Yokohama's orange peel tires to rival Michelin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lubedude13
They are a good tire. Smooth quiet and high mileage. I've sold several sets

I'm looking hard at them right now. How much do they tend to run $ wise?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I recently started a thread about Michelin's Premier A/S tires that were released April 1st. The tread pattern changed as they wore to maintain grip. Apparently Yokohama already has a tire that does this:

http://yokohama-media.unitedfuture.com.s3.amazonaws.com/1330020056-AVID-Ascend-Bulletin-final.pdf

And they use orange peels to make them.

Has anyone here used Avid Ascends?

Not orange peels, orange oil.......

I have AVID S33s on my 13 GC. @ 31k they seem to be wearing well.

Wayne

I've had good experiences with Yokohama. Good pricing and US made often as well.

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

Not orange peels, orange oil.......

I have AVID S33s on my 13 GC. @ 31k they seem to be wearing well.

Wayne

Orange oil is extracted from orange peels.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I've had good experiences with Yokohama. Good pricing and US made often as well.

+1 Or they are made in Japan. I've had ancient(10+ years) yokohama R-comps not only be crack free, but still heat up and grip for lapping.
They seem to have figured out low rolling resistance as well, my new ig52c winter tires rolled as well as my broken in all seasons on the Focus.
I don't normally spring for good/premium tires but probably will for 3 seasons for the Focus soon and these look like strong contenders.

Wow, absolutely the worst tire for snow I've ever driven on! They are standard on our Company fleet vehicles (2014 Dodge Grand Caravan). They make winter driving treacherous.

Do a search on tire rack to see the awful reviews.

If this was my own personal vehicle I would have swapped out these tires on day 1. There are much better options available than the Avid S33's.

Originally Posted By: iahawk
Wow, absolutely the worst tire for snow I've ever driven on! They are standard on our Company fleet vehicles (2014 Dodge Grand Caravan). They make winter driving treacherous.

Do a search on tire rack to see the awful reviews.

If this was my own personal vehicle I would have swapped out these tires on day 1. There are much better options available than the Avid S33's.

Unless I missed something, I think you are in the wrong thread. No Avid S33s in this thread.

tirerack.com gives great reviews for these avid ascends. 4 out of 5 stars overall.

Last edited:
I have the YK 580, which is exclusive to Discount Tire and they also have the orange oil in them. They're advertised as LRR, but I don't notice any mileage differences with them compared to the Falken Ziex 912 they replaced. I've had them for 15k miles I think and they're wearing well. Seems to handle better with a few extra PSIs in them than the door label recommended 32, though.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
What is that thing? It looks roomy.

They were constructed on a 48 inch wheelbase with running gear from a BMC mini.

During apartheid in South Africa they were used to promote imported South African oranges in Europe.

They were very top heavy and prone to rolling over (rolling, of course, being something they did quite well).

There is one in the National Museum in Beaulieu.

There is an entry on them in "The Wonderful Wacky World of Marketingmobiles: Promotional Vehicles of the World" in Google books.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I've had ancient(10+ years) yokohama R-comps not only be crack free, but still heat up and grip for lapping.

A-008Rs, or was that model LONG gone way before 10 years ago??

It was 3-4 years ago that I had a set of A-008Rs, but I think they were made in the 90's? So they might've been 15 years old? I even had a pair of A001-R's(from the 80's?) but I burned those up teaching my SIL to autocross, she would get on the gas way to early in the corners which combined with an abrasive lot made quick work of them... They weren't that sticky anymore but were still better that my all seasons on the back and it was a good use for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back