood junction box. Air is routed to the air cleaner assembly and then on to the throttle body. Fresh air is also routed from the air intake tube (clean side) to the engine's cam cover for purging crankcase gases.

Crankcase Ventilation

In gasoline engines, small amounts of combustion gases seep past the piston rings into the crankcase. These crankcase blow-by gases contain undesirable hydrocarbon air pollutants. To prevent these vapors from escaping into the atmosphere, while allowing proper ventilation of the crankcase, the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is used.

A positive flow of air is routed through the crankcase by the system and the airflow is metered through the PCV valve according to engine needs.

Clean air, downstream of the air filter, is admitted to the engine crankcase through the cam, or rocker, cover. This air mixes with the combustion gases in the crankcase and is then metered back into the intake manifold via the PCV valve. The PCV valve is located in the cam cover and is directly above a baffle plate inside the cover. This baffle plate removes oil vapors from the air flow before it enters the PCV valve and the intake manifold.

Eventually, under normal operating conditions, sludge from crankcase vapors may clog the PCV system. Adverse operating conditions like short trips in cold weather will speed up this sludge build up. When this occurs, the PCV system will no longer draw pollutants, unburned hydrocarbons, from the engine crankcase. These pollutants are then forced up into the air cleaner through the PCV breather tube, but without fresh air to dilute and help remove them, some remain in the crankcase. In time, this causes condensation of gases in the crankcase. This results in the formation of acids, sludge build-up, and oil dilution.

Theory Of Operation

The positive crankcase ventilation system flows fresh air into the engine crankcase to dilute the unburned hydrocarbons present and route them into the intake manifold where they are consumed during the combustion process.

The PCV valve controls or meters this flow of crankcase vapors during all modes of engine operation. Each PCV valve is sized for a specific application to provide a flow rate that will meet the engine's needs during idle, high speed, and heavy load conditions. PCV valves are not interchangeable based on their external dimensions. They must meet the designed flow requirements.

The PCV valve meters the vapor flow under all engine operating conditions.

During Deceleration, Low Speed, and Idle
During engine deceleration and idle, manifold vacuum is high. The high vacuum overcomes the force of the PCV valve spring, and the valve bottoms in the manifold end of the valve housing. This does not completely stop the flow of crankcase vapors into the intake manifold, but it does restrict them to a specified value for each engine.

During Acceleration, High Speed, or Heavy Load
When the engine is accelerated, operated at high speed, or under heavy load, the manifold vacuum is less than it would be at idle or during deceleration. During acceleration, the PCV valve spring force is stronger than the vacuum pull from the intake manifold. This forces the valve toward the crankcase end of the valve housing. With the valve in this position, more crankcase vapors can flow into the intake manifold because the flow path offers less restriction. This larger flow path offsets the fact that the manifold vacuum is less during these operating conditions.

Last edited:
Unless there is something special about the hose, they should be able to come up with something at a parts store if you take them out and let them see what you're talking about.

Yep, if it's between the cam cover and the clean air intake, like said, that's your breather hose. You don't want any cracks in it as you'll be drawing unfiltered air into the crankcase that way.

Joel

That's before the throttle body, so it's not hooked to the PCV valve. There isn't enough vacuum. It supplies filtered air to the crankcase to feed the PCV system.

That's probably the PCV valve right next to the oil fill cap.

I just replaced this on my 98 SC2. It is technically known as a "Crankcase to Air Intake Vacuum Hose". Advance, Napa, and Autozone do not carry this hose. The Saturn Dealer wants 36.00 for it.

Take the old one off and go into AZ or Advance and have them cut a length of hose to match it. It cost me less than a dollar. Any standard heater hose will suffice. Just make sure, as it's not pre-molded, that when you put it on there's no kinks in it and the inner dimension is wide enough to allow the same amount of air through as the OEM hose. The diameter will be a little bit narrower but not enough to cause a problem.

Put a little diaelectric grease on both ends, it's much easier to slide on that way.

Not a big deal because it is not metered.
It is simply an inlet for the PCV system.
Match up the size at an auto parts store, and buy a foot or so.
But you can not have any kinks when it is installed! A molded hose is better - a sure thing .

It's the fresh air side of the PCV system. Air goes from the intake hose through that hose you have outlines, through the top of the head and then through the crankcase, then to the PCV valve, then through the PCV valve hose and into the intake manifold.

Last edited:
Crankcase Breather Hose I believe. Ours cracked around 60k and the mechanic wrapped it with electrical tape. That didn't work, so my dad replaced it with a new one from the dealer. There's an updated part for it. The replacement one from the dealer is much better built than the original one. I think my dad paid around $8 for the hose, but this was 4-5 years ago.

There's no radical bends to that breather hose at all. Like said, all you need is a length of the proper diameter parts store bulk hose. Pop the OEM hose off and take it in with you. Again, having a open/cracked breather hose is a big deal. You or your engine won't notice in the short term, but you are sucking unfiltered air into the crank case. I'd do an oil change after the hose replacement, especially if that oil has some miles on it.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back