Yokohama YK740 vs. Geolandar CV G058 vs. Continental Control Contact A/S Plus

Two of the tires in question are DT exclusives, but I believe they are most similar to:

YK740 = Ascend GT
Control Contact Tour A/S Plus = Truecontact Tour

The two Yokohamas are 5-7% cheaper than the Continental.

Of the 3, the Geolandar CV G058 is the newest model (2020 release) and appears to be tailored towards CUV’s.

The vehicle is a Crosstrek, 225/55R17. It is used for in-town driving, but may occasionally see a trip to Tahoe. The vehicle only sees 5-6K/yr, so getting a tire that will be around for a while is important…especially since this is a Subaru.

Which tire would be your choice in this situation?

Last edited:
How important is that trip to tahoe?

you say "so getting a tire that will be around for a while is important…especially since this is a Subaru."

but even a 40k tire would last 6years? All my subarus have wore tires very even?
Had the yk-740 on the 13 outback.. they were sorta Meh. Average or slightly above average at almost everything... Which might be a good tire for that crosstrek.

Off topic what year is the crosstrek and how do the LCA bushings look? every subaru I've had or worked on those bushings looked terrible by 5 years.

Last edited:
How important is that trip to tahoe?

you say "so getting a tire that will be around for a while is important…especially since this is a Subaru."

but even a 40k tire would last 6years? All my subarus have wore tires very even?
Had the yk-740 on the 13 outback.. they were sorta Meh. Average or slightly above average at almost everything... Which might be a good tire for that crosstrek.

Off topic what year is the crosstrek and how do the LCA bushings look? every subaru I've had or worked on those bushings looked terrible by 5 years.
14, still has the original tires.

Tahoe trip isn’t the main area of concern. Haven’t looked at the bushings in a while.

You drive so little, the difference in prices is insignificant when amortized over the life of the tires. So pick whichever one you think will give you the best performance. I would likely opt for the Continentals.

i have discount tire’s yokohama yk740 on my s.w. toyota yaris and continental contact tour on my n.e. vw passat. both are way better than their cheaper uniroyal tiger paws and kelly edge predecessors, respectively. only the conti set has run on lightly snowy streets, and do perfectly fine, as long as one drives sanely. given o.p.’s tahoe trips i would pick the conti set.

i have discount tire’s yokohama yk740 on my s.w. toyota yaris and continental contact tour on my n.e. vw passat. both are way better than their cheaper uniroyal tiger paws and kelly edge predecessors, respectively. only the conti set has run on lightly snowy streets, and do perfectly fine, as long as one drives sanely. given o.p.’s tahoe trips i would pick the conti set.
Any other thoughts on their performance?

BFG ko2 not an option? Best a/t tires I have had as far as even wear and longevity. Ride is good enough.
Why would I use an A/T tire for on-road driving in a FWD hatchback?

Any other thoughts on their performance?

i had a $500 all-in target price for both sets of tires. the continental tires run demonstrably quieter and stickier than their kelly edge predecessors on the passat. the yokohama tires were the best quality tire that discount tire had in stock that fit the yaris and met my price target. the yokos have been on two l.v.-l.a. road trips, performing way better than the uniroyal predecessors. while acknowledging that my two cars are different beasts i would get the contis, but wouldn’t be unhappy with the yokos.

Yokohama YK-CTX currently on the van. Don’t know how similar they are to YK740 but the CTX is solid. 7,500 miles so far. Handles dry and wet very well. A little noisier than the factory Firestones. Wife doesn’t notice it but I do. No loss of mpg. No issues when the van has been loaded up with passengers and cargo which is often. If I had guess 1000lbs or so of payload weight. Cost $900 out the door from DT. If they can make it over 50K I’d buy them again.

The local DT really thinks well of the Yokohama tire… the yk740. The sales guy there wasn’t allowed to offer his “opinion” when I asked him about the g015, but he said he could give me facts, and he listed his 3x purchase of the yoko g015 for his POV. They tried hard to sell me on the 740 for the Lexus when I complained about road noise from the previous tires on it.

my personal, limited comparison is the continentals have a superior rain grip compound, but the build tolerances and precision go to the Yokohama. The yoko’s shine on the highway in being smooth, balanced and precise. Several instances of reviews from tire techs I’ve found online indicated more runout than they like to see on continentals. i still think highly of continentals, especially their all terrain offering.

handling - continentals are known for a softer, more comfortable sidewall and compliant ride. Yoko will likely be more precise with a little more road feel. Which do you prefer?

Went with the Geolandar CV G058. $730 installed, OTD. Apparently, DT has their private label version of this tire (YK-CTX) but it is not available in this size. For a mid-grade 225/55-17 tire, installed with road hazard, I thought it was a decent deal in today’s market.

Not surprisingly, the new tires felt a bit grippier in the rain than the 8-yr/48K OE tires that were removed. However, there wasn’t a significant change in noise levels or ride quality.

Back