Cat ELC, what chemistry is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am nearing a coolant change on my 2.2L ecotec which is factory filled with Dex-Cool. Someone I know has Catepillar ELC in bulk and I can get it for little to nothing, in comparison to buying off the shelf auto coolants. Question is... what chemistry is it as compared to "regular" auto coolants and can it be used in place of the Dex-Cool.

I didn't find much info about it other than suitable for automobiles and meets ASTM D3306 (which Zerex Dex-Cool also lists).

Any thoughts?

BTW - This is Catepillar's brand of extended life coolant (ELC) and is a red'ish' color. Some more searching yields other brands (Texaco, etc) that make what seems to be the exact same heavy-duty type coolant.

Any coolant or heavy-duty diesel gurus want to lend their :2cents:

It's a "NOAT" coolant. Essentially Dexcool with the addition of Nitrites to prevent liner cavitation that tends to happen in diesels.

I see no reason why you couldn't run it in an automotive application- [censored], salt water would be better than dexcool. But I'd run G-05, myself.

I got the feeling from reading that it was basically a Dex-Cool type coolant. As long as the Nitrites have no negative effect in non-diesels, I will have no problem using it. I can't pass up nearly free for something that will be changed again in aproximately 30k miles.

My current coolant is in good shape and there is no crud, discoloration, etc. visible in the filler neck or overflow and have never had a leak to this point (65K mi). Should be no worries, I guess.

Thanks Onion. Anyone else want to chime in on 'NOAT' coolants (if that's what they are referred to)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back