Bandit 1250 Manual oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly, the new Bandit 1250 manual says to use 10W40, 15W40, or 15W50 API classification SF/SG or SH/SJ and make sure it doesn't have the energy concerving label.....OR it recommends a JASO MA oil of the same weights...

Well, API SL or SM is on all the shelves and these oils say that SL can be used where SF/SG and SH/SJ are required. And 10W40 oils aren't energy concerving...So according to suzuki's own manual a 10W40 car oil off the shelf of Walmart would be just fine since those oils can be used where SH/SJ are required and that's what is required by the manual...At least that's how it looks to me....I wonder if the SM rating meets or exceeds SF/SG and SH/SJ then why doesn't the manual just go ahead and state to use SL/SM as long as it's non energy concerving. Perhaps there is a difference in phos/zinc levels in the SL/SM rated 10W40 automotive applications (except perhaps the diesel oils).

I'm still a bit concerned about phos and zinc levels in a regular car oil like the SM rated Castrol GTX 10W40 compared to a GN4, Suzuki 4T, Castrol 4t, valvoline, or a pennzoil motorcycle oil...I wonder if these 10W40 NON energy concerving car oils have comparable additive levels to the dino MC specific oils..

Last edited:
From what I've seen most the car oils are down around 600 ppm of extreme pressure additives nowadays. where they used to be around 1000 ppm back in the SG days.

Many of the diesil oils are above 1000ppm on extreme pressure additives, yet still meet the latest automotive API standards.

(why doesn't the manual just go ahead and state to use SL/SM as long as it's non energy concerving.)

My vfr manual does say SG or HIgher oil (but no energy conserving), but it took them 20 years to post better breakin procedure metods in the manuals, so how can we expect over night change in oil classification in the manuals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back