Your favorite jobber oil filters?

Pretty sure the “jobber” is the actual business, garage, quick lube, etc.
I just take it to mean a cheaper built line of filters that are sold wholesale to the oil chain & auto parts stores for basic 5k mileage runs. There's a reason they stick those 3-5k "Reminders" on the windshield. It's b/c they just stuck a flimsy cheap xx filter on your ride & it makes them profits. 😂

In this category I like the regular blue can STP. My AZ commercial account means I only pay $2-3 for one.

"jobber" means wholesaler or wholesale, so in this context its filters you would buy in bulk, usually cheap. I don't think anything you would get at a parts store or walmart would count. They do sell them on RA. I have put them in my cart but they always ship separate so I take them back out. So I don't think I have ever used one?

However given the majority of the public likely does - via the quick lube places, I assume they work good enough.

"jobber" means wholesaler or wholesale, so in this context its filters you would buy in bulk, usually cheap. I don't think anything you would get at a parts store or walmart would count. They do sell them on RA. I have put them in my cart but they always ship separate so I take them back out. So I don't think I have ever used one?

However given the majority of the public likely does - via the quick lube places, I assume they work good enough.
OK but after 30 posts, I still don't get where the term comes from or how it came to be. Jobber, someone that does many jobs?

What I’m seeing on our work stuff that’s been to quick lube is a lot of FRAM PRO stuff. Or ECOGARD. Occasionally I’ll see a NAPA “PROFORMER”

Can't say I have a "favorite", but I do have two Puro Tech TL14610 with nitrile adbv got for $2.40 from Amazon. I'm interested in seeing how they do. Seen one or two cut open on youtube, looked decent, especially for the cost. Normally though, prefer a filter with a silicone adbv.

Ole standby MO-452 MOPAR. Gonna throw one of these on a friends Saturn we fixed ring issue on. $1/r leach at Rural King. Appears wix made. Can’t decipher date code.

IMG_1566.jpeg

IMG_1568.jpeg

I can't think of a time when I have ever used a jobber type filter. I've removed a few of them off cars that I have bought, but they have always been replaced with at least a mid grade Fram, or better.

I agree with those who ask the question of why, when a decent filter can be had for a reasonable price, would anyone who is doing their own car maintenance use a jobber? Isn't that at least partly why we do our own oil changes, so it can be done right?

Back