Toyo vs Continentals vs Yokohama vs Pirelli

Wolf, I love me a quiet, good riding(over impacts) tire.

Another tire that you may want to consider if quiet is a high priority is the Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack. It is available in your size but, only in "V" speed rating and can be pricey(~$136/ea). The Quiettrack didn't show to be as good as others in the TireRack testing in the wet testing but, neither do Pirelli's(we have to wait for the P7 A/S+ II test). However the Quiettrack shows to have a very good ride & quiet ride with very competent handling.

I've had lot of Pirelli's that didn't do well in the wet(in side-by-side testing) but, it was never anything I could notice myself. AND I Love'em. And just because a tire doesn't show to be as good in wet testing with its "side-by-side competition", doesn't mean the tire sucks. It still does better than other tires that it WASN'T compared with.

I like the idea of the Bridgestone Turanza Quiettrack, Conti's Truecontact TOUR, Pirelli's P7 All-season PLUS II and would have no issues picking up any of them in my particular price range(keywords-price range). I mean, which tire could I get(at the time I am buying) for the best price/warranty etc., etc.

Last edited:
We have the Continental True Contacts on our Mazda 6 and like them a lot. I've had P7s on other cars, and think they are a good tire, but the Continentals seem to wear better, are better in the rain, and offer similar performance otherwise. You'd most likely be happy with the Pirelli or Continental True Contacts. Leaning toward the Contis in your application, but I would let the best bang for your buck decide if there is a considerable price difference. If the price difference is negligible, get the True Contacts IMHO.

I've got 36k miles on my '14 Mazda 3 and the OEM tires are Yokohama Avid A34. Plenty of tread left, even wear since I do rotate them. Now it developed a bad vibration and it turns out the left front tire came apart internally showing a bulge in the middle of the tread. I've never liked Yokohama tires but I did like Continentals on a Lexus that I owned years ago, and they were well reviewed for the Mazda 3 (205x60x16) so I got a set of the PureContact LS. I'm looking forward to better traction, quieter freeway driving, and longer life. Also, size-wise the Contis are a perfect match for the OEM tires, as revs per mile are 809 vs. 808.

Curious: did you all have the same OEM tires? How much life did you all get out of them? It seems like tires is an area that most economy cars like the Mazda3 cut corners to reduce cost.

For what it’s worth I’ve been deciding between Continental TrueContact Tour and ExtremeContact DWS-06 for my 2016 Civic LX. The TrueContact make more sense but I’m heavily leaning towards the ExtremeContact because I think they’ll be more fun for my “slightly spirited” driving style.

I’m excited!

I like the Yokohama AVID Ascend GT's I put on my Accord Sport last year. They are a quiet, soft-riding tire even on a relatively wide, low-profile size like a 235/45-18 but they are not very sporty.

My thoughts on them from another thread:

I now have the Conti PureContacts on my '14 Mazda3, and they're a nice upgrade from the OEM tires. Exactly as expected. Better traction and a bit quieter on the freeway.

Also, I installed the Progress rear sway bar and it is a nice improvement to handling. Excellent build quality, better than OEM, perfect fit, adjustable, and the soft setting has noticeably less body roll than the OEM sway bar. That makes the turn-in more responsive with less understeer. Yet it's not a huge difference (perhaps the stiff setting would be), and very road-able. If you're running stickier tires for spirited driving, a stiffer rear sway bar is definitely a good thing to get, adding to the fun factor and getting more out of your tires.

Back