YouTube channel: Rainman Ray’s Repairs

Yep Rainman Ray's channel is a good one.

"The car care nut" is also a good one. This guy just might be the best car mechanic ever!

Reusing an oil pump and not even attempting to clean anything when reassembling a short block. Nope not even close. He says the right things on camera but IMO is no better than a shade tree.

Reusing an oil pump and not even attempting to clean anything when reassembling a short block. Nope not even close. He says the right things on camera but IMO is no better than a shade tree.
Nothing was wrong with the oil pump and the owner didn't want to purchase a new one.

Nothing was wrong with the oil pump and the owner didn't want to purchase a new one.
Too much of a liability, and with 300k on it, yes something is wrong with the oil pump or will be shortly. He didn't even disassemble it check clearance on the lobes. It is a huge risk and again IMO too much based on the amount already spend on the shortblock.

Too much of a liability, and with 300k on it, yes something is wrong with the oil pump or will be shortly. He didn't even disassemble it check clearance on the lobes. It is a huge risk and again IMO too much based on the amount already spend on the shortblock.
No liability if the owner said put it back as is and was explained the risk of not replacing it. You're assuming a whole lot in your claim.

Spending time making videos rather than working.
I often wondered if that was the case. Ray obviously could not divulge and knew to do zero bad mouthing of his previous employer on the innerwebs.

Regardless, it was always surprising to me that he was able to go on as long as he did filming his work while working for a busy shop owned, operated and staffed by someone else.

For me, that was part of the allure of the channel.

Regardless, it was always surprising to me that he was able to go on as long as he did filming his work while working for a busy shop owned, operated and staffed by someone else.
They clearly allowed him to do it. Maybe it was on the condition of "it doesn't interfere with your work / speed" etc etc and it ended up being this case. If so, he's not going to admit that publicly.

Why would you? IIRC it was a re-ring job, not a full overhaul. If the job was being done under warranty, they would only replace the pistons/rings and associated gaskets.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I kept thinking the gasket should stay in the groove better than that.

You're not a fan of FEL-PRO?
It’s hit or miss on Japanese cars. I’m using a Fel-Pro VG on a Prius. It looks just like the OE Toyota part - even has the Toyota p/n. I’ve used their intake manifold set on another Toyota, seems to work OK. I had issues with a Fel-Pro Honda VCG, ended up “using” my employee discount at the dealer at the time. Supposedly, their OE replacement Honda oil pan and Subaru head gaskets take their ethos of improving on the OE design - like they always do with American stuff.

Their gaskets for American engines are better. I have a feeling unless it’s made in China or Taiwan, Fel-Pro buys from one of the Japanese gasket makers(Ishino-Stone, an affiliate of Freudenberg or other) and reboxes it.

I’d have to disagree on the gaskets but we all have our opinions and preferences and experiences and that’s ok. That’s all I’d put on my vehicles. I wouldn’t go near Mahle. Most OEM are likely Fel-Pro. For me it’s Fel-Pro or nothing. I’ll use OEM at work if that’s what they get otherwise me and the techs request Fel-Pro.

I like his YouTube videos. Isn’t he the guy that got fired from a shop awhile back? I also think he done a socket break test at one point too but I watch so many YouTube videos it’s hard to remember.
Fel-Pro may do some OE business, but IMO they focus on aftermarket. Freudenberg, Dana(Victor Reinz), Elring and a few others are suppliers to the American and European OEs. Freudenberg has joint venture with NOK in the US. The Japanese OEs I don’t know about - but a Toyota affiliate(Toyoda Gosei and Taiho Kogyo) seems to have Toyota covered. And then there’s the smaller suppliers who work on Tier 1 contracts like these guys: https://morganpolymerseals.com/customers

I like the filming concept when working on cars, especially on questionable customers vehicles.

This video makes a good point when bringing a questionable car in as not to blame the technician for stuff falling apart.

His videos make my morning. Helps me motivate to do my pre-trip inspections lol.

I've been watching rainmanraysrapairs for several months and since he was at the other shop that he ultimately left. I even watched the episode where he walked away and talked about it.

I watch him occasionally, but he is not my favorite mechanic or diagnostic guy that I watch. Some of the words and phrases he uses in his videos irritate me for some reason. Like when he turns off the vehicle and says "powering down"

Swivels or u-joints? Two different things.

The SO chrome u-joints actually work surprisingly well.
I mean swivel sockets, but the correct term is "Flex" sockets if you're a Snap-on fan.

Swivel sockets shouldn't go directly on the end of a ratchet; they belong on the end of an extension otherwise they can be unwieldy.

I always use my swivel sockets on the end of a 10 inch or longer extension because usually I'm trying to get somewhere remotely where my hand won't fit into.

Recently discovered his channel. Love his positive attitude and humor as he works thru the struggles of being a new shop owner and as an all makes/models technician. Not saying I agree with how he does every repair, but we all have our opinions and I appreciate how realistic he is.
Have followed him for over 4 years, have very rarely disagreed. Hard working and honest. Not enough like him.

Back