Yokohama AVID ENVigor

Status
Not open for further replies.
54.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
ridiculous.

Couple that to a declining standard of living for a vast majority of the public, and I see a trend towards inferior quality replacements, or holding onto balding tires longer.

While I am not a fan of this present administration, I will not let them or any other entity lower my standard of living. I have more faith in this nation as a whole, my abilty and that of my employees.

Originally Posted By: Seguino
Well, the local tire man had my size ( 205/55/16 ) for $110, and Yokohama Canada has a rebate on them now so the net price was $90. They go on next Wednesday and I will post a review after I put a few miles on them and do a fill up to see if they save fuel as claimed.

Thanks, please keep us updated.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
a balancer ($4,000, because God forbid I don't balance your tires right, so let's go with a mid-line price, and we got to be able to balance your 305/50/20's),

Try 15k or so for a Hunter GSP9700.

Originally Posted By: HWEaton
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
ridiculous. I get the claims that cars can stop better these days, etc., but the lifecycle costs of vehicles are going through the roof due to add-ons like that.

Couple that to a declining standard of living for a vast majority of the public, and I see a trend towards inferior quality replacements, or holding onto balding tires longer.

All of this effects safety too. With all the added power, handling and braking, it is a zero sum game because of all the added incidents due to high-cost parts being tougher for the general public to replace.

You're right. It's ridiculous that someone should expect to make a living selling, installing, and repairing tires for the general public. All those services should be free.

Let's see, by the time you purchase

a balancer ($4,000, because God forbid I don't balance your tires right, so let's go with a mid-line price, and we got to be able to balance your 305/50/20's),

a tire changing machine ($9,000, because God forbid I should have one that will scratch that 20 inch rim, and God forbid I not have them de-mounted and mounted within an hour, while you sit in my waiting room using my wi-fi that I provide free of charge, since I have to have it to conduct business anyways or my cable TV so your kids have something to do instead of screaming at you and tearing my waiting area to [censored].),

a lift, or two ($10,000 to $14,000 because I need to lift your vehicle in a manner that is safe for me and for your ride. Not only to change tires, but to do oil changes and other work for people who cannot/will not do it on their own.)

all the tools and necessities to accomplish this task (wheel weights, weight hammer, hi-speed buffer, scraper, glue, patches, plugs, valve stems, valve stem puller, air chucks, impacts, sockets, etc)

Then I have to pay for the place to perform the service, all the overhead with it, set some of it aside for when that stuff does break, get rid of the waste tires, and then provide for my family.

So, instead of complaining about add-ons, go get yourself a can of starter fluid and a match and do it yourself.

Your reply, frankly, is ridiculous and irrelevant.

My point was the cost of these upsized tires that go onto vehicles. As a tire installer, the fact that this is happening isnt your problem. You would be changing tires whether they are 305/50/20 or 155/75/13.

As I stated, lifecycle vehicle cost is the issue. That is a function of putting all this big, heavy, powerful stuff on that people dont really need. Then they go to get tires, and the replacements cost $1000, which at some point will be a huge percentage of the car's valuation.

As an installer, you've got to do what you've got to do. No gripes against you, it isnt your problem, and frankly, kudos for upgrading equipment to be able to do an ever better job.

But I have a feeling that you would do as great a job on a set of tires that costs $300 as on a set that costs $1000.

And as more and more cars get decked out with this expensive stuff, more and more corners will be cut on the part of consumers who cannot afford the parts. People scrap cars for $1000 in repairs... What about for $1000 in tires?

Try to get the point before flying off the handle.

Please explain what your post does. I made the comment on tire price, others did in the thread too. Then the flaming post I quoted and replied to above.

Please explain what HWEaton's post had to do with the OP. My post was relevant to the ridiculousness of these huge pricey tires being fitted on effectively economy cars. And what it may mean for the future.

Economy car or not, the size tire for the Ford Edge as was initially what started this derailment of the discussion, 245/60/R18 is a stock size for the vehicle. I understand that the cost of tires that size is ridiculous. I know. I faint at just what my price for them is.

My initial gripe in the thread of yours that set me off was "add-ons". I see what you are saying now, in regards to the tires themselves. I don't think "add-ons" is quite the term we are looking for, however. When I think "add-ons" I think wheel weights, valve stems, valve core puller/remover, and all the equipment that goes with it. You know, all the stuff you have to "add-on" to do replacement tires. If someone wants to buy bigger, wider tires and can afford it, then more power to them, right?

But I think what you are saying, and correct me if I am wrong, is the changing of stock tire sizes that are coming out on vehicles now. Seventeen inch stock tires on Ford and Dodge pickups, 18 inch on the Edge, and on and on. The tire sizes recommended by the vehicle manufacturer. I believe, and this is just my opinion, that they are doing this more and more as a part of "stock bling", and is it ludicrous. Why you need more than a 16 inch stock tire on a half-ton pickup is beyond me.

So now that I see what you are saying, I apologize. Put the can of ether down and back away, lol. I misinterpreted "add-ons" for what I view as craziness for initial stock sizes now on vehicles.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Seguino said:
Well, the local tire man had my size ( 205/55/16 ) for $110, and Yokohama Canada has a rebate on them now so the net price was $90. They go on next Wednesday and I will post a review after I put a few miles on them and do a fill up to see if they save fuel as claimed.

Thanks, please keep us updated.

OK they went on this morning. No ether involved! Here's my "early early evaluation" after a 30MI run. Good stability @75MPH. Nice and quiet. Really crisp turning into corners. Ride is balanced more to the performance side, although not harsh. Give me a week to check on any MPG improvement. Seems to be an excellent tire for the price. Previous tires were OEM Bridgestone RE92 and I like these a lot better. If you're happy with the price I think they'll do you well. Good luck.

It is a new tire from Yokohama. In my 215/55-17 size, it is priced at $125/tire on TireRack, which is extremely competitive. It also carries a 60,000 mile warranty and is lighter than the OE tires at only 23 lbs.
crazy2.gif

Anyone have a set?

Hey Mike,
Don't know if you are still interested, but I just replaced the tires on my Fit with these. They don't come in the Fit's stock 16 inch size (185/55), but 205/50 works out to almost exactly the same diameter. In that size, they were $96 each at tirerack.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC

Hey Mike,
Don't know if you are still interested, but I just replaced the tires on my Fit with these. They don't come in the Fit's stock 16 inch size (185/55), but 205/50 works out to almost exactly the same diameter. In that size, they were $96 each at tirerack.

I wonder if the footprint is any larger with the 205 and whether it will impact fuel economy. How are you liking them so far?

I wonder if the footprint is any larger with the 205 and whether it will impact fuel economy. How are you liking them so far?

Given how these things generally work, the footprint will be slightly larger, but shorter and wider - and the fuel economy impact is hardly worth mentioning.

The Yoko ENV will be in serious consideration for my Accord OE replacements. Will wait until a new Discount Tire opens closer to my house and they have the Grand Opening Sale.

Have now owned 3 sets of Yoko's. First set, my first purchase from DT was the Avid Touring for a Civic. Great tire, got ~70k. The 520's, rode fine but only got ~30k treadlife, got a nice treadwear credit from DT towards some BFG T/A's. And now Geolander H/T-S, which so far ride very smooth and quiet.

Well I'll tell you, I know some of it may just be the change to a fresh tire, but my ride to work this morning was quite impressive. The tire (and probably the wider contact patch) make a big difference over the OEM Dunlops I had.

Haven't really driven them enough yet to tell. I put them on last thursday afternoon, drove to work and back on them on friday, then flew out on business Sunday morning. Just got back. Haven't even cranked my car yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back