2007 Dodge Aspen 5.7 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERB

I wanted my wife to request Synthetic oil to be added during the vehicles first oil change at our Dodge dealer. the vehicl is a Chrysler Aspen 2007 5.7 Hemi, and the dealer stated Sythetic oil was not reconmmend for any Hemi??. Is this a fact?? and if so what would be the best solution to this issue. I use Syethic oil in my 2007 Dodge Nitro 4.0, and I have had several other vehicles which I used Sythetic oil in, and I had no issues.
We take care of wheels and want to insure what we put in to the engine is the best oil for our wheels. Can you shade some light on whether the dealer was talking out his butt or do I need to listen in this case.
I look forward to hearing back on whether to use the Syethic oil or not.

Ed

I think the stealer is talking out of his rump. I put it in everything, even the lawnmower.

Last edited:
I agree he was talking out of old one eye. Exactly who said this at the dealer? Car wash boy, shop manager....?

He was talking out of his corn chute. Probably didn't have any there and didn't want to tell your wife the truth.

Like the poster above, I put it in everything as well, including the lawn tractor, regardless of how old or new it is.

My John Deere STX38 tractor is 14 years old. It gets SuperTech Synthetic and some SLOB. (For some reason, it loves SLOB. I don't get it.)

My Toyota Tundra is less than six months old. It gets AMSOIL ASM and has since 2,614 miles. (Why I remember that, I can't tell you.)

All the talk about "synthetic prevents proper break-in" is pure compost.

later,
b

Most Dodge dealer pawn the [censored] seeing they don't always carry synthetic.

They told me dad the same thing with his 2003 Ram and now it has a rattle in the lifters.

They said it would run too cold and never get up to temperature properly and my dad lapped up their [censored] like a hungry puppy.

ERB
I own a 5.7 Hemi, use syn blend or full synthetic with no adverse effects.

I agree with kd5byb he didn't have any synthetic so he was trying to sell you what he had.

BlazerLT
Swith to 5w-20 oil, that will take care of lifter tap. 2005 Hemi were specked to 5w-20.

Hi,
ERB - you have been given the wrong information. Depending on your climate a 5w-20 or 5w-30 Approved synthetic lubricant from a Major Company will do very well indeed. It will preserve your Warranty too

In OZ Mobil recommend M1 5w-30

ERB,

I take my own synthetic oil to the dealership and ask them to use my oil instead of what they offer. All I use from them is the oil filter.

My only other possible solution is to take your Aspen to another Chrysler dealership.

I have an 01' Dodge Durango with the 4.7 V-8 engine. I use Mobil 1 in mine with no back lip from the service managers.

Durango

I think your reading into this too much, what he probably meant was that the Hemi was not on the sludge monster list of Chrysler products and conventional oil would serve you well wih this engine, which is a very rugged design, I may add. Its not recommended, if you wish to use it, then you exceed the manufactures specs. I think thats what he meant.

Ran synthetic( RP 5W-30 )in my 04 HEMI Ram no problem. Synthetic 5W-20 actually helps out with the infamous HEMI tick.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think your reading into this too much, what he probably meant was that the Hemi was not on the sludge monster list of Chrysler products and conventional oil would serve you well wih this engine, which is a very rugged design, I may add. Its not recommended, if you wish to use it, then you exceed the manufactures specs. I think thats what he meant.

Panzerman,

Your probably right. From what I've read no motors more notorious for sludging than my 4.7 V-8 motor. My solution and the dealerships is too have the engine flushed every year or so and then my synthetic oil goes in afterwards. I never had any problem with sludging but it's good just in case.

Durango

From Ed with the wife who said the dealer does not want to put synthetic oil in her aspen. First thing thanks every one, for your input. I have alway used Synthetic oil, and use it now in my 4.0 Dodge Nitro R/T. I'm taking the wifes aspen in with my own synthetic oil, and if they state it would harm the engine I want it in writing, otherwise it's getting the good stuff. Again thanks.

Read your owner's manual. I don't remember the exact wording but it is like, synthetic oil is not required but acceptable. Nearest I can remember it does not recommend against synthetic, it just states that synthetic is not required.

If you bring your own oil you might want to make sure that your own oil is used. Either watch them pour it in or make them put the empty containers in the auto. Whatever you are more comfortable with. Few years back we had a thread here stating/claiming that, even if you brought your own oil, some dealers just would not use it. I have no way of validating such claims but they were made and at the time they made sense.

Just out of curiosity what does Dodge recommend for the Hemi now? 5w-30 or 5w-20. Do you have cylinder deactivation?

Originally Posted By: twentynine
Read your owner's manual. I don't remember the exact wording but it is like, synthetic oil is not required but acceptable. Nearest I can remember it does not recommend against synthetic, it just states that synthetic is not required.

If you bring your own oil you might want to make sure that your own oil is used. Either watch them pour it in or make them put the empty containers in the auto. Whatever you are more comfortable with. Few years back we had a thread here stating/claiming that, even if you brought your own oil, some dealers just would not use it. I have no way of validating such claims but they were made and at the time they made sense.

Just out of curiosity what does Dodge recommend for the Hemi now? 5w-30 or 5w-20. Do you have cylinder deactivation?

It has been 5W-20 since 05.

Originally Posted By: twentynine
That's what I thought.

My '04 is specked for 5w-30.

As was mine. It is easy for me to remember because it was the model year after my HEMI Ram they started using 5W-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back