Your motor oil matters. Video.

I don't care if I ever change oil again. I have to but consider it a chore and nothing more.
Sounds like you need to find a trusty shop lol 😉. Only oil change I consider a chore is my wife’s Sentra with the elaborate aero diffuser 20+ push clips and 6 10mm bolts.

Sounds like you need to find a trusty shop lol 😉. Only oil change I consider a chore is my wife’s Sentra with the elaborate aero diffuser 20+ push clips and 6 10mm bolts.
It would be even a bigger fiasco than your Sentra oil change to find a trusty shop around here and it's a bigger hassle as you know...so I remain sad 😆

It's a lot of what we already know here on BITOG. However, for those folks who don't participate in this forum, it might be eye-opening information.

Personaly, I'm happy that Lake Speed Jr. creates this content. Compared to the plethora of useless motor oil videos on YouTube, his content actually has some useful information in it.

It's a lot of what we already know here on BITOG. However, for those folks who don't participate in this forum, it might be eye-opening information.

Personaly, I'm happy that Lake Speed Jr. creates this content. Compared to the plethora of useless motor oil videos on YouTube, his content actually has some useful information in it.
I really liked his video on additives and how they increase wear. Same with mixing different brands.
Plus He has Actually data to back it up.

Only oil change I consider a chore is my wife’s Sentra with the elaborate aero diffuser 20+ push clips and 6 10mm bolts.
The 2, heavy, steel skid plates on the wife's 2WD 4Runner have been leaning on the garage wall since the second oil change. It took a floor jack to hold them up while I started the bolts.

The 2, heavy, steel skid plates on the wife's 2WD 4Runner have been leaning on the garage wall since the second oil change. It took a floor jack to hold them up while I started the bolts.
I remember dealing with a skid plate on my father’s 2000 montero sport. No fun

I really liked his video on additives and how they increase wear. Same with mixing different brands.
Plus He has Actually data to back it up.

He weaves a narrative that appeals to a certain population, strategic guitar riffs here and there and repeats that anything he says is a truth or fact. It can be an effective marketing tactic akin to hypnosis. There are other YT channels that are better education wise and dont need the fluff to earn my clicks.

Last edited:
At around the 17:15 mark Lake mentions the EPA and how CAFE standards come into play concerning longer OCI's. Pretty much dictated by the EPA for environmental considerations. But we all knew that.

He weaves a narrative that appeals to a certain population, strategic guitar riffs here and there and repeats that anything he says is a truth or fact. It can be an effective marketing tactic akin to hypnosis. There are other YT channels that are better education wise and dont need the fluff to earn my clicks.

I don't find this a fair representation of the video. Why not point out specific things he said that you disagree with. What was the fluff etc.

Because he is definitely a qualified expert, so like all experts they speak with authority on a subject they know intimately. There is nothing wrong with that in and of itself, if he's right.

If he's wrong, please point out where.

Early oil changers will love it 😀
I understand his methodology based on oil analysis, but I keep going back to the fact that in the US, vehicle average life is at an all time high. Very very few of those cars got an early oil change. I will agree though that using Lake's approach when your car goes to the junkyard for rust or a failed transmission, the engine will be less worn out.

I understand his methodology based on oil analysis, but I keep going back to the fact that in the US, vehicle average life is at an all time high.
Do you have the source for this data?
I'm just curious as to what was the basis for this info? such as what makes/model years these reports were based on.

I will agree that vehicle lifespan has increased, but we may be observing the decline of these averages based on thinner oils and extended OCI's.

I understand his methodology based on oil analysis, but I keep going back to the fact that in the US, vehicle average life is at an all time high. Very very few of those cars got an early oil change. I will agree though that using Lake's approach when your car goes to the junkyard for rust or a failed transmission, the engine will be less worn out.

You can take care of the entire car/truck, you know? Underspray it, change the transmission/diff fluids frequently etc.

My counterpoint to that is when I worked construction in the day and we purchased GM trucks and vans we had three transmission failures to zero engine failures. That told me to forget the engine and maintain the trans first.
Tongue in cheek a bit.

That is actually a true story. We averaged 70k miles per trans and the body got rusted out or wrecked and they were junked with a good engines.
I'm not an early oil change fanatic and seen some discrepancies in what he said. But at the end of the day I too changed oil out very early but later I maintain things far better than the book but not like the hard-core bunch here.
It's not a hobby or an obsession with me so I don't do it for entertainment.

I liked how he ducked getting into filters and said that's another video. Sounded to me like he needed to study up a bit...
But as Schultz once said, " I know nothing" 😆

I will agree that vehicle lifespan has increased, but we may be observing the decline of these averages based on thinner oils and extended OCI's.
I think the decline is the cost of maintenance these days. Most people poorly maintain their vehicles and drive like race car drivers.

Back