Your SRX thoughts?

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
Random thoughts.

Tony Stewart proves once again he's a great driver. He raced clean and deserved his wins. That said, it's mildly uncool to be the champion of the series you created. A win or two fine. Can't help wondering how much time he spent in these cars.

Paul Tracy's legacy is intact. It's always the other driver's fault and should have gotten out of his way. He also needs to learn to push back from the table.

Helio Castroneves was racy and gave some back surprisingly. I'm still having a hard time processing teen driver Deegan telling multi Indy 500 winner Helio how to drive the Nashville track. Did we really see that?

Hailie Deegan has some skills and wasn't intimidated by any of the old legends on or off the track. She has more personality than Danica ever did. Don't know enough about her but her dad has been huge in the offroad racing world.

Mikey, Willie T, and Awesome Bill will hopefully graciously give up their seats to someone else if there's a season 2. Bet there will be no shortage of retired drivers wanting in.

The rest of the drivers, meh, take or leave. The track ringers were interesting, some did better than others.

Gotta remember this is made for tv entertainment not serious racing. That said the competition yellow needs to go (let 'em race) and the clock should stop in the heats under yellow but they need to fit their time slot so probably not.

The dirt racing was better than the pavement racing. They should forget fiberglass bodies.

Wouldn't mind if one of the car makers got involved and they raced recognizable cars like Camaro or Mustang or Challenger. Bet they're taking notice.

I admit I wasn't impressed with the first race but hung in there and watched them all, mostly.

What did you think?

I can't understand why anyone would care who wins or not.
This is like Major League Baseball players playing at minor league games.

Dirt is almost always more interesting to watch than asphalt, though the extremely short course at Slinger was pretty good.

I think the competition yellow is here to stay as a money maker. The races are short so missing 5-7 minutes during a commercial means missing a good portion of the race.

Deegan, if I'm not mistaken, has some recent experience in Super Late Model. Not exactly the same as SRX but in the ballpark.

Paul Tracy did Danica Patrick's livery color proud by using his car mostly as a hammer instead of a scalpel.

I know a bunch of people that were watching each race, many more than I know that watch NASCAR.

I watched the last half of the season since that was where it was when I heard about it. I really enjoyed watching them! As to whether or not it is "real", I really doubt you could ever tame the competitive nature of people like this and their desire to run up front. The racing was good quality and they had some cool stuff in between the heat races and main event to watch so I liked it better than the current racing stuff you see of TV most weekends.

I completely enjoyed it. I know people weren't a fan of the "fun flags" but this was a completely made for TV series. The only thing i would change on the broadcast is have a dirt veteran be the color commentary for dirt races. Someone like a Kenny Wallace, but with a 10 second censor delay, or even a Dave Blaney to help explain the dirt racing to the casual viewer.

As far as manufacturer involvement, I think the lack of any manufacturer is good for the series. Drivers have contracts with certain manufacturers that would prevent them from competing if the series ran the "wrong"body. Back in the day it seemed to be not as big of a deal with IROC, but now it seems to be a thing.

As far as manufacturer involvement, I think the lack of any manufacturer is good for the series. Drivers have contracts with certain manufacturers that would prevent them from competing if the series ran the "wrong"body. Back in the day it seemed to be not as big of a deal with IROC, but now it seems to be a thing.

Undoubtedly correct which explains the Ilmor 396 engines. Will be interesting to see how it all progresses.

Undoubtedly correct which explains the Ilmor 396 engines. Will be interesting to see how it all progresses.
Which are LS engines. However that same engine us also used in the NASCAR Truck series in all 3 makes of trucks. Although according to some Truck and ARCA teams, those 396 engines are piles.

Which are LS engines. However that same engine us also used in the NASCAR Truck series in all 3 makes of trucks. Although according to some Truck and ARCA teams, those 396 engines are piles.

Curious to hear why its a 'pile"

From an older article in race tech

The 100th Ilmor engine just came off the production line, and in the two full years since the first one debuted, the engine remains undefeated – 40 races, 40 wins. “It’s not just that the engine has won all 40,” said ARCA President Ron Drager. “It’s that there have been 25 different winners and 18 first-time winners in those 40 races.

Curious to hear why its a 'pile"

From an older article in race tech

The 100th Ilmor engine just came off the production line, and in the two full years since the first one debuted, the engine remains undefeated – 40 races, 40 wins. “It’s not just that the engine has won all 40,” said ARCA President Ron Drager. “It’s that there have been 25 different winners and 18 first-time winners in those 40 races.
A lot of the ARCA and Truck drivers on social media complain about the engine. There was that incident at Las Vegas in 2019 (?) where there were multiple NT-1 engine failures due to the excessive heat. Sauter sat in the garage and blew his up after there was an issue on track with his.

I think also there is some animosity with the Ford and Toyota teams having to use a Chevrolet engine.

I thoroughly enjoyed the series and was glad I attended the season finale at Nashville fairgrounds. Looking forward to next season and if they come back to Nashville I'm very interested in going again.

Back