Your Max OCI (in months) With Synthetic Oils ?

Funny this thread came up, as i am contemplating running another year on my ram. This coming april, it will be 1 year on the HPL premium plus 0w-40 oil in my truck. I only have 1500 miles on the oil. With the high TBN of >13.5, I'm thinking another year.

Just did 6 mo, 2900mi on my Ford problematic GDI just driven mainly in town short trips. It only went that far due to the QS10W30 FS I was running.
Switched to 5w20 for Winter. Big mistake. Engine sounds like a bucket of parts rattling around in just 2-1/2 months.
This engine is shot IMHO. May just be VVT but could be piston skirt or rod bearing as it get noisey as you unload the engine when revving it in Neutral or manually shifting the autobox in S mode.

I do NOT intend to go to the dealer for repairs and get a BIG Black Mark on the stupid carfax report - unless it blows on the road.

On the wife's old 2017 subaru crosstrek (a P.I motor) went 5 month and 9300 miles on a Valvoline / Magnetech mixture.

Oil came out looking fantastic for miles accrued UOA showed nothing wrong whatsoever. BUT! She does a LOT of high speed highway with regular hour long one-way drivetimes.

Chris you have been agonizing about that Hyundai for over a year. I think its time we dump both of our cars.
The grass is always greener :)

I am waithing for a classic B or C body 2dr HT or a stupid camaro v8 LT-1
I'm now running Valvoline 10W30 synthetic with approx. 16 to 20 oz. of Magnatec 5W20 added (my secret additive preventing my '17 2.4L GDI engine from grenading itself) . Next vehicle will be a new mid - size SUV but one with a PFI engine is hard to find .

What does the maintenance minder say? If it indicates (for example) 60% oil life remaining I would go further. If it's down to something like 30% then I would change the oil and filter both.
The way Mercedes does it iis nothing like GMOLM and others. It appears to only be a simple timer, and comes on EXACTLY 1 year after the last reset. I imagine this is helpful in supporting the high prices for service at the dealerships.
If it had an actual oil life indicator, like GM, I'd definitely be going by that.

I changed oil in my son's Jeep last night and did our Jeep as well. He ran his OLM to O% and I think it must have been about a year. I only go about 6 months on our Jeep GC. We rotated his tires last night too. I used the Mity Vac on both vehicles and you can see it on the second picture by my Ford F-150 tire.
Is it those oil cartridges I see in your jeep? Same thing as on my Hyundai. Is it a ploy to make sure you buy only the OEM oil filters? So dumb.

Is it those oil cartridges I see in your jeep? Same thing as on my Hyundai. Is it a ploy to make sure you buy only the OEM oil filters? So dumb.
Yes they are cartridges however I bought the Mobil 1 from Walmart for $3 each. I have about 5 left. If you blow up the image you can see the Mobile 1 box.

Attachments

• dUWc7rj5ScmW%EK2FHUyGg.jpg
    dUWc7rj5ScmW%EK2FHUyGg.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 13
The way Mercedes does it iis nothing like GMOLM and others. It appears to only be a simple timer, and comes on EXACTLY 1 year after the last reset. I imagine this is helpful in supporting the high prices for service at the dealerships.
If it had an actual oil life indicator, like GM, I'd definitely be going by that.
That's kind of disappointing, considering how Mercedes Is known for state of the art technology. In that case, I suppose it's better to err on the side of caution and change the oil.

That's kind of disappointing, considering how Mercedes Is known for state of the art technology. In that case, I suppose it's better to err on the side of caution and change the oil.
Yeah, I most likely will. With Ravenol VST now sitting at $70.00 a jug from Blauparts, I'm tempted to save the money. Here in Florida, it's too hot in the summer to do much in the garage (92° F/ 80% humidity) so it will be changed soon.

When the OLM hits 50%. So is this a good tool or am I doing it wrong?
O.K. for short trippers and D.I. and 20 grade. Anything else driven far and hot, I say go 80-99 % on an intelligent OLM.

50% is quite an arbitrary number that just reads "comfortable" and "safe" to a owner - with little science backing that decision.

Just like the oft mentioned "5000 miles, because it easy to remember".

That's just so .... Hindu Base 10 :geek:

However long the OLM has me go. I'm not concerned about time in service, just working hours on the fluid.

Got a good reason
For taking the old oil way out
Got a good reason
For taking the diluted oil out now

He was a sort tripper
Two way ticket, yeah
It took me so long to drain it out
But I found out

Short tripper, short tripper, yeah
Short tripper, short tripper, yeah

c. 1966 Vladimir Lennon - Charlie McCarthy

The Nissan and Grand Marquis* get yearly changes. Comes out to 6000 on the Nissan, 10,000 on the Grand Marquis. The Cherokee is 2 years. It doesn't get a lot of time, only used once every other month lately for offroad trips. I do not change the oil in my F-350 due to the hemorrhaging head gasket and I don't think I've changed it since 2020 - it just gets yearly changes.

I did just do a 3000 mile oil change on the grand marquis because I just swapped in a junkyard engine that was sitting for a few years. It'll get changed end of november 2023/early december 2023.

Back