Your style of post oil change clean-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
For wiping oil pan afterwards or anything else, drain plug, floor drips. I use the same rag or couple paper towels for all through the whole process.

I wipe the pan so I can check for leaks afterwards just in case. Or if a leak develops I know I wiped that area clean on the last change. Otherwise I am left wondering if it is a new leak or just residual oil from the last change.

As you get better at dropping oil with a jack and stands you should only have a filter mount dribble and a drain plug dribble, all wiped up with an old rag you store in a metal can with an airtight lid, like a coffee can.

You do this so you don't waste resources. Even paper towels are wasteful. I have used the same dirty rag to wipe up these minor dribbles for 2 years.

Have a separate coffee can with a lid for plopping off the filter. It is less messy than just leaving it in your drain pan.

Get a drain pan with a spigot, so you can insert it back into the empty oil jug for a mess and funnel free transfer.

Cap everything up and put your dirty oil rag back into the coffee can for the next oil change.

Drop everything off at a local garage or recycler that handles this stuff, never throw an old filter into the garbage or oil. It is very nasty stuff.

Never use brake cleaner for anything other than cleaning oil off of brand new rotors before installation.

This stuff is very toxic, expensive, and not needed.

If you must use a soap to clean anything up, use Dawn (very powerful stuff!!!) or my favorite, Simple Green.

I use blue shop towels or old rags and clean just wipe it down. Any oil from the previous change is usually dried up or gone by the next time.

The Fumoto really minimizes the mess, but the filter certainly creates a mess of it's own. I make sure I have a trash back or large towel on the ground to avoid the oil hitting the pavement.

WOW!! If you're that concerned about the few drips under the oil pan what would you do about the oil run off from a horizontal placed oil filter when removing?

Just asking.

I am a bit surprised by the responses here. For a crowd that obsesses so much about their choice of engine oil, I would expect a bit more perfection in the actual oil change procedure.

For the record, I do not use an entire can of brake cleaner. I usually use around 1/3 of a can. I cannot comment on other countries, but around here, I pay about $3/can of brake cleaner. Paying $1-2 per oil change to ensure that I have a pristine and drip-free undercarriage is worth the money, IMO. Also, do note that many of the newer cars that I work on have underbody covers that keep the underside away from the elements, so there is incentive to keep the oil pan and engine block clean.

In addition, I did not mean to sound like a slob…I do not drip copious amounts of oil everywhere. In fact, it’s usually just a few drops or small amount of run-off, unless it’s a Gen 7 Civic or Accord. I like to clean up the areas really well (not even have a film of oil) so that I can more easily spot the slightest leaks.

Lastly, if you were getting an oil change, wouldn’t you EXPECT the oil pan and oil filter mounting areas to be squeaky clean after an oil change? That is how a professional oil change should look. Plus, if I was doing an oil change on my parents’ cars and the oil pan and oil filter were anything less than squeaky clean, my dad would be very upset.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
WOW!! If you're that concerned about the few drips under the oil pan what would you do about the oil run off from a horizontal placed oil filter when removing?

Just asking.

Like on a 01-05 Civic? I wipe off as much as I can with paper towels, then soak the entire area and oil pan with brake clean to degrease it.

I change my oil, get extremely dirty, usually leave a puddle of oil on the floor because I knocked over the oil catch, didn't position it right, or kicked over an open bottle of new oil while looking for the wrench I laid down three minutes prior. I frequently misplace things including the drain pan bolt, the new oil, the wrenches, and the new filter. Sometimes I throw the rag somewhere and it ends up covering a vital tool. My wife just laughs. Sometimes I put cat litter over the spill, sometimes I just don't care. Depends on how I'm feeling and how big the spill is.

I get oil on my drain pan, on my arms, on the garage floor, and on my clothing. I have special clothing I wear for oil changes. I'm a messy guy. Then I hop in the shower and throw my oily clothes in the wash with bleach and Era. The oil never comes out of course but at least I know they're clean and smell fresh for the next go around in 3 months.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Just using the good old RED shop rag to wipe the drain plug and filter area.

I have one too. Good ole 'red' is a handy fellow.

most old clothes, i have 3 girls and they change clothes often as they are growing, so i have more then a few left over after donating to local charity. i uses a tote and put oils and tools there for that particular job there til the end, i did it after a major spill because i knock down a jug on the floor by accident. once... my daughter was potty training, and we have dry pampers.... i used it to soak up the over flowed ATF. the tube did not insert all the way into the fill hole and pop out, and i did not realize the problem til fluid start to hit the floor with the dripping noise, maybe a good half qt. i rush into the house and grip anything i see that can absorb fluid. the #5 pamper was laying on the floor and so i took it. i used old clothes and wood dust to clean up the floor, and i tuck the Pamper between the block and plastic under body tray for 5 days to catch any atf dripping from the top of the block. now I have a box of left over pampers ready for emergency, fluid spill, water spill
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
I change my oil, get extremely dirty, usually leave a puddle of oil on the floor because I knocked over the oil catch, didn't position it right, or kicked over an open bottle of new oil while looking for the wrench I laid down three minutes prior. I frequently misplace things including the drain pan bolt, the new oil, the wrenches, and the new filter. Sometimes I throw the rag somewhere and it ends up covering a vital tool. My wife just laughs. Sometimes I put cat litter over the spill, sometimes I just don't care. Depends on how I'm feeling and how big the spill is.

I get oil on my drain pan, on my arms, on the garage floor, and on my clothing. I have special clothing I wear for oil changes. I'm a messy guy. Then I hop in the shower and throw my oily clothes in the wash with bleach and Era. The oil never comes out of course but at least I know they're clean and smell fresh for the next go around in 3 months.
lol.gif

We have all had those oil changes. I know I have!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
For the record, I do not use an entire can of brake cleaner.

That is what you said, though...or at least it's how it read.

Quote:
I usually take an entire can of brake cleaner...

With each change I try to see how little oil I will spill, but when it comes to the differential for some reason I get it all over, no matter how many cardboard boxes or newspapers spread out. With stains all around the area I was working and even random areas far from where I was working.

As someone mentioned Simple green is great at removing oil stains from the floor or anywhere you dont want oil. This way the wife never knows and cant suggest that maybe I should just let those those Jiffy Lube guys take care it.

lol.gif

This quote has truly brightened up my day!
It's nice to know that other people do messy oil changes.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I am a bit surprised by the responses here. For a crowd that obsesses so much about their choice of engine oil, I would expect a bit more perfection in the actual oil change procedure.

For the record, I do not use an entire can of brake cleaner. I usually use around 1/3 of a can. I cannot comment on other countries, but around here, I pay about $3/can of brake cleaner. Paying $1-2 per oil change to ensure that I have a pristine and drip-free undercarriage is worth the money, IMO. Also, do note that many of the newer cars that I work on have underbody covers that keep the underside away from the elements, so there is incentive to keep the oil pan and engine block clean.

In addition, I did not mean to sound like a slob…I do not drip copious amounts of oil everywhere. In fact, it’s usually just a few drops or small amount of run-off, unless it’s a Gen 7 Civic or Accord. I like to clean up the areas really well (not even have a film of oil) so that I can more easily spot the slightest leaks.

Lastly, if you were getting an oil change, wouldn’t you EXPECT the oil pan and oil filter mounting areas to be squeaky clean after an oil change? That is how a professional oil change should look. Plus, if I was doing an oil change on my parents’ cars and the oil pan and oil filter were anything less than squeaky clean, my dad would be very upset.

I see no reason to be that OCD about cleaning the undercarriage. I just wipe up whatever is on there with paper towels. I don't care if there is a coating of oil on it. It's a good thing imo. Heck, some people get the entire underside of the car sprayed with it to prevent undercarriage rust.

Then again you spend more time washing your car once than I spend washing in an entire year.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

lol.gif

This quote has truly brightened up my day!
It's nice to know that other people do messy oil changes.

This is pretty the way I do it too lol.

Hah, and Critic doesn't want to know about the 2.2L Cavalier, the oil filter was squeezed between the tranny/firewall and the Engine. Was a complete PITA to get off, and I never wiped up all the oil in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back