YouTube channel: Rainman Ray’s Repairs

Yes. Poor fitment. See them leaking after a few years.
Thanks for sharing. I’ll be keeping an eye on my Escape valve cover gaskets. Replaced with Fel-Pro in 2020 and about 25,000 miles. I purchased the timing cover gasket kit for it as well as oil pan but I still have to do both of those. Also purchased valve cover gasket for my truck from them too that I need to do. On the older Camry the valve cover gasket is doing ok replaced it in 2018. But I’ll keep an eye out to make sure no leaks begin. These are the first problems I’m hearing of these so I appreciate the insight.

Fast forward to 33 minutes in. Watching him struggle with that valve cover gasket is mentally painful. Why not just put something on the gasket to hold it in place? He seems to have a rambunctious impatient attitude while working. That's not good.

I saw that too. I had to skip ahead. It's funny getting mad at someone else working. Almost like sports. I also find myself thinking, 🤬 why is he using those junk parts? On some stuff.

I’d have to disagree on the gaskets but we all have our opinions and preferences and experiences and that’s ok. That’s all I’d put on my vehicles. I wouldn’t go near Mahle. Most OEM are likely Fel-Pro. For me it’s Fel-Pro or nothing. I’ll use OEM at work if that’s what they get otherwise me and the techs request Fel-Pro.

I like his YouTube videos. Isn’t he the guy that got fired from a shop awhile back? I also think he done a socket break test at one point too but I watch so many YouTube videos it’s hard to remember.
Opinion #3 or 4 checking in. Fel-pro Ford 2v intake gaskets work fine better than original equipment. The OEM is redesigned to match the Fel Pro redesign on some vehicles so they must be doing something right. Mahle are also good IMO. Honda VCG from Mahle is Japanese, probably OEM, reboxed. Good history with them on BMWs too.

I saw that too. I had to skip ahead. It's funny getting mad at someone else working. Almost like sports. I also find myself thinking, 🤬 why is he using those junk parts? On some stuff.
And then I had to watch him struggle with that swivel socket. Electric ratchets and swivel sockets don't mix; somebody should tell him that.

many techs are incapable of slowing down and taking a break to read service info. watching him attempt to diag a denso clutchless compressor or try to rebuild a ford 9.75 with no tools was hilarious

Last edited:
And then I had to watch him struggle with that swivel socket.
I wanted to yell at my laptop scream "take that stupid swivel joint off !"

many techs are incapable of slowing down and taking a break to read service info
If you're referring to "Ray", he uses service data and wiring diagrams when diagnosing quite often.
as he works thru the struggles of being a new shop owner
I am concerned if he'll make it. At this point, I believe he works solely on word-of-mouth but he seems to have plenty of vehicles coming through so far. If I'm not mistaken, he's renting the place he's in and it's a pretty run-down place, plus is he putting his own money into it with all that demo work, adding overhead doors, and so on ? I hope not !

He does have a 1/2 million YouTube subscribers so he's probably making as much money from YT as he does from work, which explains why he's putting out a video on a daily basis.

And then I had to watch him struggle with that swivel socket. Electric ratchets and swivel sockets don't mix; somebody should tell him that.
Swivels or u-joints? Two different things.

The SO chrome u-joints actually work surprisingly well.

many techs are incapable of slowing down and taking a break to read service info. watching him attempt to diag a denso clutchless compressor or try to rebuild a ford 9.75 with no tools was hilarious
Hence, his videos are a realistic snapshot of a working tech's life, not an armchair one.

You're not a fan of FEL-PRO?
I’ll use their metal intake and rubber intake plenum gaskets, but that’s about it.

I don’t trust any of their gaskets used for sealing in liquids; they either fit poorly or fail quickly.
I'll put that on my list of things to think about when it becomes gasket time. Thanks for your opinion.

Opinion #3 or 4 checking in. Fel-pro Ford 2v intake gaskets work fine better than original equipment. The OEM is redesigned to match the Fel Pro redesign on some vehicles so they must be doing something right. Mahle are also good IMO. Honda VCG from Mahle is Japanese, probably OEM, reboxed. Good history with them on BMWs too.
Thanks, too, for your opinion and others like yours. As I said to the critic, I'll keep this in mind when the time comes for gaskets.

Recently discovered his channel. Love his positive attitude and humor as he works thru the struggles of being a new shop owner and as an all makes/models technician. Not saying I agree with how he does every repair, but we all have our opinions and I appreciate how realistic he is.

If I was still in Florida.. I would have brought my car to him. His official termination happened shortly after the hurricane. I was in line and had an appointment for services a few weeks out; obviously, it never made it.

Ray is a stand-up guy and it is now well known is on to his own venture. I believe he is in the Sarasota area, if not Sarasota. May have to check his channel out again, seems he is back up and running.

He had pretty good diag skills and was more a Technician than a Mechanic when he was working for the business he was previously working for. It seems he may have a new content structure.. He is an inspiration for me, and I'll probably check it out. He interacts with YouTube comments probably as much as he can in between and after work, as well.

Wrenching With Kenny, Watch Wes Work, South Main Auto, pretty sure Eric The Car Guy a.k.a. ETCG1 (Two channels) doesn't make new content, not sure??.. are all really good. There are a few more slipping my mind but. If Rainman Ray is back in the game, I will for sure check him out!

And I don't see an issue with his proficient and expedient use of an impact gun for almost everything, including removal of but not instalation of spark plugs...

In this instance, he had it on an impact driver but was using it on completely accessible fasteners. Issue was he was using it one-handed since he holds the camera in his other hand. Basically he was trying to put the socket on while the "adapter" was all floppy. I presume it was just a case where he needs it in some spots and just doesn't want to remove it, put it back, remove it again, etc.

Hence, his videos are a realistic snapshot of a working tech's life, not an armchair one.
I'm an armchair mechanic after I finish a job my self. Thinking "why did I make it so hard on myself, I could have just done it this way....."

If I was still in Florida.. I would have brought my car to him. His official termination happened shortly after the hurricane. I was in line and had an appointment for services a few weeks out; obviously, it never made it.

Ray is a stand-up guy and it is now well known is on to his own venture. I believe he is in the Sarasota area, if not Sarasota. May have to check his channel out again, seems he is back up and running.

He had pretty good diag skills and was more a Technician than a Mechanic when he was working for the business he was previously working for. It seems he may have a new content structure.. He is an inspiration for me, and I'll probably check it out. He interacts with YouTube comments probably as much as he can in between and after work, as well.

Wrenching With Kenny, Watch Wes Work, South Main Auto, pretty sure Eric The Car Guy a.k.a. ETCG1 (Two channels) doesn't make new content, not sure??.. are all really good. There are a few more slipping my mind but. If Rainman Ray is back in the game, I will for sure check him out!

And I don't see an issue with his proficient and expedient use of an impact gun for almost everything, including removal of but not instalation of spark plugs...
Why did he get fired?

Back