Your thoughts: Jetta TDI vs. Accord/Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
You say you're trying to think out of the box, right? IMHO, Honda Accords and Civics are very in-the-box cars. How about a Chevy HHR? I was very pleasantly surprised when I drove one. They're roomy, quiet, have good power and fuel economy and have a very nice interior. You can get side air bags on all models. The one we have at work is an LT with the leather interior. I must say it's very classy. The only thing I'd ding Chevy for is that the window switches are on the center console, which takes a little getting used to. I could easily take a highway trip in this car, though, and be very comforable (I'm 6'0" and 260 lbs BTW). They're flying out of the showrooms, too, so I must not be the only one that likes them.

Just a thought...

Get Accord. Jetta is build in south America. It is a gamble. Have 2 friends, both have Jetta 2003, one has no problem another is a lemon.

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
Originally posted by Matt_S:
[qb] Any proper european car has it this way... I suppose for cost savings just as much as anything else...

I have come to prefer center console switches, actually... there is something about having everything in the middle that appeals to me.
My biggest beef with the center switches, at least with the way Chevy did them, is that I can't hit both front window switches at once. I also wish that they'd make EVERY window switch have auto up AND down, like most Cadillacs have.

If I had to pick from your list, I'd go with a Civic. If I didn't, I'd get a Hyundai Elantra. Less money, better warranty, just as nice of a car too.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
The only thing I'd ding Chevy for is that the window switches are on the center console, which takes a little getting used to.

Any proper european car has it this way... I suppose for cost savings just as much as anything else...

I have come to prefer center console switches, actually... there is something about having everything in the middle that appeals to me.

Not that in the end all it matters one measly bit, IMO... and wouldnt make me by or not buy a car.

But I agree that the HHR is a decent little vehicle, and surely a deal could be had that beats the others by a HUGE amount.

JMH

Agree with Jetta's reliability (transmission, little electronics, ECU, etc) even if the engine is decent.

Civic is good but if you feel that it is small, then Jetta won't be much bigger. Accord is probably too big for teens and IMO doesn't look cool at all, but to each of their own.

If you are not hauling a lot of people, what about a Scion tC? It is basically a 2 dr 4 cyl Camry and good bang for the buck, economy is 26/30 or something like that, not too much off. Your daughter will love it when she got it in a few years, and it is a lot of car for the money.

If you want a bit more upscale, RSX base model is good but as you say, if Civic is cramped, then RSX is not any better.

1) Jetta is much bigger than the Civic, but still smaller than the Accord.

2) Jetta's 6-spd Automatic Transmission is an Aisin-Warner unit, similar to the ones Toyota and Ford use.

3) tC's fuel efficiency sucks. You can obtain similar mileage from a V6 Camry/Accord.

4) RSX has been discontinued.

quote:

My biggest beef with the center switches, at least with the way Chevy did them, is that I can't hit both front window switches at once. I also wish that they'd make EVERY window switch have auto up AND down, like most Cadillacs have.

It's so simple to do. BMW has been doing it since the `92 3-series and maybe even earlier on the 5/7-series. A decade and a half later GM is still behind, I was suprised in the new Vette they gave auto down on both windows like the C5 but no auto up!?!

92 Subaru Legacy had an auto-up/dn, but 01 only had dn, which is in fact annoying since sometimes I don't want it going all the way down and I have to fumble with it to get it to stop if I press it too hard.

quote:

Originally posted by windnsea00:
It's so simple to do.

I think there has to be a sensor to detect any obstructions (like someone's hand) in the way, and reverse the window. The Saabs which have auto-up windows have such a sensor.

Update:

I finally got a day off, so I decided to spend some time test driving cars.

First, I went to the VW dealership and asked to test drive a TDI. The salesman told me that they don't have any available - this is a large Houston dealership! - and that they weren't likely to have any more available anytime soon. He said since the Jetta is dropping the TDI for a year, they are basically as scarce as German Castrol. Plus, he told me they're "getting $2,500 over sticker price" on them, which effectively cancels out any potential fuel savings the car might have offered. Goodbye, Jetta.

I then test drove a Honda Accord. I sat in an EX model and my head was crammed into the roof (less head room with the moon roof), so I then opted to drive an LX Special Edition. The car was nice and the 4-cylinder really had as much power as you'd ever need, but I have to be totally honest when I tell you it wasn't all that great. Basically, it was a REALLY boring ride all the way around. Not necessarily a deal-breaker, but a snoozer to be sure. I'm not really sure I could stomach paying $23,000 to be thoroughly bored with my new car.

I then asked to test drive a Civic, but the salesman told me they didn't have any available. What?! Again, this is a HUGE Honda dealership here in Houston. He told me the Civics sell as soon as they hit the lot. He also said they get full sticker price for them without any questions. I left there and drove to another enormous Honda dealership only to discover the same thing there. No Civics. Goodbye, Civic.

I then stopped by a Ford dealership. (I'm partial to Fords due to my excellent experiences with their cars.) I drove a Fusion SE with the Duratec V6 and leather interior. I've gotta say, that car really surprised me! It had excellent road manners, PLENTY of power (albeit only 29MPG on the highway), a very nice transmission, and overall felt very tight and quiet. It had all of the options I'd ever want and was very reasonably priced. Furthermore, Ford is always happy to bargain and give you a good deal. (Resale doesn't matter to me with this car, so that wasn't a concern of mine.) Plus, the Fusion was really comfortable for a mid-sized sedan - certainly more comfortable than anything else in that size category I've driven.

Needless to say, I'm going to be taking a long hard look at the Fusions. I'll probably opt for a Fusion SEL V6 with all of the bells and whistles. I'm guessing I can get it for about $20,000 plus TTL. So, I wouldn't be surprised if one of them ends up in my garage before too long.

Thanks for all of the comments so far.
smile.gif

Keep 'em coming if you'd like to chime in!

While I like the looks of the outside of the Fusion, the interior is *****.
And as far as this "boring" or "snoozer" comment I keep seeing attached to cars like the Camry, I can't see how anyone thinks the Fusion isn't one as well?
As I said, it's nice, but for the price, nothing great. In fact, my Scion has more "bang for the buck" and my daughter's new Altima is really nice as well.

I don't know. So many good cars, but if you want a good "deal" and resale doesn't matter, Ford looks good right now. I just went by my local dealer, and they had TONS of Mustangs of all flavors, Fusions, 500s, etc. so I know you can get a great deal at the moment.

As for Toyota - they're building another new dealership in Pasadena. They're selling cars like hotcakes.

Scott

quote:

Originally posted by dima:
Get Accord. Jetta is build in south America. It is a gamble. Have 2 friends, both have Jetta 2003, one has no problem another is a lemon.

Jetta is built in North America. (Mexico)

Also some Accords(minority) are built in Mexico also.

Under the parameters of size, purchase price and safety I'd pick a 2005 Crown Vic. Have seen too many fleet operators rack up hundreds-of-thousands of miles with low overall cost of operation to believe the Accord (best default choice above, IMO) is any better.

From EDMUNDS "True Cost to Own"

2006 HONDA Accord (lowest price model) $19,100
Depreciation/Financing/Insurance = $18,900
Fuel = $7,500
Cost per mile of operation: 43-cents
Overall cost = $32,500

2005 FORD Crown Victoria (model unspecified) $17,800
Dep/Fin/Ins = $18,700
Fuel = $10,077
Cost per mile of operation = 47-cents
Overall cost = $35,320

The cost difference is fuel, or, $1.40 per day for a much more comfortable, capable and safer car. And less likely to be stolen when it hits the 6-7 year mark.

http://www.informedforlife.org/

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story...olen&story=hotWheels&referer=advice&aff=mcall

You and your little girl can do your part for NAFTA

http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=3088

Since you wanted out-of-the-box.

Finally, I am 6'1" and about 180-lbs. The wife's Lexus is quite nice, but not after 100 miles when I can't shift around and find a better position. Sure can't wear a Stetson in it either.

Have some fun and play with other numbers besides fuel. It simply isn't as important a cost as people make it out to be when placed in perspective.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:
Plus, he told me they're "getting $2,500 over sticker price" on them, which effectively cancels out any potential fuel savings the car might have offered. Goodbye, Jetta.

Likely you experienced the verbal diarrhea of a pathologically-lying VW salesman. I was told the same thing a few years ago about the TDI here in Canada by a VW dealer (despite a whole car lot full of TDI's that were barely moving). My sister fell for that trick at the Honda dealer with a Civic -- she ended up paying sticker.

If you really want a VW TDI, the trick is to just not be gullible in believing that sort of garbage. But it really does reflect poorly on the dealer, especially since its a buyers market for cars these days, and will likely remain so for a long time to come.

quote:

Originally posted by TheTanSedan:
2005 Ford Crown Victoria... safer car. [than a Honda Accord]

Don't know about this claim. Just because the Crown Vic is a larger car does not make it 'safer'.

TheTanSedan,

Take a look at my name.
smile.gif

I've owned four Crown Victorias and I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of 650,000 miles on them during my police career. So, yes, I fully understand the beauty of the Crown Vic.
smile.gif

That's why I said in a previous post that I was partial to Fords due to my good experiences I've had with them. In fact, when I was at the Ford lot looking at the Fusion I saw a nice Crown Vic LX Sport sitting there and my heart strings started pulling me that way.
smile.gif

Anyhow, the car hunting game is still in its early stages. So far, the Fusion leads the pack, but I'm also starting to have some interest in the Ford 500/Mercury Montegos (but I'd only buy them as a year or two old used car to take the benefit of the depreciation). Same would go for a Crown Vic.

Yea, the insurance rates on both groups of drivers tell the tale:

Civic: High insurance premiums.

Crown Vic: Low insurance premiums.

Thank the "Too Fast, Too Furious" crowd for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back