You think gas is expensive........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to get O/T but Deven, what pharm school ya go to? I know a lot of Massachusetts pharmacists who went to Mass College of Pharmacy and I've heard mixed reviews about that school. I'm considering going there since I'm from western Mass and it's less than an hour away from my hometown.

A car dealership is almost a small monopoly, and their service departments are probably their most lucrative profit centers.

Perhaps a good independent shop might be able to save you a bit.

I'd just do a routine home drain & fill and repeat at reasonable intervals.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: deven
I don't know what your expectations are, but $105 for about an hour of labor is reasonable. Labor rates range from $100 to $130/hr in my area.

I had no idea what the going rate was because I do most of my maintenance but i figured it would be more around $75-80/hour. $105 is just plain rip-off. I called some indy shops and they are also charging close to $100.
As for california, everything automotive related repair is expensive. I cant believe gas prices in cali which are close to $4.30.

Think of your hourly rate as a pharmacist.
wink.gif

Hahahaha.....not even close to that much money!!! Wish I made $160k a year.

Originally Posted By: Chuck1986
Sorry to get O/T but Deven, what pharm school ya go to? I know a lot of Massachusetts pharmacists who went to Mass College of Pharmacy and I've heard mixed reviews about that school. I'm considering going there since I'm from western Mass and it's less than an hour away from my hometown.

Yes I indeed went to MCP. I graduated in 1999 though. I tell ya that school will accept anyone and everyone to go there. We had 140 students in our freshman class then when i came back for my 2nd year half the class was gone, either because they flunked basic chemistry or biology classes or they voluntarily transferred out(very few). If i had to do it again, I'd go to Northeastern U. I like that they have Co-op and having tons of experience in retail/hospital/clinical pharmacy is a must when you graduate or you'll get eaten alive out there. Have fun while you are in college!!! It's truly a rite of passage.

Take care,

Deven

If I were you I would flush it myself. Change pan and filter put two lines in a containter. Then you know you are starting with a spotless filter.

Fill pan, start car let two qts flow stop engine. fill two qts repeat until done. It works great.

Haha, I didn't know there were some future pharmacists on here!

I was attending the University of Michigan for Biopsychology/Pre-Pharm, until I decided I didn't like chemistry THAT much.

Now I'm studying to become a commercial airline pilot at Western Michigan University!

Big change. Glad all of us have something like oil in common.

Originally Posted By: drewjp

I was attending the University of Michigan for Biopsychology/Pre-Pharm, until I decided I didn't like chemistry THAT much.

Now I'm studying to become a commercial airline pilot at Western Michigan University!

I always wanted to be an airline pilot, maybe someday I'll take classes and log some flight time.

Oilboy--That's a good idea, i just might do that...actually I am going to do just that. Thanks

There's no need to drop the pan. If you have visible debris on your filter, you probably have bigger problems to deal with. The filter is essentially a "rock stopper."

Rock stopper? I'm wondering how you can say that being how fine the mesh is on those transmission filters. I think I'd feel more comfortable knowing the filter was changed ...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

There's no need to drop the pan. If you have visible debris on your filter, you probably have bigger problems to deal with. The filter is essentially a "rock stopper."

Rock stopper? I'm wondering how you can say that being how fine the mesh is on those transmission filters. I think I'd feel more comfortable knowing the filter was changed ...

You shouldn't be seeing visible particles on the filter screen that are large enough to clog it. If you are, something in your transmission is probably failing.

You shouldn't be seeing visible particles on the filter screen that are large enough to clog it. If you are, something in your transmission is probably failing.

Mike ... you're like the messenger of doom.
LOL.gif

Critic, ask Merkava what happens if he finds "visible particles" on the surface of his full polish Snap On's!

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: drewjp

I always wanted to be an airline pilot, maybe someday I'll take classes and log some flight time.

Oilboy--That's a good idea, i just might do that...actually I am going to do just that. Thanks
My neighbor is a pilot for a major airline he is gone 5 days a week and loves to fly but says all the new laws and restrictions and pay cuts takes the fun out of the job. The grass is always greener so to say.

Deven how do you like this? My toyota dealer recently quoted me $146 each for both oem o2 sensors which I can get the exact same at rockauto.com for around $60 each, plus they want $280 labor. With tax included thats over $600 to change two o2 sensors at the dealer.
37.gif

If you bought a manual instead of an automatic you wouldn't have a need for a *flush*. Just drain and fill, it all comes out :)

Originally Posted By: leftlane
Deven how do you like this? My toyota dealer recently quoted me $146 each for both oem o2 sensors which I can get the exact same at rockauto.com for around $60 each, plus they want $280 labor. With tax included thats over $600 to change two o2 sensors at the dealer.
37.gif

Seriously whats with Toyota's and O2 sensors. Mine just failed a couple of months back and my dashboard lit up like a christmas tree. 4 different lights came on at the same time. I know of atleast 5 other people with a failed o2 sensor in the past couple of weeks.

I dont know if you already bought the o2 sensor but if you havent try ebay or http://www.oxygensensors.com Both seem to have good prices. Dont get aftermarket ones as I have installed some of them and toyotas dont seem to like an aftermarket o2 sensors.

Deven, yep I already had that site and I also recommend it as they even came out ahead of rockauto by a few dollars along with others including ebay for the rear oem o2 sensor at $101 total, but for the front oem o2 sensor ebay was the best at $74 total. The next best price was at rockauto for $86 total and at oxygensensors it was $89 total.

Toyota emission systems are sensitive and tempermental with anything but oem. That has been a issue for years so I wouldnt buy a aftermarket cat converter either as people have had problems with those also.

How many miles on yours when you replaced the o2's Deven? Mine has 89k right now with no cel on Im just replacing them because this is the range where people start having problems with them on toyotas, and to see if my mileage will improve. If not then the next step is getting a new cat converter since I wouldnt be surprised if the original is clogged as its not rare to hear of it with toyotas. Ive done everything else I can think of to improve mileage to no avail. New plugs, new pcv, cleaned maf, recharged air filter, seafoamed tank and crankcase, keeping the tires filled, alignment ect.

Don't forget about all that time the techs aren't billing. Is the tech really going to take 0.9 hours to do the job, and then be able to bill out that other 0.1 hour? I doubt it.

Don't forget the costs of the porters, and the very expensive cost of the building/mortgage/property taxes. And payroll taxes and income taxes.

If it was easy to make money, everyone would be doing it...

Originally Posted By: leftlane
How many miles on yours when you replaced the o2's Deven?

I had 28,xxx miles on them when the cel popped up. Didnt even know they had a TSB out on it. With all the electronics in the car I am definately buying the extended warranty on this car. I am also willing to bet that your cat converter is gummed up and causing the car to not perform optimally.

here is an idea.
if you dont like the price, go some where else or do it yourself.

if you can pony up for an "amsoil" fantasy, cant see where you would whine about service rates.

actually debatable as to changing the fluid is really even necessary.

guy doesnt say what toyota he has, but the T-IV fluid is good for a long time.

don't know why i even bother writing, but somebody pass this guy a box of kleenex and a welcome to 2008 brochure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back