yes another which one should i pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3.5 hp briggs classic that im gonna be changing the oil in. I got the mower last year from a church that hadnt used it since 2005. I drained the brown gas and refilled and it started on the 1st pull. I changed the oil probably 4 times since i got it. It burns no oil with straight 30 wieght. the reason im changing it out now is i believe I got fuel in the crankcase. I'd like to get as much life out of it as possible but at the same time dont want to pour a lot of money into it. so the question is which oil (brand and weight) 3 bucks a quart and under would you guys suggest for this beast I'd like to run the oil for this season and next season if I can hold off that long on changing. Im usually good at choosing oil but this time there are just too many to pick from lol. I've thought of quakerstate defy, service pro from ace, and supertech 15w40. thanx in advance guys

As long as it's in good shape and doesn't burn oil, either HDEO 15W40 (in my case: Chevron Delo-Isosyn base) works wonders in both my B&S 4.5hp classic and my recent acquisition B&S675 series.

I also use 15W40 in my Honda GC series pressure washer, etc.

BTW: do wash,clean and oil the foam air filter every 15 hrs or so, to minimise any dirt ingestion (to reduce cylinder bore scouring due to sucked in abrasives (sand/grit/dirt).

Q.

i just bought a new filter today becuase the first one i bought i grossly over oiled to the point when i tipped it to change the blade it was dripping oil. I dont remember I think it was late when i oiled it or I was drinking. But either way it was going to be a pain to clean. Now I'm more educated and its a table spoon of oil, as opposed to like a half a quart in a small pan and only slightly rung out.

But every 15 hrs that seems to be alot, not that I dont believe you but it does have me thinking of making it a prefilter out of cheese cloth to reduce the amount of cleanings.

I'd use anything that was rated 10w-30, SAE30, or 15w-40 in a push mower.

My 6.5hp B&S-powered push-mower has a three year old mix of 10w-30 Maxlife, 15w-40 Rotella, and 5w-20 Mobil 1.

Doesn't burn any oil. Runs fine.

Originally Posted By: JRed

My 6.5hp B&S-powered push-mower has a three year old mix of 10w-30 Maxlife, 15w-40 Rotella, and 5w-20 Mobil 1.

Unless your lawn cuttings are like 10 minutes or it had not been started in two years, I wouldn't admit that...

Originally Posted By: stxonall8
But every 15 hrs that seems to be alot, not that I dont believe you but it does have me thinking of making it a prefilter out of cheese cloth to reduce the amount of cleanings.

I've taken enough B&S (rebuild) to tell you that of all the air cleaner types, oiled foam is about as bad as no filter at all.

in other words: the ingestion of grits/sand/abrasives are pretty bad (I'm not too worried about big obstacles) that gets into the engine, causing scoring of cylinder walls (which eventually, alongside with the valve guides and valve stem wears, causing significant oil burning issues, loss of compression, etc.)

I'm a big fan of paper automotive air filter type RE: filtering out small abrasive/sand/grits. Regrettably, the paper filter may become quite restrictive as it accumulates dirt.

So, IMHO, wash/re-oil foam air filter every 15 hours is just about right.

Q.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: JRed

Unless your lawn cuttings are like 10 minutes or it had not been started in two years, I wouldn't admit that...

Nope, bout an hour and fifteen minutes every four-five days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back