Your thoughts: Jetta TDI vs. Accord/Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, so much for out-of-the-box, huh . . ?

Pitzel, read through the linked materials from that non-profit. As the NHTSA will tell you, as well, safety ratings are only comparable for other cars within a 200-lb weight range. Of course, weight/size is not the only story.

Of course, Astrovic, you could always go for that "old-time feeling" with a used San Antonio CV:

http://www.swps.com/used-police-cars---vehicles.html

[ June 18, 2006, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: TheTanSedan ]

State Farm gives the Crown Vic a 20% vehicle safety discount.

Honda Accord 4D: 10%

Honda Accord 2D: 0%

Honda Civic (4D and 2D): 0%

Scion tC: 10%

Saab 93: 40%

Of course these are dependent upon both vehicle safety and the type of driver that tends to drive that sort of vehicle. The fact that the "Too Fast, Too Furious" crowd loves the Civic is evident here, with it's 0% discount.

I dont know if it was already mentioned, but diesel cars (not trucks) may be put on the shelves on '07 for awhile while the manufacturers implement their particulate traps and other emmission devices the govt has mandated.

Have you tried a '07 Camry 4cyl 5spd manual? the SE flavor may be what you are looking for.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Originally posted by Matt_S:
[qb] Any proper european car has it this way... I suppose for cost savings just as much as anything else...

I have come to prefer center console switches, actually... there is something about having everything in the middle that appeals to me.
My biggest beef with the center switches, at least with the way Chevy did them, is that I can't hit both front window switches at once. I also wish that they'd make EVERY window switch have auto up AND down, like most Cadillacs have.
Interesting points...

I dont generally drive with the windows down, and so never need to do more than one at a time... but I can see how thats an issue. My BMW and MB have big spacing between the switches - so its nothing abnormal to me
smile.gif

I also dont really like auto down on all the windows. I have that on my saab, and when I just try to crack them all, sometimes I trip the auto down... no biggie, just a silly gripe, but I just dont have the need..

Auto up is WONDERFUL on all windows!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by DriveHard:
yes, I drive a 2001 Jetta TDI. Just got 51 mpg with mixed driving on my last tank...

For someone who drives 220 miles a day to work - 51 MPG would be great! I currently get 37mpg and thought that was great...
tongue.gif
If I keep this job I'll definitely consider a TDI!

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
Plus, he told me they're "getting $2,500 over sticker price" on them, which effectively cancels out any potential fuel savings the car might have offered. Goodbye, Jetta.

Likely you experienced the verbal diarrhea of a pathologically-lying VW salesman. I was told the same thing a few years ago about the TDI here in Canada by a VW dealer (despite a whole car lot full of TDI's that were barely moving). My sister fell for that trick at the Honda dealer with a Civic -- she ended up paying sticker.

If you really want a VW TDI, the trick is to just not be gullible in believing that sort of garbage. But it really does reflect poorly on the dealer, especially since its a buyers market for cars these days, and will likely remain so for a long time to come.

Some VW dealerships are getting over MSRP on the TDI's...its a fact. They are not going to be made in '07 for sure. There are still some out there, and some dealerships selling at MSRP or maybe slightly below. You are not going to be ordering a custom one though, that is for sure. It is NOT a buyers market for these cars right now, that is for sure. I know several TDI guys that are selling them right now just because they can get more than they paid for them. They plan on driving something cheap for a year and then re-investing on the 08's.

As far as the comment about the poor diesel quality in the US...its about done. The new ULSD (ultra low sulfer diesel) is being phased in. Its already available at some gas stations, and will be maditory within a year I believe.

VW does not recomend running Bio-D in their PD cars (latest version). I think the best you can run is like 5% and stay in warrenty...something to keep in mind if you plan on running bio-d.

Many VW dealerships know little to nothing about the TDI versions. Be careful with your dealer...they may just ruin your car if you bring it back to them after the sale. I may shy away from teh TDI if you are not capable of doing your own maintenance.

The latest version of the TDI requires special oil that meets a certain VW spec (can't remember number off top of head). Not many oils do this, and you will see visual failure of the cam if it is not used.

To learn more FACTS about these cars, feel free to drop by tdiclub.com. Browsing the FAQ is a good place to start.

yes, I drive a 2001 Jetta TDI. Just got 51 mpg with mixed driving on my last tank. I am trying a 2% bio-d mix this tank, and so far mileage looks to be nearly as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back