Zinc additive recommendations for PP or CastEdge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello gentlemen,
I'm cheap. So I bought Penzoil Platinum and castrol edge European when they were on sale for my 83 rabbit GTI. This is a flat tapped motor. Does anyone have a zinc additive recommendation to add to these oils so I can avoid having to pay for a hot rod oil from driven, etc?

You should be fine with it straight out of the bottle.

But Redline makes an excellent "Break in" additive that will fortify any oil to any level of ZDDP you wish to run.

I think your already broken in
smile.gif
You may really want to look for MolyDTC in the formula for the cam since its light spring loading not a 400lb+ open BBC race engine
smile.gif

Also for good lube, SPOHC cam are usually be bathed in oil also ala old fiat.

PYB and QSGB mixed would have big moly and boron carbamate and salycate AW/EP adds.

Remember the all the millions of mid 2000s 2AZ Camry were all flat tappet SUB as well as all the small Nissan 4s and countless other engines.

Thats an OHC engine, technically it has flat lash adjusters but its not what would be considered a flat tappet engine.
There is only the valve spring pressure on that cam not a rocker arm which acts as a multiplier like in a push rod engine creating high loads on the cam lobes.
No need for any additives.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Run the oil straight up, no additives.

I agree with this one. By adding zinc you would be diluting the other additives. I think you are even running a better oil than the car needs. But I like that oil. I run it in my car when I can get it for 20$ for 4.4 litres.

In the BBC application, a 1.7 rocker ratio would require 680 lbs
of force, not including friction to open a 400 lb spring at full lift.

Most racing and motorcycle engine oils have high zddp levels that match
the additive package so there is no risk of additive interplay.

Pick an oil you like and if you cannot find the information you need
phone the oil company information line.

This way, you don't need to be an expert on additive packages.

MOA has about 1500 ppm of zinc if that is what you are interested in. Try a dealer, my GM used to carry it, Napa, those kind of places. I'm sure it's available on-line.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Run the oil straight up, no additives.

I agree with this one. By adding zinc you would be diluting the other additives. I think you are even running a better oil than the car needs. But I like that oil. I run it in my car when I can get it for 20$ for 4.4 litres.

Which ones?

Nothing is needed, though something may be wanted.
Its good to replenish Zddp as it is consumed or converted during hard running. You merely add bit when the engine gets thrashy and
VIOLA!
away goes the thrash. Too zddp much and you'll feel there is putty between the pistons
smile.gif

You don't just dump the bottle in! (In a pcmo app)

CamShield is the only additive on the market that provides a formula to assist you in determining how much. zddp you are ending up with.and it is very concentrated. For most oils you will only need to add a 1/4 ounce of CamShield per quart of oil to bring the zinc/phosphorus levels to 1600 ppm.

I've used it off and on for the last 10 years or so

http://www.cam-shield.com

Z.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back