You asked the wrrrooonnnnng person

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the Canadian Tire store today. Not to buy oil but I just had to walk by the oil section. As I was scanning the oils a woman with a jug of 10w30 semi-synthetic stops me and says "do you know anything about oil?"

20 minutes later she crawled away, grateful to have survived the onslaught pent up oil obsessions.

BITOG Made me do it!

Egad... Usually their eyes glaze over as soon as I try to explain the difference between conventional GII, GIII-Petr, GIII-SW, GIV-PAO, GV-POE, GV-EOP.

usually i keep my mouth shut... but i actually converted some one.

i was buying all the German Castol 0w-30 dated 02-01-05 or newer.... and the guy at auto zone asked me... "why do you only want the stuff made after feb of 2005"

my response, "do you REALLY want to know?!?!"

he said yes. so, i explained.

It takes restraint.

Or perhaps a Restraining Order.

I was in AZ awhile back and a [very attractve] young woman asked me if the oil she selected was OK for her car. I asked her what kind of car she had and she said "A blue one". I told her she needed to pick an oil with a blue cap then. She gave me a look...Well...If looks could kill....

(No... Im not that cruel... It was a Honda Civic and told her it needed 5w20. I suspect that she was playing dumb to get me to add the oil for her... It worked)

LOL. I get that one from the girlfriend.. Why did you let my car get low on oil... like she doesnt know how to add oil.

So being the sucker I am I went out in a downpour and found
her car 2qts low it only holds 3.4qt with filter..
so I guess the joke was on me that time. Now ask me why her
dipstick looks like it has TAR on it....

oh and on topic. I was educating some 60yr old "farmer john"
why its not good to use HD 30weight in his chevy truck in the winter (it gets to -5F here sometimes)

It's amazing the crapola (427's favorite word
smile.gif
) that one hears at auto shops.
I was at our local AutoZone the other day and I heard the store manager saying to a customer that, quote: " It was better to use a 20W-50 (than 5w-40) in his car, because its thinner at operating temperature".
I just walked out the store.
pat2.gif

I've talked a few folks out of Fram, into Purolator. Most of my girlfriends have been negligent pigs regarding the maintenance of some very expensive autos (Acuras, BMWs, Infinity, etc). The Infinity got dealer-done OCI at 15K with, apparently, dino, as there's no mention of syn on her tickets. It was kind of gooey under the fill cap, but three OCI in 5K with AA branded 5W30, and OCI of Pennzoil Yellow, and now an OCI of 5W20-10W30 PP for the winter seems to have cleaned the visible flecks and junk and the cams are pretty shiny now. 3 dino OCI in just shy of 50K. This is a 2000 I30 6-banger. Runs really well, smooth quiet. I had that just in time feeling.

Must have been a good year, and it indicates to me folks are changing WAY too often at 3 or even 5K.

It's utterly amazing how many people drive a car that is litterally screaming for help.
I walk and run around my neighborhood so I hear a lot.
Or on almost flat tires.
I unfortunatly have three people in my house that:
If it starts and moves its o.k.
I'm getting a little scared at the recurring them around hear of BITOG made me do it.

I was always told to not get involved unless you absolutely have to and to just be a good witness
grin.gif

Quote:

Most of my girlfriends have been negligent pigs regarding the maintenance of some very expensive autos (Acuras, BMWs, Infinity, etc).

Of course toocrazy is now going to tell us where we can find our own GF's who drive Acuras, BMWs, and Infinitis...
laugh.gif

But don't tell my Honda-driving wife....
laugh.gif

I had the same thing happen over the holiday when I showed off my oil stash to my wife's 80 year old grandfather, a retiree from the industry....As I showed off each baby in my collection (as if that qt of Redline was a fine Purdy shotgun) I got repeated "Oh my's!"
crazy.gif

I was at a light in Indy yesterday, and there was a small, late-model Hyundai next to me with two young urban ladies in it. The driver sat happily talking to her friend while the engine sounded like it was gasping its last breath...knocking and clacking and shaking the whole car.

But she DID have a nice hat.

Quote:

I was in the Canadian Tire store today. Not to buy oil but I just had to walk by the oil section. As I was scanning the oils a woman with a jug of 10w30 semi-synthetic stops me and says "do you know anything about oil?"

20 minutes later she crawled away, grateful to have survived the onslaught pent up oil obsessions.

BITOG Made me do it!

Whenever I'm on the phone with one of my brothers and I start talking about cars and pcmo's, they suddenly have to go count the rocks in the driveway or rearrange their sock drawers.

My wife rolls her eyes and starts looking for something to fold in another room.

I've overheard some really interesting conversations in the oil section. wife to husband: "Let's not get this one, it says it has detergent, why would they put detergent in oil?", "0w-30 is too thin".

I just play dumb and keep my mouth shut. They'll probably ignore me regardless of what I say.

Here is something scary: I overheard a mechanic for Canadian Tire telling someone that 5w30 means it's good for 5000km and 10w30 means it's good for 10,000km!
crazy.gif

I could write a book. Being in the business, especially where SAE 40 SF is the preferred oil.
I ask taxi drivers in their little Toyotas where temperatures range between 25F and 40F what oil they use and they say 40. (of course they don't use thermostats either) Why? I ask. That's what my father used. It comes in a can, so it is good. It's made locally. That is what everyone uses. (he is 55% right on that one). With it I can go almost a year before repairing the engine. Etc...... It's a fun discussion.

(Private Detective voice on)
She was a good looking dame, not the stuffy LA kind, with fake body parts, not quite sophisticated like them NY gals with too much makeup, and a designer bag. Just a normal, good looking dame, corn fed. Midwestern. Beautiful. It was real early morning in a 24 hour Supercenter. I knew the meeting was destined by fate. Where else in the world but a 24 hour Wally, could 2 people be browsing the oil at the same time... alone... She wondered if I knew anything about oil, I said I did, probably too much. She needed a recommendation, maybe something else. Her car was a 90's Crown Vic with 130k. She had it serviced regularly, but her dear husband had passed away, and her son was now taking over duties. "No, say it isn't so. Your widowed, and your son asks you to get the supplies for a change? The cad!" I knew the best deal in the house wasn't at eye level. I toed the edge of a box up, and flipped it onto the floor like I'd done a thousand times before. "This here, nice lady, is whutcha need. Put this in, and your good for at least 4000 miles." Dontcha mean 3000, sir. My Husband.. " her voice trailing off, blue eyes sparkling like a bubble of air trapped in VSOT. "Not any more, doll, 4000, maybe more, is fine for this stuff. It's tough, yet smooth as silk in your baby's engine. Your gonna need one of these also", I said, tossing a red and white box in the top of the cart. "Thank you sir. You know my husband was like you.. always being nice, helpful, you know.... kind." "No thanks needed nice lady.. all in a days work here on this little place we call earth." We parted bittersweet. She had a tear, maybe I did too. She walked out with a 5 pack of Maxlife for 7.50 and an MC filter. Alone, needing an oil change, must be the worst sitution in the world. I went home and crawled in bed next to my wife, grateful to be here with her. (Special agent voice off) To be continued.....

Quote:

(Private Detective voice on)
She was a good looking dame, not the stuffy LA kind, with fake body parts, not quite sophisticated like them NY gals with too much makeup, and a designer bag. Just a normal, good looking dame, corn fed. Midwestern. Beautiful. It was real early morning in a 24 hour Supercenter. I knew the meeting was destined by fate. Where else in the world but a 24 hour Wally, could 2 people be browsing the oil at the same time... alone... She wondered if I knew anything about oil, I said I did, probably too much. She needed a recommendation, maybe something else. Her car was a 90's Crown Vic with 130k. She had it serviced regularly, but her dear husband had passed away, and her son was now taking over duties. "No, say it isn't so. Your widowed, and your son asks you to get the supplies for a change? The cad!" I knew the best deal in the house wasn't at eye level. I toed the edge of a box up, and flipped it onto the floor like I'd done a thousand times before. "This here, nice lady, is whutcha need. Put this in, and your good for at least 4000 miles." Dontcha mean 3000, sir. My Husband.. " her voice trailing off, blue eyes sparkling like a bubble of air trapped in VSOT. "Not any more, doll, 4000, maybe more, is fine for this stuff. It's tough, yet smooth as silk in your baby's engine. Your gonna need one of these also", I said, tossing a red and white box in the top of the cart. "Thank you sir. You know my husband was like you.. always being nice, helpful, you know.... kind." "No thanks needed nice lady.. all in a days work here on this little place we call earth." We parted bittersweet. She had a tear, maybe I did too. She walked out with a 5 pack of Maxlife for 7.50 and an MC filter. Alone, needing an oil change, must be the worst sitution in the world. I went home and crawled in bed next to my wife, grateful to be here with her. (Special agent voice off) To be continued.....

Very nice, beanoil! But you forgot to start a new line with each change in speaker...

laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back