How often do you change your air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watch Good Morning America and they had a little piece on how to save gas. Some race mechanic was giving the tips. He said you should probably change it with every oil change. Is that right? Mine doesn't look dirty after 2 years.

For the cost of the Air filter I'd never recover the cost from mpg savings if I went every 5K.

I don't think that would be cost effective, even if your car uses a $5 filter. I think the merits of changing the air filter at short intervals to maintain fuel economy have been severely reduced by computerized engine control.

I generally do mine every 30k miles.

I'd like to see someone do a scientific test on it though!

I do mine every 30k miles. They never look terribly dirty and I never notice any improvement in gas mileage when I change them either. I don't drive in dusty conditions too often however.

Mine's been on for about 15,000 miles so far. It doesn't look that dirty yet, I plan on keeping it on for the manufacturer's recommended interval (30k) unless I get the itch to change it sooner, which I doubt I will. The air filters for this car are kind of tough to come by, unless I have them special ordered. Every time I see one for sale, it's really old stock.

about every 30,000km although the OEM toyota schedule is 60,000km. looked very grey from fine particle dust mostly, not a lot of big stuff, which was surprising because I drive on country roads a lot.

Never, I clean it when necessary. Don't flame me, but I use an Airaid setup. No problems like some report from using K&N's

Every oil change is almost silly.
Usually every year or two is normal.
In a carbureted car, it made a much greater difference to fuel economy - it acted like a choke and enrichened the mixture.
With fuel injection engines, you only lose a bit of pumping efficiency. Not a problem unless it is really plugged or you are at full throttle.

Most people change too often IMO (except those who ignore it.) Filtration improves as it ages. Air flow would only start to affect normal operation after it gets REALLY dirty, since it is designed to flow well at full throttle/redline rpm conditions. Normal operation is a fraction of that airflow. I think far too much is made of airflow and not enough made of the improvement in efficiency over the filter's lifespan, at least for normal drivers.

I change every 50-60k in my car, in line with manufacturer's recommendations, although I probably drive a lot more dirt roads than average.

Both Tacoma and Jetta have AFE oil type airfilters...i check them every 30K or so. If they look fine i let them go to 50K before cleaning.

I say change it every 12- 15k which is about one year for the average driver. When posters say 'I don't drive on dirt roads.' Okay, you may not, but there is still dust, dirt and grime on the Interstates and 4 lane and 2 lane roads. Walk up to one and take a closer look. Out west , they often close the highways due to limited visibility from sand/dust storms. When posters say : 'I change it when it looks dirty!' I wonder if they are looking at the filter surface only. They need to look in the pleats to really see the dirt collected. Next time you pull a air filter out and look at how clean it is- gently knock it on a flat, clean surface and look at the fine dust and grit captured between the pleats. The amount of dirt will surprise you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back