Is Amsoil Really Worth The Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spend the extra bucks on amsoil; trust in the product, dealer lives 1k from me, quality of products; extended changes. I like to compare it to insurance....I like full coverage.

worth the money is not going to save you the expense and labor associated with a new engine, but some gains can be achieved in maintenance/labor savings. wear is going to happen no matter how good the oil is. this can be seen on UOA's. engines with bypass filtration and exotic synthetics show similar wear but the oil remains cleaner over time. friction happens, an equal opportunity destroyer and is not a respecter of oils and filtration methods.

I just read this entire thread, and the key thing is you need to find a lube that will work for YOU. Just because someone with the same vehicle as you is running it doesn't mean you will have the same results.

I recently switched about 9 vehicles over to Amsoil:

-2005 VW Golf TDI PD: This vehicle has had some problems with the EGR. Amsoil had as good of UOA's as any other oil I ran. I did recently change it to Elf/Total 507, simply because that was the BEST oil available for this motor. I was having some issues which are all EGR related. If Amsoil made a VAG 507 oil I would run it.

-2005 Golf TDI PD: Bro's commuter car, they are happy, I don't know anything else. They won't spend the $$ for UOA.

2005 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton 4x4 5.3l: Bro's truck. He honestly hasn't stayed with an oil, which IS important. Do not switch oils constantly, unless your UOA is not working out. He has gone from M1 to Amsoil and then to Castrol back to Amsoil. He get impatient when he needs oil and gives me 1 days notice.

-1991 Mercury Tracer: This car has 140k miles on it with only about 45k miles with us. I don't think it was cared for before us properly. We ran Amsoil (not sure which oil) in it for 12k miles in one year and the UOA came back great other than a TBN that was a little low. But the car is used mostly for short trips.

-2003 Duramax: Used AME in this truck and it had GREAT results. Oil had about 18k miles on it in one year and everything looked great. I am jealous of the UOA the truck put out. I wish my TDI did this well.

-1976 Cadillac DeVille: I don't drive this much because it has a 472 big block in it and I only have about 1000 miles on it in 6 months. Prior to this oil change this vehicle sat unused for over 12 years in a garage. The oil was probably Penzoil, and it had some major fuel dillution in it. I am going to do a UOA at a year to see mostly what the motor looks like. Motor is very smooth. Vehicle has 62k original miles.

-1969 Jeep CJ: Father's jeep. Fuel economy EASILY went up 5 MPG. I know this sounds like snake oil, but it helped it out a lot. Prior oil was unknown and not synthetic.

-2007 Toyota FJ: Father changed over at 10k miles. No real news here, I would like to do a UOA when it comes time to change. I don't know if anything improved but this is a pretty virgin motor.

2001 (??) Ford Taurus: Running Amsoil 0W20. This is my step-father's 2nd/commuter vehicle when he does not drive the Duramax. He is getting 30 MPG with the switch to the 0w20 oil. I think he was doing about 25 on the non-synthetic 5w30. He also changed an air filter that was VERY dirty to the new Donaldson/Amsoil cleanable filter (obviously played into the mileage jump).

There are many quality oils. Find one that works for you and stick with it. UOA is cheap insurance and rather addicting.

Honestly if you are going to be running much Amsoil, sign up. I also run Amsoil in my own and friends/family snowmobiles. Many friends run it in their ATV's as well.

You might pay a little more but I really don't mind, because piece of mind is worth it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back