yokohama avid trz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good news there AJ. ChiTDI, let us know how you like them on a minivan once they're on. What kind of minivan (for some reason, I'm guessing a Eurovan there...)

Drove on ice tonight.
grin.gif

BTW- my CR-V set-up is now a full size bigger (215/70-15 vs 205/70-15) so I can't compare by feel. The vehicle had new Korean "Nexen" tires on it, yikes. We are pretty picky about tires here, so I grabbed a set of barely-used 2005 CR-V wheels, sold the Duelers and got the TRZs. The Nexens were not too bad, we are just tire crzy here. We'll use them for summers. Can't find any info on Nexen SUV tires.

Not much of a weight difference between my stock tires, Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus (215/60VR16)--24 lbs, and the Yokohama AVID TRZ (215/60TR16)--25 lbs. Difference is negligible, IMHO.

The TRZ only goes up to a T speed-rated tire for my application. I'm not sure why my 4cyl Camry came with a V speed-rated tire ... 149 mph rated tire is far more than this car needs.

The van is a voyager with 14 inch wheels and an offbeat tire size. Ended up with Kumho 795s instead of the the Yokos. Availability. They worked out well in the light snow and have been great for the first 150 miles. Haha

Thanks Chi. The 795s load rating is 97 and Honda blessed the Odyssey with 98s. The choices in 225/60R16 are very limited with a 98 load rating at 44 psi.

I'll post again here and on the tirerack site in a year. Should have over ten thousand miles by then and have more meaningful report.

I have Avid V4S on my GS400 and I think they are great. The balance of wet weather traction, quietness of road noise, treadwear rating, and price makes this a really good tire value in my opinion. I have only put 15K so far on these tires and estimate getting from 30-40K miles on these tires. IMO if I can get anything 30+K I will be buying them again. If you are buying them for something other than a low profile tire application I would expect a lot more miles.

I just bought a set of TRZs for my 01 Civic coupe to replace my pretty beat up Potenza RE950s. I loved the RE950s, but I desperately needed a better snow tire. If the TRZs are that terrible in the twisties I'll get another set of wheels for summer tires, but I like what I've read about them so far. I'll report back after I get them installed and broken in.

I had my TRZs put on today, and drove around quite a bit (50 miles) on them already. Despite not really being broken in, I'm very impressed already. Road noise has been greatly reduced (of course, I had very worn directional tires before), the ride is slightly better, and I haven't noticed any real downsides yet. I can't wait till I get a few more miles on them to see what they can really do!

I'm looking at TRZs for my A4 next year. Love that wear rating after only getting 1 year out of tires. H4S is another to conside, but I'm favouring the TRZ despite the lower speed rating.

Oh, 5000mi with them on the CR-V, in snow and rain and they are just great. I've had a LOT of different a/s tires.

Audi, the H4S was my other tire candidate, and was the one I was going with until I asked my dad how he liked his H4S's. He logs a lot of miles, and this is his first winter with the H4S on his car (02 Stratus R/T). He commented that he's had a couple of hairy situations on snow and ice that he just never saw with his other sets of tires (Goodyear Eagle RS-A and I believe one of the Firestone Firehawks). Dry and wet traction is, as expected, excellent. I went for the TRZ just for the added winter confidence, but on your A4 that might not be as big of a deal.

im also up to 5000 miles with them on my neon. great tire. cant be happier. if i get all of this year and all of next year out of them ill be happy (approx 60000 miles) i know they have an 80000 mile warrenty but if i get close ill be good. for the price i think they can get a little slack in that department as long as they get close.

I put TRZs on my wife's CR-V last year. We've put over 20,000 miles on them. In most repects, they are wonderful - great traction in dry/wet/ and snow (the closets thing to Nokian WRs I've experienced), handling is solid despite the etxra thick tread, and the are wearing very even and should hit 60,000 miles easily. My only gripe is that road noise under 50mph appears to be too excessive for a touring tire. I know the CR-V is not a quite car/SUV to begin with, but still. The tires do an adequate job of absorbing bumps, but again noise seems high over bumps.

When these wear out, I think I'm going to try the regular Avid Touring. I haven't seen any CR-V owner's compain about these.

I put some 205 55 16's on my wife's Volvo, mainly because of CR's report and references form some friends, but especially liked the 80k tread life guarantee. She drives 80+ miles a day and the last set of sporty tires wore out too soon. Only have a few thousand miles, but they are quieter and drive just fine.

quote:

Originally posted by ccs2k1:
Good news there AJ. ChiTDI, let us know how you like them on a minivan once they're on. What kind of minivan (for some reason, I'm guessing a Eurovan there...)

It's a 93 voyager and the Kumhos have worked well. Snow and ice on the hills of Dubuque were not an issue. Commuted to Iowa monthly from chicago for about six months and the high speed adhesion was good, noise was absent, and no visible wear for the first 12 k miles.

Thanks for the update (yes this is 2k1. issues w/ old acct).

We ended up getting Nokian WR's for the Odyssey. Great traction and comfort, but a bit noisy at lower speeds because of the tread pattern. About 9K miles on them, well, my wife hit a pothole last week; one is brand new (thank goodness for Roadhazard).

I am looking forward to putting the TRZ back on the CR-V. Currently on the Nexens that were on it at purchase. I am driving more miles and looking at higher wear tires than I had in the past, and TRZs are pretty great. For guys whose cars thake speed-rated tires, I would NOT hesitate to put TRZs on. They come in my 205/55-16 RSX size, but am not in the market, I have some V4S and Pilot HX to work through first. I'm rying to deciode which to run for winter, the Pilots were much better than people say they are in the one snow event I used them in last year (driving my NEW car home from the dealer!). I had the V4S on the front of my car for a week this summer, and they squealed, wth? So, I have 2 choices, probally going with the Pilots. I'd like to try the Kuhmo Estca whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back