Yokohama Avid Ascend GT or Continental True Contact Tour ?

Size is 15" and H is preferred . What's your experience with one of these or both ? Especially for wet roads and snow/ice on occasion .

I am bias, I have had 4 sets of Continental True Contact Touring. You cant beat the snow/rain of the tire. I like the gussets inside the main circumference groves as even with 1/2 tread those help in snow traction on a worn tire. I just bought a new set this fall for the wife's Rav4. I love those tires, so does she. I have Goodyear Cross Climate 2 on my daughters Mazda 3.

Depends on year/make/model and if you run snows for the winter since your location states "northeast". Is that Northeast Maine or northeast Florida?

My Yokohamas on my VW are excellent. My Continentals on my Toyota are excellent. Both are perfect for the expectations and capability of the vehicle, and the way I drive them.

Northeast can have some demanding winters but some areas do sand/salt/plow extremely well, while other areas don't. I don't think that I'd want to live in New England again without either an all weather tire, or 2 sets of tires.

Agree with all the Conti votes. I’m on my 5th overall set with about 350k total miles on them. The True Contact / TC Tour lines are great tires for the money. First 100 miles or so they can be a bit harsh over edged impacts but they soften quickly and are great in all weather conditions.

I have used 5 sets of Continentals so far and they are great. Better than the Michelins that I was using.

I agree with the consensus here on the Continentals. I have a set (second) on the Suzuki, my sister is running them on her Honda and I've recommended them to relatives and friends. If ever I've encountered a "does everything" tire these are it. Smooth, great wear, exceedingly quiet and absolutely surprising in snow (just short of a dedicated snow tire).

What is the full tire size? :unsure:

If snow is an important consideration, consider 3-peak tires, such as:
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4, Nordman Solstice, or the Encompass AW01
Michelin CC2
Vredestein Quatrac
General 365AW

I’m going to 2nd the continental > Yokohama.

ugh. I kinda hate this. I’ve got 2 YO yokohama tires that were excellent new, but now spin out when raining on level ground, even trying to accelerate at 35 mph. There are some streets with an uphill slope I can’t take in my truck now in my neighborhood. IMO the yokos balanced far better and are like glass on the highway, but the rain traction seems to be fading rapidly.

Conti's = Standard Touring All-Seasons

Yoki's = Grand Touring All-Seasons

Even after seeing the spider charts which are not exacting between the two different tests. I think it is based on the group of tires at the time of the test. I would take the Conti's as I know they still perform great at 4/32 in the rain and are ok in the snow at that used up measurement. While I have not tested the Yoki's, but I catch saying to myself when driving my wife's Rav4in the Minnesota winter, "how can these worn tires have this traction when they are at 4/32". And of course they stick so well in the rain even at 4/32 and I don't find they are greasy feeling in the rain after they have slightly harded and bump into hydroplaning enviroment by the shear lack of tire depth.

What is the full tire size? :unsure:

If snow is an important consideration, consider 3-peak tires, such as:
Toyo Celsius
Nokian WRG4, Nordman Solstice, or the Encompass AW01
Michelin CC2
Vredestein Quatrac
General 365AW
Studded winter tires from November > April . Leaning towards the True Contact Tour . Thanks for the suggestions .

Last edited:
I'm looking at the same models for my son's Forte 205-55-16. Tire Rack also has Continental SureContact RX in his size but not much for reviews. The Avid Ascent GT gets good results for the wet and ride on TR. One of users on DriveAccord uses them all the time and (and Michelin X-ice). He racks up over 100k each year so goes through multiple sets quickly.

Snow not a concern as he has VikingContact 7.

My biggest criteria for him is excellent rain, quiet, good ride. Long mileage not as much as he doesn't rack that many miles currently. Forte is bad on noise even after we deadened the doors, trunk.

Local dealer has the following prices mounted.
Nokian one - $129
General Altimax RT45 - $138
Continental TrueContact - $152

Costco Sale mounted.
Michelin CrossClimate2 - $158

Discount Tire Direct - I need to call as it says special order and not sure if actually available.
Pirelli P7 All Season Plus 2 - $117 (plus install). I have these on my Accord and very happy with the noise and performance wet and dry.

Like the sipes of the T.C.T. that go close to the base . You'll notice sipes of the blocks start shallow on one side and get deeper toward the other side . Same method was used for RT43s' . Depth starts at 11/32s' .

Pictures of new T.C.T. tires tread start at 6:02 .

Last edited:
I have yet to drive a better wet weather tire than the CC2, and continental’s all terrain offering.

I will say that I've had the Avid Ascend GT before and while they are all around a good tire, they are bizarrely loud on smooth freshly paved surfaces- like, very noticeably so. Wasn't an issue on most surfaces but on fresh paved smooth asphalt they were inordinately loud. I will second that the CC2 seems to be the best all season/all weather tire available.

I was comparing those 2 exact tires for my 02 Accord and went with the Ascend GT. Still very new so nothing deep to say about them but they seem very smooth and quiet enough. Good in dry and wet so far - no snow experience and no regrets so far but time will tell!

Back