Your Opinion on Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 (SN) vs. Pennzoil Plantinum (SN)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that Pennzoil highly touts it's GTL oil in their advertising but has chosen to eliminate once readily published specs such as HTHS, NOACK, and TBN, now calling them "proprietary" info. ( What BS ! ) These specs were readily provided pre-GTL base oils, but were eliminated with the introduction of the GTL oils. Why ? Not as good perhaps ? Hiding something ?

One thing is certain, the zinc and phosphorus levels have been reduced with the GTL introduction. That's been proven in over 8 years of Pennzoil oil analysis and use in our observation. Yes, there might be other additives not being shown, but zinc and phosphorous are definitely down from pre GTL levels.
Boron, Moly and Magnesium are up and calcium is down with the recent formulation change.

It is also interesting that the Platinum specs appear to be a tad better better than the alleged "top of the line" Ultra specs with the exception of the 100 C cSt and MRV and CCS viscosities. And one has to ask why is the "top of the line" Ultra Platinum no longer Dexos 1 Gen 2 certified if it's so hot ?

And.....if Gokhan's latest info on base oil quality and VII has any degree of credibility, it sure looks like just plain ole Pennzoil Platinum is better than Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is appearing more and more to have lost it's "glow" ! It's surely no longer worth more money than the Pennzoil Platinum.

Who is the "our" in your observation? Who do you represent?

And these posts about companies hiding stuff is amusing to me. The answer of course is that for each of those parameters the oil falls within the allowable limits for the grade and specific license or approval. My suggestion is that if this is such a overwhelming heartbreak for you that you purchase another brand that does provide the information you seem to require. Easy, right?

You sound a bit over the top on the anti-SOPUS train but perhaps that's just me. Like I suggested maybe you need to move on to a different manufacturer before you blow a gasket or something.

Originally Posted by Chase1
It's interesting that Pennzoil highly touts it's GTL oil in their advertising but has chosen to eliminate once readily published specs such as HTHS, NOACK, and TBN, now calling them "proprietary" info. ( What BS ! ) These specs were readily provided pre-GTL base oils, but were eliminated with the introduction of the GTL oils. Why ? Not as good perhaps ? Hiding something ?

One thing is certain, the zinc and phosphorus levels have been reduced with the GTL introduction. That's been proven in over 8 years of Pennzoil oil analysis and use in our observation. Yes, there might be other additives not being shown, but zinc and phosphorous are definitely down from pre GTL levels.
Boron, Moly and Magnesium are up and calcium is down with the recent formulation change.

It is also interesting that the Platinum specs appear to be a tad better better than the alleged "top of the line" Ultra specs with the exception of the 100 C cSt and MRV and CCS viscosities. And one has to ask why is the "top of the line" Ultra Platinum no longer Dexos 1 Gen 2 certified if it's so hot ?

And.....if Gokhan's latest info on base oil quality and VII has any degree of credibility, it sure looks like just plain ole Pennzoil Platinum is better than Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is appearing more and more to have lost it's "glow" ! It's surely no longer worth more money than the Pennzoil Platinum.

So glad you're amused. And whoever wrote anything about "overwhelming heartbreak" ? That's laughable and more than a little over the top in your uninviting commentary. Seems like you overly enjoy being antagonistic....right ? ( Yeah...we've read your stuff on here......)

Surely don't have to answer to you, but we've been using Pennzoil products ( among others ) for well over 30 years with long term satisfaction ....and....we're very far from "blowing a gasket." Are you ? Chill out man !

We just like to see the common ordinary specs provided like other quality manufacturers do. Like it's been said ....."if you've got it...why not flaunt it ? We know they meet the specs.......what's wrong with wanting to know HTHS, NOACK and TBN ? They provided the info before, why not now ?

We enjoy civil discourse, not confrontation....sooo.....no need replying.

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Platinum have been the same price at Walmart.com for quite some time. Wear numbers are really close between the 2. But cleaning power is where Ultra has the edge and that's why I run it in my GDI.
I have a recent VOA available here at BITOG.

Actually, the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 is listed for $21.40 and the Platinum is listed for $22.68. The 1.28 difference must be for the missing Dexos 1 Gen 2 approval......lol......just kidding. Both versions do well as reported in UOA's. As far as the extra cleaning power we'll just have to take Pennzoils advertising word for it.

There are possibilities why Ultra isn't Dexos certified.
It may be recently reformulated, and is awaiting approval. It may be anticipated it will need to be reformulated to meet the new SP and GF-6 specs, and no approval will be applied for until they are finalized.
Ultra is a low volume product, and historically Pennzoil hasn't rushed out to certify those, especially if a change is on the horizon. Granted, it's not the same old company, but there could be a few traits that remain from the old days.

Originally Posted by giantsforever
I agree that Ultra is a low volume product. What I don't understand is why. Any insights?

You can buy it by the pallet from Walmart.
How is that low volume?

That's right.
Maybe SOPUS doesn't care how much of it they sell. It's a USA-tweaked version of Euro Shell Helix Ultra, which sells real well overseas.

Scuder, thanks for your response.

I agree that Ultra is a low volume product. What I don't understand is why. Any insights?

My pleasure!
High price, poor availability initially, competition from within it's own brand, comparatively little marketing support all contribute to low volume. It's not a bread and butter product, and it's those that get the support.
I know from personal experience that many, many resellers are not interested in having a second, more expensive flavor of Pennzoil synthetic that doesn't meet any more specs than the one that receives good advertising and marketing support.
Triple_Se7en is probably right. It was already a done product, which with a little tweaking and virtually no R&D, was adjusted for the North American market. Now they have a top tier product they can point to as a competitor to other brands top of the line oils. That's just a guess on my part, though.

Originally Posted by Imp4

You can buy it by the pallet from Walmart.
How is that low volume?

As a percentage of Pennzoil sold, Ultra is in the very low single digits, if it even breaks 1%. Since retiring, I don't have access to those numbers anymore. Trust me, that's low volume.

Originally Posted by Scuder

I know from personal experience that many, many resellers are not interested in having a second, more expensive flavor of Pennzoil synthetic that doesn't meet any more specs than the one that receives good advertising and marketing support.

to your point my local Walmart only carries the regular platinum, and not the ultra.

Originally Posted by RavenTai

to your point my local Walmart only carries the regular platinum, and not the ultra.

This is why i do not buy it. I have yet to see PUP in any store i have entered. I just get the PP at Wally World and call it a day.

Thanks. 1996 Toyota Tercel 152k miles with stock 5EFE engine. Maybe there just weren't that many made, so that's why I can't find whether this engine has a bad rep of being an oil burner, such as Generation 8 Corollas (1998-2002)?

Amazon also removed the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore from my search; maybe they can't ship it to California
frown.gif

I suspect that the defective pistons are working on my car
cry.gif

My English is pretty limited
use google Translate
My respected teacher calls me Black, he often wants me to speed up, so I use this nickname
No racial discrimination or offense
Taiwan toyota altis 1.8 (2003)

Originally Posted by Govtman
Originally Posted by RavenTai

This is why i do not buy it. I have yet to see PUP in any store i have entered. I just get the PP at Wally World and call it a day.

Buy two jugs of PUP at Walmart.com and have it shipped free to your front door, for the same price as Vanilla Platinum. I remove losing 75 minutes of my life for the drive to / from Walmart. I don't lose a half-gallon of gas to purchase it, by buying it online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back