Move Over, Michelin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Consumer Reports latest test, the Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 is ranked #2 in the category of Ultra High-Performance All-Season tires. That is very impressive for Sumitomo.

I'm about ready to replace the lousy OE Michelins on the Honda. Looks like the narrowed choices are the Yoko Avid ENVigors or Michelin Primacy MXV4's. Leaning toward the Yoko's primarily because of large price difference, also DT currently has a $40 rebate on Yoko's. Was hoping for a grand opening sale at the new DT store nearby.

Ya know, I have never purchaced Michelin after market but I have had them on vehicles that I pruchaced(Honda's) and I do like them. I do recomend them to those who want better tires without doing alot of searching and aren't concerned about cost. But for myself, I would rather search to see if I can find really good tires for my driving style/climate and just pay a whole lot less. Even though Michelin often has $70.00 rebates going on, it's still alot of money compared to other tires that are still rated high.

My neice just put a set(4) HydroEdge on her Civic. I would have recomended something else for her type of driving(short distances), miles per year(< 10K), and climate(4 seasons) but, she didn't go wrong! I could have helped her save in excess of $100 on the tires alone. That money is important right now but again, she didn't go wrong!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
TR tends to always praise the new kid (tire) on the block, probably to give it its 15 minutes of fame and help get the sales going. Until another new tire comes along...

I agree.. When Kumho's first appeared, TR made them sound like the best bargain around. Now they are priced very similar to every other average tire and they are very average, IMO.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Stock Bridgestones on our vans run less than 25k before needing replacement. I've purchased most major brands and never been impressed.

Michelin LTX run around 50-60k. TOTALLY transforms the trucks! Seems worth it to me.

You guys all get to buy whatever you want. But on my personal trucks and my fleet we only run Michelins.

Your mileage may vary

X2! everything gets Michelins from the pickups to the Kenworth to the lowbed. they are all shod in Michelins.

Have tried other brands of light duty and heavy duty truck tires, the offerings from Goodyear were just a waste of time, money and natural resources. my second choice if i needed tires NOW would be Yokohama

Last edited:
Check w/DT. Somebody said they had a "$100 off a set of tires day" once each Fall. Primacys are O.K. if you have alot of smooth highway driving but can be Harsh in city driving if your streets have a lot of repairs,joints,or occasional potholes.

The way the Firestone distributors are pushing the new Precision's, I expected them to be a better tire.

Many Michelin tires are not at the top performer in its class, but their tread life is almost always longer than almost all others. The two Harmony tires on my LS400 lasted longer than 3 other pairs of tires since it was put on 8 years ago. It still have about 3/32" tread left after more than 100k miles. I tried many brand name tires, none lasted more than 40k miles and some as little as 25k miles.

It costs a total of $250 for a pair, tax and installation included, while the other 3 pairs cost more than $500 and all gone. Michelin may cost more up front but the actual cost is much less in the long run.

Overall, they make very good tires and consistent quality. However, when looking for AT tires for my 4Runner, I ended up with the Hankooks Dynapros. After using the Michelin LTX M&S and AT and Bridgestone Revos, the Hankooks are better handling tires. Still, all the cars wear Michelin Primacy MXV4s or the Exaltos.

Bridgestone Potenzas, good dry traction, average wet, below average winter precip. Cost: $175 Life: 20,000 miles

General Exclaim, Nearly as good dry traction, average wet, average winter precip. Cost: $110 Life: 25,000 miles

Kelly Fierce Instinct ZR, good dry traction, good wet, average in winter precipitation. Cost: $100, Life: over 20,000 miles and still plenty of treadlife left

The best tire I've had on my car, cost the least.

Kelly Fierce is not very popular, you can not find it at many tire stores nor it's available at well known online sites such as Tirerack, Discount Tire Direct ...

I hear about Kelly Fierce a year ago but could not find many feedback about it so that I gave up.

Kelly Fierce are made in the USA, are a subsidiary of Goodyear, look a lot like Eagle GT-s (so it would not suprise me if they share some basic construction), and were affordable so I took a chance.

I am very pleased at how well it worked out.

one thing I am not to impressed with tirerack about is they test on BMW's why not choose something 95% of the people buying the tires will be driving.

I'm not saying to run them on a focus....

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Michelins are over rated. Not bad tires, but no better than some of the competition.

I have a set of 2003 model year Michelin X Radial LTs (essentially the same as the LTX M/S) with ~130,000 miles that disagree. They still ride better and are quieter than many new car tires. Exceptional tires.

If you like long life and good stick then Michelins are very hard to beat.

I have run LTX M/S out to over 60k miles on 9000 pound vans! These vans destroy Bridgestones in 20k!

Some of the best tires made, and yet some of the cheapest to own.

A very rare combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back