Do I reallyyyyy need new tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My car has Michelin Premier A/S tires on it. They were made in April 2014 and installed on August 2015 by the previous owner at 50K miles.

I bought the car with 80K miles in April 2018. When I looked at the tires, I was disappointed. My immediate thought was "This car needs new tires". But I just spent a bunch of money on the car and didn't feel like potentially spending another $1K on new tires at the time.

These tires have a 60K service life but at 30K miles, they seemed worn. There was a bunch of small cracking in the threads and small cracking in by the corners of the tire. The depth looked low to me as well, but I estimate they were between 5/32 and 4/32. By the "definition" the tires were still good, but I wasn't too happy in the condition they were in.

I told myself Ill buy new tires next April.

The car now has 90K miles and I'm thinking of changing them earlier. I'm planning to go on a ski trip in a few weeks. The highways leading to the mountain could potentially have some snow and I want to make sure I won't have to worry about driving them. If it matters, the roads are a paved highway not a back road.

Here is a picture of the tires along with the Penny test. It appears now that the front tires are between 2/32 and 3/32 while the rear ones are between 3/32 and 4/32. At 87K miles a dealer multi-point inspection measured them at 4/32. They haven't reached the wear bars but are getting close.

https://imgur.com/a/O3QxviR

Would these tires be suitable for a bit of snow driving?

Here's the kicker: I did some digging and apparently The Premier is advertised to keep good traction even when "worn". Apparently it can perform better worn than new brands of other tires. I drove on snow maybe 2 times a year, but when I did, my previous car had much more tread on the tires. Do you think Michelin's claim applies in snow?

I've never experienced traction issues with these Premier A/S tires. Even in wet roads with heavy rain, they handled pretty well. I pretty much never drive in snow. If the manufacturer says they can last that long, I can surely go another 4-5 months before they really need to be changed.

They are barely suitable for a sprinkle of rain in the summer, let alone even being considered for snow use.

The legal minimum is 2/32's, but rain performance starts to degrade once you hit 4/32's and snow performance once you hit 5/32's. You're beyond it so get new tires. If you're really cheap, I'd get used tires before driving on what are basically baloney skins. It's your life and the only thing on your car that touches the ground are the tires.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=157&

REPLACE THEM....They are worn out.....Your life and the life of others are in the balance if anyone of these should fail.....and you are the one that will be held accountable......Please consider the liability potential......I am sure you will find the money somehow......AGAIN....PLEASE CONSIDER ALL POSSIBILITIES......

Consumer Reports tests how long tires ACTUALLY last (as opposed to the claim manufacturers make), and they rates the Premiers at 40k miles tops. Don't think a tire will last as long as Michelin says. Believe CR and your eyes. Those tires are dangerously past due for a changing.

Also, tire wear (like brake wear) depends on many factors, including temp and driving style. Tire life varies widely due to these factors, so don't think a tire must last x number of miles. It is silly. A tire's life depends in part on the particular circumstances of that tire (and Premiers are famous for wearing quickly). I wouldn't wear jeans that were rated for lifetime wear if they were clearly threadbare.

And if you want a longer life tire, get the Defender. Defenders, on average, last more than twice as long as the Premiers according to Consumer Reports.

Get new tires and sleep well.
smile.gif

FWIW, the Chamber of Commerce and appropriate road authorities keep the roads to ski areas very well plowed. I would not use the ski trip as your impetus. Start watching sales and don't jump at the first store brand chinese tire your tire chain offers.

Definitely get some new ones. The vehicle will drive better too. I always replace my tires a little early because with new tires the vehicles drive like new cars if everything else is up to par. I can always tell the difference when I put on new tires.

There is an entire website called https://jerryoftheday.net/blogs/best-of-jerry-of-the-day?page=4 based originally the name Jerry given by Stratton ski school to mainly NYer s who visited Stratton Mountain VT for their lack of any snow gear, wearing equipment incorrectly, no ability to ski but doing so to the extreme, taking footage of antics of crazy people. These tires fit the mantra!

More seriously those tires will work on dry pavement and hopefully dry FLAT lot. If any hill or snow or amount of rain you'll either slip, you'll get stuck or hydroplane a tad......

I once took tires like this personally up to a place called Jay Peak VT that gets nearly 350" of snow a year in a Subaru WRX. Barely crawled up until a plow truck passed me and then the sand worked okay on steep access road. It was DUMPING SNOW like 12"/day. I just stayed at mountain for days as I could barely drive out and worked some remotely/skiied a ton.

Last edited:
In the second picture I think they don't look "shot" I think I see a wear bar and it looks like you have a way to go. You should go to Napa and get get a tire tread depth gauge instead of guessing. Check each tire in several spots and if they are below 4/32 on average replace them soon. We are allowed to run school bus tires down to 4/32 front and 2/32 rear in Michigan and we get snow.

Originally Posted by bradepb
In the second picture I think they don't look "shot" I think I see a wear bar and it looks like you have a way to go. You should go to Napa and get get a tire tread depth gauge instead of guessing. Check each tire in several spots and if they are below 4/32 on average replace them soon. We are allowed to run school bus tires down to 4/32 front and 2/32 rear in Michigan and we get snow.

Leglislation is about money and lobby not safety of kids. Hence lack of seat belts on vehicles and lack of intense regulations. Statically the operators are right in decent record however ANY bus accident leads to a ton of injuries that simple seat belts would prevent that cost SOOOO much would cost if any regulation was in place.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by bradepb

Leglislation is about money and lobby not safety of kids. Hence lack of seat belts on vehicles and lack of intense regulations. Statically the operators are right in decent record however ANY bus accident leads to a ton of injuries that simple seat belts would prevent that cost SOOOO much would cost if any regulation was in place.

um ok, I suggest you look up the Michigan pupil transportation act (PA187) School buses are the most heavily regulated ,inspected, and scrutinized vehicles out there.

The most worn out tire defines the performance of all tires on the car - if it slides the other will have increased load and will follow.

Premier A/S are strange tires - 8/32 new ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back