Your motor oil matters. Video.

Now show me the source which says the numbers are starting to decline, thanks.
Ah yes, just as I thought...thanks for the post which supports my theory.
It's not that the vehicles are more durable. Rather, folks just don't want to dump them, due to cost of replacement.

"DETROIT (AP) — Cars, trucks and SUVs in the U.S. keep getting older, hitting a record average age of 12.6 years in 2024 as people hang on to their vehicles largely because new ones cost so much."

There's many examples of old cars that were very durable.
Folks on this forum have posted several examples from MB, Volvo, BMW etc.

Last edited:
Do you have the source for this data?
I'm just curious as to what was the basis for this info? such as what makes/model years these reports were based on.

I will agree that vehicle lifespan has increased, but we may be observing the decline of these averages based on thinner oils and extended OCI's.
Logical extension of this: change your synthetic oil every 52 miles. But you can change your filter every 104 miles. Want to squeak every ounce out of my engine.

Ah yes, just as I thought...thanks for the post which supports my theory.
It's not that the vehicles are more durable. Rather, folks just don't want to dump them, due to cost of replacement.

"DETROIT (AP) — Cars, trucks and SUVs in the U.S. keep getting older, hitting a record average age of 12.6 years in 2024 as people hang on to their vehicles largely because new ones cost so much."

There's many examples of old cars that were very durable.
Folks on this forum have posted several examples from MB, Volvo, BMW etc.
Other than Hyundai and Kia (most of which are on warranty or policy adjustment) I don't see that many 10 to 15 year old cars getting major engine rebuilds or new engines. So longer engine life IS allowing cars to stay on the road longer.

Now provide the data to your supposition about thinner oils and longer OCIs reducing engine life.

Now provide the data to your supposition about thinner oils and longer OCIs reducing engine life.
It may be the case, maybe not.
Other than Hyundai and Kia (most of which are on warranty or policy adjustment) I don't see that many 10 to 15 year old cars getting major engine rebuilds or new engines. So longer engine life IS allowing cars to stay on the road longer.
Cool story bro
(y)

Back