Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic Blend 10w-40 in LS1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured I'd switch from a full synthetic to a blend. I hear this is a good oil for a higher mileage car. I like to go to thicker oil in the summertime when it's hottest. I currently have 142,000 miles and burn 1/2 quart of oil per oil change (every 6000 miles). I have been noticing some oil spots ever since I started using synthetic but never had an issue with conventional. I guess you now see where this is going....I want the protection and durability of a synthetic but also want the non leaking properties of conventional oil. Is Maxlife 10w-40 a good choice for me??? Is there something better that I should go with??

I think Maxlife blend would be an excellent oil for you. It has a stout additive pack, lots of detergents to keep the innards clean, and seal conditioners to help stop leaks. Not to mention the price is right- $12.99 for 5 qts at Wal Mart is hard to beat.

I like it so much I use it in all my vehicles, and all have under 50k miles. Give it a try for a few OCI's- I'm sure you & your LS1 will like it.

Originally Posted By: 98REDBIRDLS1
I figured I'd switch from a full synthetic to a blend. I hear this is a good oil for a higher mileage car. I like to go to thicker oil in the summertime when it's hottest. I currently have 142,000 miles and burn 1/2 quart of oil per oil change (every 6000 miles). I have been noticing some oil spots ever since I started using synthetic but never had an issue with conventional. I guess you now see where this is going....I want the protection and durability of a synthetic but also want the non leaking properties of conventional oil. Is Maxlife 10w-40 a good choice for me??? Is there something better that I should go with??

You never mentioned the brand name of the full synthetic you were using. Only using a half-quart in 6K is pretty darn good for that many miles accumulated already.

Sounds like you are trying to fix something that ain't broke. A top-off of only a half-quart would not send me looking for another brand.

Do you have any other issues with that full synthetic?

Isn't he looking for something to stop his minor oil leak? Are the high mileage oils capable of doing that?

Since the LS1 in Corvettes (same engine as in his Firebird) recommend M-1 5W-30, I'm betting he's been using it. Although you don't get the M-1 oil fill cap in the LSI equipped camaro and firebird models, lol.

I'm fairly sure Patman knows one heckuva lot about these engines, hopefully he'll chime in on this one (I've seen him on the LS1 sites).

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

You never mentioned the brand name of the full synthetic you were using. Only using a half-quart in 6K is pretty darn good for that many miles accumulated already.

Sounds like you are trying to fix something that ain't broke. A top-off of only a half-quart would not send me looking for another brand.

Do you have any other issues with that full synthetic?

I'm having leaking problems with the Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic....it's quite irritating. I was using Mobil 1 10w40 coventional before I was using the synthetic and had no leaking issues. Thanks for the comments and advice because I don't know a [censored] of a lot about which oil does what.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
Isn't he looking for something to stop his minor oil leak? Are the high mileage oils capable of doing that?

Since the LS1 in Corvettes (same engine as in his Firebird) recommend M-1 5W-30, I'm betting he's been using it. Although you don't get the M-1 oil fill cap in the LSI equipped camaro and firebird models, lol.

I'm fairly sure Patman knows one heckuva lot about these engines, hopefully he'll chime in on this one (I've seen him on the LS1 sites).

When I bought my ride in 2005 it had used mobil 1 5w30 conventional it's whole life at that time (85,000mi.)It burned about 1qt. every 3000mi. at that time. I thought the oil looked thin so I switched to a thicker oil the mobil 1 10w40 conventional. My ride seemed to love it and only burned about 1/2 qt. every 3000mi. The mobil 1 0w40 synthetic is great and it burned even less, about 1/2 qt. every 6000mi. but I started to see oil spots on my driveway since then. So that's why i'm switching to a high mileage blend because I hear that might be right up my alley. I did some research and found this site. So here I am bugging you all about my problems....lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lost1
I think Maxlife blend would be an excellent oil for you. It has a stout additive pack, lots of detergents to keep the innards clean, and seal conditioners to help stop leaks. Not to mention the price is right- $12.99 for 5 qts at Wal Mart is hard to beat.

I like it so much I use it in all my vehicles, and all have under 50k miles. Give it a try for a few OCI's- I'm sure you & your LS1 will like it.

Thanks for the affirmation of the quality of Valvoline Maxlife blend.....I did some research and found out that it's a top notch oil for a good price and is a more robust oil compared to regular conventional. I just have never used it and am not someone who believe's all the hype about something unless proven by someone qualified to say so. So, this oil is as advertised then???

When I bought my ride in 2005 it had used mobil 1 5w30 conventional it's whole life at that time (85,000mi.)

Mobil 1 Is the synthetic, the conventonal is Mobil Clean 5000.

Val maxlife syn blend will work well for you hopefully.

Why not fix the leak? If that's all that's causing the oil to disappear, it would sound like it's been doing quite well.....

It's very refreshing seeing a thread about 10W-40 for a change.
04.gif

Originally Posted By: Lost1

Thanks for the affirmation of the quality of Valvoline Maxlife blend.....I did some research and found out that it's a top notch oil for a good price and is a more robust oil compared to regular conventional. I just have never used it and am not someone who believe's all the hype about something unless proven by someone qualified to say so. So, this oil is as advertised then???

It's definitely good stuff- there are more than a few users of ML on this site (and others) who have had success with it stopping minor leaks...

If I had to choose a conventional oil to run in a higher mileage LS1 Camaro or Firebird, I'd probably go with GTX 10w40 actually. I think the Maxlife 10w40 might just be a tad too thick.

At the same time though, I prefer to recommend synthetics for the LS1, even in the Camaro/Firebird which doesn't call for it. The LS1 in those cars still runs just as high oil temps as the Corvette, and has no oil cooler, so you're safer running a synthetic oil if you drive the car hard in the hot summer for long periods of time. In fact, even if you don't drive it hard, you'll see 240-250F oil temps on a 90 degree day if you're stuck in traffic with the AC on.

I still believe GC 0w30 to be one of the best oils for the LS1, even though I'm using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 (which is also very good, but just hasn't quite shown as low engine wear as GC did in my engine)

Last edited:
So you recommend synthetic then, got it:)You were talking about the high heat temps that the ls1 has....is a blend ok? I'm using the VML blend, is that considered a conventional? What makes a 30w better than a 40w for an ls1?? BTW I have 142,000 mi. and the leak is gone....2 days and no spots. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand and learn more about my engine and what will keep it happy
19.gif
n

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Why not fix the leak? If that's all that's causing the oil to disappear, it would sound like it's been doing quite well.....

I need to get it fixed but just don't have the dough right now....figured i'd try something to slow it down till i do have the $$$.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's very refreshing seeing a thread about 10W-40 for a change.
04.gif

I was always tought that a thicker oil in the summer is better and added insurance against the heat. I don't know if that's a myth or what. My Dad always told me that.

Originally Posted By: Patman
in the hot summer for long periods of time. In fact, even if you don't drive it hard, you'll see 240-250F oil temps on a 90 degree day if you're stuck in traffic with the AC on.

I have a cure for that, 160F tstat and have the PCM tuner turn on electric fans at 180 F. I have an LT1 but my coolant temp stays at 185 F day or night even 90F ambient summer days in traffic. used to go to 210F regularly

I was always taught that a thicker oil in the summer is better and added insurance against the heat. I don't know if that's a myth or what. My Dad always told me that.

Your Dad's right. Oil gets thinner as the temperature increases. If the oil is too thin and allows parts to make contact, it's all over with. 10W-40 is a good summer oil.

5w30 and 10w30 weight is plenty.

40 weight is not going to keep "parts" from contacting other "parts". Theres a reason no car comes with 10w40. 5w30 or 10w30 is perfect year round. 10w40's also lack a lot of things the Xw30's have and also reduce gas milage.

OP you can try, as already said, maxlife Syn. Run their 10w30 and see what that gets ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back