ATF pan filter not in place - prognosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what happens to the AT when the felt suction filter is left off or falls out & just lays in the pan? Sucks air and shifts bad I understand but what then? The pan doesn't have a drain plug so I can't easily catch the ATF and reuse.

Not necessarily. I had one that partially fell out, it was loose and didnt have a good seal where the filter tube goes into the transmission body/hole, but the AT worked fine, the first gear shift just was a bit softer than normal, and when the transmission went down to lower gears as a result of deceleration, Id hear a bit of a clunk... nothing else.

JMH

So what are you trying to say?

Did you forget to put the new filter in?

Did you throw it in the pan and then bolt the pan up?

If it fell off, how do you know? Exray vision?

If you left the filter out, pull the pan, replace filter, replace lost fluid. Then you are good to go!

I'm believe the filter fell out as the symptoms are consistent with sucking air. Also, it didn't do this prior to change.
What damage results from no action?

If the transmission pump is in fact sucking air, then it can wear out the pump pretty quickly. It can also foam the oil and take out the whole transmission. If you're reasonably sure that this is the problem, then you'd better pull the pan.

So... what's the WHOLE story here?

If you're talking about your 4t60e, that filter can't really "fall out". But you could've damaged the seal or something.

Last edited:
well, on my 4L60E, the filter was loose.

THis was bcause the seal insert that goes into the hole was not fully pressed in.. Stupid me, it was my fault, as I was worried about damaging something.

Then guess what? Loose filter, no seal, etc. Still sucked fluid up, but just had those silly things happen.

JMH

I'm talking about an AX4S. The filter did fall out once yesterday prior to filling with fluid. It appears this happened again (different filter) after it was filled with fluid. I had not had this happen previously.

I do like Eddie's idea of sucking the fluid out prior to dropping the pan. I guess a trip to the store on Monday is in order.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
well, on my 4L60E, the filter was loose.

THis was bcause the seal insert that goes into the hole was not fully pressed in.. Stupid me, it was my fault, as I was worried about damaging something.

Then guess what? Loose filter, no seal, etc. Still sucked fluid up, but just had those silly things happen.

JMH

Yeah, Don't feel bad. I did that once. Then after pulling the pan my buddy showed me how to use a 3/8 drive deep well socket to lightly tap the seal in there with a rubber mallet. Seats it real nice. You will only lose 5 qts of fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back