Your Favorite Non - OEM Air Filter ?

I occasionally try aftermarkets, but so far for my applications everything I've tried has been underwhelming when compared against OEM. Since this is on topic here's a short comparison video I made many years ago between a Denso FTF and Subaru OEM engine air filter.

does pressure of the air box lid onto the foam surround of some less than ideal fitting filters keep it from moving in the box while driving???...I'd always prefer the filter to fit properly but I wonder how much of an issue a little bit of play would have once the lid is attached...

Bill

does pressure of the air box lid onto the foam surround of some less than ideal fitting filters keep it from moving in the box while driving???...I'd always prefer the filter to fit properly but I wonder how much of an issue a little bit of play would have once the lid is attached...

Bill
I think it’s important the gasket material is shaped correctly and the base fit is correct for the placement to yield a good seal. The lid actually has an opening at the clips on the back where it seats. If the filter doesn’t fit well you can potentially get an air leak at this spot.

A4F9E4DD-3001-4A10-91A2-30B5AEAE55B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Ive been a mixed bag for OEM air box cars. Normally I am Fram. On my Highlander I didnt like that it didnt have a soft seal around the airbox...just hard plastic. Then I replaced it with something else that I cannot recall off the top of my head. Just found out after a trip into the mountains its letting dust by. Bought a an AcDelco gold to replace that and it has a soft seal on the engine side. Kind of disappointed its made in China. It looks decent but whats separating it from a no name china brands? Granted it was less then $10 anyways. I think next time Ill get the BeckArnley one as it looks like OEM or an OEM copy.

For my non stock air box cars I prefer multi stage oiled foam with BelRay or Maxima oil

OEM or Wix which ever is available and or cheaper.
Wix products seem to match OEM specs pretty well. Never had a fitment issue either

I occasionally try aftermarkets, but so far for my applications everything I've tried has been underwhelming when compared against OEM. Since this is on topic here's a short comparison video I made many years ago between a Denso FTF and Subaru OEM engine air filter.

WoW that is a loose fit!! I have had an excellent fit with Denso air filters on 2001 to 2006 Subarus as good as OEM. So for my Subies its Denso or OEM and they can't be found then a Wix will be OK

I read this recently, and found it enlightening:
FLOW RESTRICTION from best to worst. Remember, 27.7 inches of water = 1 psi. So, 1 inch of water = .036 psi. The worst (AC Delco) at 6.23 in. water and the best (K&N) at 4.54 in. water is a difference of 1.69 in. of water or a "whopping" .0608 psi. Virtually negligible
The AC Delco had the best dirt capacity and filtering efficiency of course.

Back