First MG Coolant Filter Change - Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original Install Thread 9/27/2007
A complete flush was performed and fresh G-05/distilled water was added with the initial install.

7/26/2008 Completed the first filter change. Excessive Pics with and without flash are below.

Amazing even after a complete flush and less than a year of service about 6000 miles the amount of fine silt/sand like residue is present.

mgcoolant-01.jpg

mgcoolant-03.jpg

mgcoolant-05.jpg

mgcoolant-06.jpg

mgcoolant-07.jpg

mgcoolant-09.jpg

mgcoolant-10.jpg

mgcoolant-11.jpg

mgcoolant-12.jpg

mgcoolant-13.jpg

mgcoolant-14.jpg

mgcoolant-15.jpg

Thanks for the images. I guess if this is the result a few more times, you can figure that there's either more stuff cached in there ..or it's a perpetually produced byproduct.

A full flush was performed prior to the G-05 install. I drained the original coolant and back flushed the system with tap water quite a few times to clear out the old fluids. I used distelled water then to flush and drain the system 2 more times.

G-05 and distilled water then added at the approx. 50% ratio.

The filter was working fine still getting warm quickly.

I only changed the coolant bypass to sync a change I just happened to be doing with the oil bypass filter. I was curious to actually "see" what it caught.

I look forward to the second filter change.

Last edited:
Begging your pardon, but I don't see how RMI 25 removes the debris. It appears, according to the literature, to dissolve or suspend it ..but I don't see any removal modality other than changing out the coolant at the normal interval. Not that this aspect is absolutely mandated ..but
21.gif

I have used RMI 25. It attaches itself to contaminants and causes them to float to the top. Then they are pushed into the overflow tank. In the overflow tank, they float the the top, and since fluid is drawn back into the radiator from the bottom, it remains in this tank.

I don't know if it can make casting sand float, though.

yes they end up in the over flow tank .. I will take a picture of my tank on my corvette ..already cleaned it once..needs to be done again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back