Do I reallyyyyy need new tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only are they low on tread, but the rubber is cracking as well....you need new tires!

Originally Posted by DzoG20
The most worn out tire defines the performance of all tires on the car - if it slides the other will have increased load and will follow.

Premier A/S are strange tires - 8/32 new ...

Not necessarily even that much. I measured a 205/55R16 going on a Corolla. New, on the shelf, 6.5/32". So, with these Premiers, it depends greatly on the size.

Originally Posted by bradepb
In the second picture I think they don't look "shot" I think I see a wear bar and it looks like you have a way to go. You should go to Napa and get get a tire tread depth gauge instead of guessing. Check each tire in several spots and if they are below 4/32 on average replace them soon. We are allowed to run school bus tires down to 4/32 front and 2/32 rear in Michigan and we get snow.

I have to agree. Why have a wear bar if you cannot use it as a guide? These are just not there yet.

Originally Posted by grampi
Not only are they low on tread, but the rubber is cracking as well....you need new tires!

I wouldn't want to use those tires in summer let alone a NY ski trip. Unless you want to endanger yourself and others CHANGE THOSE TIRES!

Your tires are the only contact patches to the road.

I'd worry far more about those in that grinding fast traffic down your way than up here in the Sticks. Up here you can just slow down and take it easy . Not so much down your way where you don't control your situation as well and the traffic is erratic.

Also, as to the shoulder cracking-no, it's not ideal or new. But these aren't radial cracking, nor do we know it's in the tread. Looks more like he drives on roughly paved or gravel roads alot. As a former tire dealer, this cracking doesn't concern me much.

I had those exact same tires on a 2012 Honda Fit, at 40K they were in about the same condition as yours. I replaced them with Falken SN250 from walmart.. I think they were around $70/tire. Very happy with the Falkens they are showing no signs of wear and much quieter. 75K tread warranty.

[Linked Image]

looks like they measured them in the rain grooves.. those are shot for snow.
If it was may-june you might consider running those for a few summer months in a climate without rain.

What car and size tires are those? if you want tire recommendations.

surprised you passed inspect in NY. I'd rather not go skiing and be riding on safe tires.

The road up to the lodge where I ski is constantly being nearly blocked by people with worn out all seasons who seem really befuddled as to why their car is basically refusing to move.
The people behind them are ticked off by losing precious ski time and will do nearly anything to get around the folks with the worn out tires...it's a bad scene all around.
Of course, there are also people crashing into the woods now and again.
Since I have a place in town, I get in really early and typically will only see these folks if I then leave early...and often times the enraged people stuck behind the crawler will be in MY lane trying to get around, so it's super dangerous for everybody.

Don't be that person, replace those tires before you go skiing!! Please!

Sure, you can drive them in the snow, it doesn't mean you should.

You'll have a high likelihood of getting into an accident (or end up in a ditch) on the NY Truway, or the local roads in VT.

If you're going to Killington, the turn into Killington Rd from Route 4 has a short, but steep grade.... I remember one year, a lot of cars couldn't make it onto Killington Rd when it was covered in snow and were stuck on Rte 4.

so, what's your deductible for collision? Weigh that cost plus insurance premium increase vs the cost of new tires.

A quick rule of thumb: if your own conscience makes you publicly question your pending decision, you already have your answer. As in: "Do you think I should use protection with this girl?"

Don't skimp on your safety by putting off new tires, otherwise there's a good chance you'll end up on someone's YouTube dashcam channel suffering a horrific wreck.

Wow, complete consensus on BITOG. And I agree, "legal" and "not to the wear bars" is not the same as safe, especially in rain. I start shopping for tire deals at 5/32 and replace before 4/32 (typically). I would leave 2/32" wear to those in strictly hot, dry areas.

And dragging school bus regulations into this is a canard. I used to think lack of seat belts in busses was a crazy thing, too. Then I learned about compressible seat backs and compartmentalization. If you move a bus from the compartments strategy to seat belts, you have to replace all the seats with non-compressible seat backs. The result is LESS safe in side collisions. It is also LESS safe for the odd kid who failed to buckle up, because they're now hitting a hard seat, not a compressible one. You also add a burden of seat belt use compliance to the driver.

I should probably be more clear as to my statement about bus tires. 2/32 in front is the point at which the State police will Red tag the bus which means it must be taken out of service. It is not an amount of tread we would have buses running around with routinely.

I continue to recommend these tires to my friends and customers and have used multiple sets of them on my own cars.

For snow, they are probably shot.

But for rain, those are fine. I have driven cars with Premiers at 2/32-3/32 and they still perform amazingly well.

The minor surface cracking is a non-issue at this point, especially in your climate. CapriRacer has made multiple posts on how to identify the difference between normal cracking and cracking that is of concern.

See the cracks in those tires? Your tires are suffering from tire rot. If you value you family's lives change them.

Do I need new tires. .jpg

Last edited:
The Premiers only come with 8.5/32 tread when new
mad.gif

You should consider an all-season tire with the 3-peak sign, such as the Nokian WRG3, Vredestein Quatrac 5, Toyo Celsius, or Goodyear Weatherready

I just changed out Michelins with about the same tread left as your's. No way were they going to make it through the winter.

Like others said, time to shop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back