YouTube channel: Rainman Ray’s Repairs

I do like Rainman's channel.

I also highly recommend the following:
Pine Hollow Automotive Diagnostics

This guy is a savant when it comes to diagnosing electrican issues, and some mechanical ones as well. I am facinated by the things he can track down; he does everything methodically and logically. Sometimes it's really simple stuff he finds that causes complex problems. Other times, it's intricate stuff which makes your head spin. Either way, I learning something every single time.

Fast forward to 33 minutes in. Watching him struggle with that valve cover gasket is mentally painful. Why not just put something on the gasket to hold it in place? He seems to have a rambunctious impatient attitude while working. That's not good.

I also highly recommend the following:
Pine Hollow Automotive Diagnostics

This guy is a savant when it comes to diagnosing electrican issues, and some mechanical ones as well.
+1 on Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics...

Ivan's latest foray into using a prototype wifi recorder for pinpointing intermittent current draws on a '17 Lincoln MKC was brillant!

Fast forward to 33 minutes in. Watching him struggle with that valve cover gasket is mentally painful. Why not just put something on the gasket to hold it in place? He seems to have a rambunctious impatient attitude while working. That's not good.

I’ve been on the struggle bus before with those blue Fail-Pro gaskets. In that application, the OE Toyota gaskets do not have that issue; they fit perfectly in the groove and stay in place.

I’ve been on the struggle bus before with those blue Fail-Pro gaskets. In that application, the OE Toyota gaskets do not have that issue; they fit perfectly in the groove and stay in place.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I kept thinking the gasket should stay in the groove better than that.

You're not a fan of FEL-PRO?

I’ll use their metal intake and rubber intake plenum gaskets, but that’s about it.

I don’t trust any of their gaskets used for sealing in liquids; they either fit poorly or fail quickly.
That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind.

Have you tried any gaskets from MAHLE?

Not sure if you've watched or not, but Watch Wes Work can be interesting. Not being in the biz I don't watch too many diagnostic videos, but they pop up as suggestions time to time.

But I think him and South Main Auto might scare you out of car work, if you see what we think of as "normal" rust levels on our rides, out here in the rust belt.

I’ll use their metal intake and rubber intake plenum gaskets, but that’s about it.

I don’t trust any of their gaskets used for sealing in liquids; they either fit poorly or fail quickly.
Their J-Series Honda valve cover gaskets are garbage for sure. I think the last set I used didn't make it 6 months here in GA before they were leaking again.

And no, it isn't an install problem. For anyone not familiar, most J-Series use a bolt that actually bottoms out on the boss, so you can't smash the gasket too much....you can tighten them all you want and all you'll do is snap the head off the bolt.

I’d have to disagree on the gaskets but we all have our opinions and preferences and experiences and that’s ok. That’s all I’d put on my vehicles. I wouldn’t go near Mahle. Most OEM are likely Fel-Pro. For me it’s Fel-Pro or nothing. I’ll use OEM at work if that’s what they get otherwise me and the techs request Fel-Pro.

I like his YouTube videos. Isn’t he the guy that got fired from a shop awhile back? I also think he done a socket break test at one point too but I watch so many YouTube videos it’s hard to remember.

I’d have to disagree on the gaskets but we all have our opinions and preferences and experiences and that’s ok. That’s all I’d put on my vehicles. I wouldn’t go near Mahle. Most OEM are likely Fel-Pro. For me it’s Fel-Pro or nothing.
Made by the same supplier is often irrelevant. The molds and materials used for the aftermarket are often different.

If the gasket needs to keep liquids in, I’m not using fel-pro.

Made by the same supplier is often irrelevant. The molds and materials used for the aftermarket are often different.

If the gasket needs to keep liquids in, I’m not using fel-pro.
Have you had bad experiences with them? I’ve never had a comeback or failure when installing one. Use them all the time on oil pans or timing covers. Exhaust too but those are metal.

Back