Brutal article about Hailie Deegan

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
I first heard of Deegan while checking out Tony Stewart's SRX racing series. Was amused watching her go toe to toe with Paul Tracy in the pits and schooling Helio C. on driving. The author of the article makes a good argument that her results don't justify a better ride this season, she brings big sponsor money and social media exposure to the table. Nothing new really, it's how F1 has worked forever and is openly discussed over there. If you know who her dad is you either love or hate him, but gotta say her brother Haiden is the real deal on motocross bikes with a factory Yamaha ride at 16.

Some will say this is a male/female thing, that may be in the background but she likely just doesn't have the talent.

Last edited:
If there was a woman truly capable of winning, every racing team in the world would be trying to sign them. Just look at the now defunct Formula W series. This was a series for women, specifically created to give women drivers a platform to demonstrate their abilities and open up a pathway to Formula 1.

In European racing, like F1 and Formula W, the telemetry they have on these cars is extensive. Telemetry does not lie. Telemetry lays bare a driver's abilities.

If any of those women showed a hint of ability equal to men, F1 teams would be fighting to sign them. The PR would have been amazing. But not one of those women made it to F1, even with a series designed specifically to make that transition possible.

This is not to say there haven't been some truly capable women drivers. Janet Guthrie, Lynn Saint James, and Michelle Mouton come to mind. But not one of these three women were raised in a generation where they were told by their parents and society that they were special and could succeed in anything a man could. These three women did it on their own merit.

IMO, only Michelle Mouton had the DNA to bang wheels with the likes of Kevin Harvick - and come out ahead. Look at those eyes!

Scott

Michelle Mouton.jpg

Michelle at work.

Last edited:
If there was a woman truly capable of winning, every racing team in the world would be trying to sign them. Just look at the now defunct Formula W series. This was a series for women, specifically created to give women drivers a platform to demonstrate their abilities and open up a pathway to Formula 1.

In European racing, like F1 and Formula W, the telemetry they have on these cars is extensive. Telemetry does not lie. Telemetry lays bare a driver's abilities.

If any of those women showed a hint of ability equal to men, F1 teams would be fighting to sign them. The PR would have been amazing. But not one of those women made it to F1, even with a series designed specifically to make that transition possible.

This is not to say there haven't been some truly capable women drivers. Janet Guthrie, Lynn Saint James, and Michelle Mouton come to mind. But not one of these three women were raised in a generation where they were told by their parents and society that they were special and could succeed in anything a man could. These three women did it on their own merit.

IMO, only Michelle Mouton had the DNA to bang wheels with the likes of Kevin Harvick - and come out ahead. Look at those eyes!

Scott

View attachment 131157

Michelle at work.

You’re forgetting Desiré Wilson.

Anyone who follows the sport knows why it’s happening. Money/sponsorship talks.

You think?

The racing series where every single spare inch of real estate on the vehicle is plastered with sponsor logos and the author feels the need to point out that "sponsorship talks"?

What an incredibly naïve article.

All that telemetry laying bare a driver's ability and still, drivers like Nikita Mazepin, Nicholas Latifi, and Mick Schumacher get multi-year contracts, even after underperformance.

Pay drivers have always been a thing (Mazepin/Latifi). So are big names that bring along sponsors (Schumacher).

Of course, your dad could just buy the team and give you a drive (Lance Stroll).

Or maybe it's just because a team wants to give a ride to an America driver during a period of rapid expansion in the American market and even got the FIA to stretch the rules to make it happen (Logan Sargeant).

Don't pretend F1 is some paragon of performance, where better drivers always get the seat.

All that telemetry laying bare a driver's ability and still, drivers like Nikita Mazepin, Nicholas Latifi, and Mick Schumacher get multi-year contracts, even after underperformance.

Pay drivers have always been a thing (Mazepin/Latifi). So are big names that bring along sponsors (Schumacher).

Of course, your dad could just buy the team and give you a drive (Lance Stroll).

But with women they are touted as having the actual ability to get these drives. That's a big difference compared to pay drivers who get there with money alone. Hailie Deegan is not there on talent, she's there because she's good looking and has money. She's a pay driver.

Scott

Last edited:
Scott, I'm just not familiar with the backgrounds of the women who have raced in the major series, did any have the totally immersed racing upbringing that so many males have that would exploit natural talent to it's fullest?

Scott, I'm just not familiar with the backgrounds of the women who have raced in the major series, did any have the totally immersed racing upbringing that so many males have that would exploit natural talent to it's fullest?
I think abilities go beyond what people are immersed in. Men do some things better than woman. Woman do some things better than men. It's for no other reason than DNA, X and Y chromosomes.

I'll venture out on a limb here, but as time passes I think women might be better world leaders than men - just because of their DNA. Race car drivers? Not so much.

Scott

Last edited:
Not disagreeing but I wonder if the odds of that rare instance of unnatural talent + perfect environment that creates GOATs has less chance with females in motorsports just because far fewer of them are in it to begin with. Seems a standout female driver should have happened by now though.

Last edited:
Not disagreeing but I wonder if the odds of that rare instance of unnatural talent + perfect environment that creates GOATs has less chance with females in motorsports just because far fewer of them are in it to begin with. Seems a standout female driver should have happened by now though.
Indeed. Just look at the NFL and the SF 49ers. "Mr. Irrelevant", Brock Purdy, the very last player chosen in the NFL draft, the third string QB for the team. He is playing the position at an amazing level.

But you bring up a valid point. I think there are unknown GOATs throughout the world, in all aspects of life, people's whose greatness will never be realized because they never got a chance.

Scott

I'm sick and tired of hearing about these overrated women in racing. This article was actually a breath of fresh air, and some actual truth.

Women will never, repeat NEVER compete at the same level as men in racing. If they could, they would have by now. Everything else is nothing but a bunch of politically correct crap.

As we have seen in the past, and will in the future, they'll be lucky if they can manage to finish on the lead lap without wrecking.

Women will never, repeat NEVER compete at the same level as men in racing. If they could, they would have by now. Everything else is nothing but a bunch of politically correct crap.

Brittany, Ashley, and Courtney Force would like a word, right after Leah Pruett and Erica Enders.

This is the part where you say drag racing isn't real racing.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about these overrated women in racing. This article was actually a breath of fresh air, and some actual truth.

As we have seen in the past, and will in the future, they'll be lucky if they can manage to finish on the lead lap without wrecking.
Jeez, tell us what you really think, Bill.

Read this about Michelle Mouton, aka the "Black Volcano". https://rallygroupbshrine.org/the-drivers/michele-mouton/#mouton3

Some excepts:

"
page1image64572880
page1image64579744

Here's a great video about Group B racing, IMO one of the best motorsports series of all time. The Black Volcano competed on an equal level to the men who raced this. But regardless of what you think, some absolutely thrilling stuff. Check it out.

Last edited:
And?.... She, (along with no other women), will ever win a Daytona or an Indy 500. Let alone a championship.

They belong in their own division. And have for years. Just like they do in the Olympics. They separate the genders there, (of which there are only 2 by the way), for a very good reason. Somehow motor racing hasn't caught on to that basic bit of common sense logic.

Women in racing makes about as much sense as switching the name of Aunt Jemima products to, "Pearl Milling Company" (I still haven't figured out the reason for that).

And?.... She, (along with no other women), will ever win a Daytona or an Indy 500. Let alone a championship.

They belong in their own division. And have for years. Just like they do in the Olympics. They separate the genders there, (of which there are only 2 by the way), for a very good reason. Somehow motor racing hasn't caught on to that basic bit of common sense logic.

Women in racing makes about as much sense as switching the name of Aunt Jemima products to, "Pearl Milling Company" (I still haven't figured out the reason for that).
Mouton won a championship and competed well overall in Group B.

Although I love both, there's more to racing than the Daytona 500 and Indy 500.

BTW, didn't Danica earn the Daytona 500 pole one year, and win an IndyCar race in Japan?

Scott

Sorry this had to devolve into a females can't race thread. I just thought it interesting that the writer bluntly laid it out that a person who's 2nd season record was worse than her 1st really shouldn't be advancing to the next series. Her truck team had equipment that was capable of better finishes than she got and you'd at least expect her 2nd year to equal or be slightly better than her first year. Never mind being female she just ain't got the goods it looks like. But she brings $. And eyeballs for sponsors.

Last edited:
Back