Yokohama Avid Ascend GT or Continental True Contact Tour ?

100% Yokohama . I've used Continentals ( DWS and pure contact ) in the past on several vehicles. They were just "ok" thats about it. ( no where near the hyped up Tire Rack ratings ) so no reason to go back to them. Ive used and currently use the Yoko Ascend GT, Advan Sport A/S, and have used G015 ( due to the #PMSF ) on some trucks and SUV's. All EXCELLENT tires.

I’ve had the V-rated ascend GT on two different vehicles in 17” and 18” sizes. My mom also has a set of 17” tires on her Jetta after my recommendation.

They are the best high mileage ECO tires I’ve ever owned on any vehicle in ride quality and grip. Love them.

My Ascend GT are still pretty new, but today I got to drive them in torrential rain and they were great on the backroads and the highway. I was a little disappointed in the noise on the highway - louder than I would have expected but performance-wise still no regrets.

I have Ascends on the wifes Mazda3, they were great when new and still great on dry pavement, but as the mileage builds up the wet traction has degraded significantly, even with plenty of tread left. Plan on leaving them on through summer but then I'm ditching them.

I have the true contact as OEM tires on my 21 HRV Sport and I must say they have been a good tire.... I usually buy Mitchelin when I replace the tires but if the true contact are at a good price I would purchase a set.My size is 225/50R18 with a v speed rating...

Consider adding the Nokian One's to the list. If I'm not mistaken, they came out after the Avid Ascend GT.

-Aramid sidewall
-Great grip in wet and good grip in dry
-Good performance in snow. Took off my winter tires earlier than usual this year and was surprised at how good the One's were in the cold.
-Recent stock should be made in the USA as the Russian factory was sold by Nokian

Last edited:
Consider adding the Nokian One's to the list. If I'm not mistaken, they came out after the Avid Ascend GT.

-Aramid sidewall
-Great grip in wet and good grip in dry
-Good performance in snow. Took off my winter tires earlier than usual this year and was surprised at how good the One's were in the cold.
-Recent stock should be made in the USA as the Russian factory was sold by Nokian
I'm usually a Continental guy, but these Nokian One's seem to be well liked, and quite reasonably priced
I may consider them for the Fusion, and it's infuriatingly expensive Ford size of 225/50/17

I'm usually a Continental guy, but these Nokian One's seem to be well liked, and quite reasonably priced
I may consider them for the Fusion, and it's infuriatingly expensive Ford size of 225/50/17

Since it’s a North American exclusive, I’m guessing Nokian wanted something good to entice us after opening up the plant in Tennessee so they made an effort with this one.

The aramid sidewall was exclusive to SUV tires before this. I often drive on dirt roads and this latest set lives up to the hype.

High speed driving in the rain, tight turns, exploring off-road or accidentally hitting curbs in parking lots (unfortunately happens often..) - the one does it all and does it well.

Last edited:
Since it’s a North American exclusive, I’m guessing Nokian wanted something good to entice us after opening up the plant in Tennessee so they made an effort with this one.

The aramid sidewall was exclusive to SUV tires before this. I often drive on dirt roads and this latest set lives up to the hype.

High speed driving in the rain, tight turns, exploring off-road or accidentally hitting curbs in parking lots (unfortunately happens often..) - the one does it all and does it well.

I just purchased a set of Nokian ONE on rollback at WM for $135 each in size 225/55/19. Total OTD was about $650. Couldn't pass up the deal. They are $215 each at DTD.

Just about every other "premium" tire in that size including CC2, Bridgestone Weatherpeak, Continental LX25, Pirelli Scorpion, and even the OEM Ecopias would cost at least $1k OTD.

I have an appointment to get them installed next week.

I just purchased a set of Nokian ONE on rollback at WM for $135 each in size 225/55/19. Total OTD was about $650. Couldn't pass up the deal. They are $215 each at DTD.

Just about every other "premium" tire in that size including CC2, Bridgestone Weatherpeak, Continental LX25, Pirelli Scorpion, and even the OEM Ecopias would cost at least $1k OTD.

I have an appointment to get them installed next week.

FYI, it comes with a road hazard warranty through Nokian for the 1st year.

https://www.nokiantires.com/consumer-promises/nokian-tyres-pothole-protection-warranty/

Back