Year of the batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to start my I35 this morning and got a sloowww crank followed by rapid clicking. Called AAA and their machine said the 5 yr old AAP battery was kaput. Only warning was the alarm beep being softer than usual the day before but I didn't think much of it. I headed over to Batteries Plus and got a East Penn Duracell put in for $103 OTD. The kid doing the install was very professional and even saved the radio presets.

The other 2 cars had their batteries fail earlier this year. Now the fleet should be set for several years.

For peace of mind and to prevent strain on the charging system, I proactively change my car battery at 5 years. Lets me shop for best price at leisure.

Same here bruddah. Had a Diehard Gold (Deka), Everstart Maxx (JC), and 2 Optima Yellowtops fail due to a bad cell in less than 3 years. Yay warranty! Unexpected battery failure is why I always carry jumper cables.

I have a 6 year old Kirkland in my Jeep. Still going strong. Well up until this post. Now Im sure it will die.

Last year for me it was batteries, numbering four new batteries.

This year was more costly, four sets of tires.

Now these include my three vehicles plus my daughter's car.

Two SUV's and two trucks.

Last edited:
Got 4.5 yrs out of the original AC Delco in our 2012 Cruze. Got 5 years out of the factory installed AC Delco that we had in our 2011 Acadia. 5 years seems to be the turning point for batteries for us here in eastern NC.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Stop usung flooded batteries. I get 3x the life out of agm batteries here in the desert.

I paid $250 for a top of the line Diehard AGM. It died after 4 years, same life as the $100 battery it replaced.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
For peace of mind and to prevent strain on the charging system, I proactively change my car battery at 5 years. Lets me shop for best price at leisure.

I do the same.

I replaced the original battery in the Scion in November, not even 4 years out of it.
No warning at all, just did not start one morning (in garage, maybe 45°F).

My truck's battery (4 year old Auto Zone Gold) is on it's last legs.
Normal state it sits @ 12.2 v, starting is down to 9.6 v.
I have been putting it on the charger every few weeks to keep it going, but I will replace it in the next month or so.
I will be taking a long trip in August and don't want to worry about it then.

My Mom's is right at 4 years.
No problems so far and seems to be holding a charge, but I will replace it soon as well for piece of mind.

I think I am just going to get some Maxx batteries from Walmart.
I debated getting some from Advance Auto with their discount code, but Walmart still is cheaper even with the discount codes from AAP.
Walmart is $98 each. Using the 40% off code on both batteries, + 1 $20 speedperks is still about $110 per battery.

Just curious, does anyone take their battery out of their car and occasionally charge it on a battery charger? I hear that helps extend its life.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Last year for me it was batteries, numbering four new batteries.

This year was more costly, four sets of tires.

Now these include my three vehicles plus my daughter's car.

Two SUV's and two trucks.
that's where I'm at. Tires are going to be expensive in the near future.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Just curious, does anyone take their battery out of their car and occasionally charge it on a battery charger? I hear that helps extend its life.

I now charge mine periodically still in vehicle overnight on a 2A charger setting.
Started doing it about a year ago, not sure if it really helps or not.
I do make sure I check the water level more often as well.

My truck I do more often now, about every 2 weeks (as I said, it is probably close to dying) trying to keep it alive. I do too many short trips to get it fully charged I think, as well as the battery totally going dead twice while I was getting the truck running over a year time frame.

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Stop usung flooded batteries. I get 3x the life out of agm batteries here in the desert.

I paid $250 for a top of the line Diehard AGM. It died after 4 years, same life as the $100 battery it replaced.
Odd. I have the opposite experience.

That reminds me that I need to start looking for an Odyssey replacement... they are overworked with all the electronics and the OEM doesn't usually last much more that 3 years.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
That reminds me that I need to start looking for an Odyssey replacement... they are overworked with all the electronics and the OEM doesn't usually last much more that 3 years.

That factory battery on my Pilot lasted exactly 4 yrs. Honda batteries are just meh.

I had a 2002 Dodge Dakota with heavy duty electrics, and boy were they.

Battery went 8 years, and 80k miles in everyday use, and hot weather of Texas.

I was in WalMart parking lot for final slow start, and bought one there.

Worst was a 1990 Ford F150 which had a large battery.

It'd start great until 3 years, and never a slow start to clue me in. I let it do me that way 3 times, and sold burning 1 quart every 100 miles at 175k miles.

Reminded me to check mine.. Typically change them out at the 5 year mark. Two Duracell's from Sam's, one 4 years and the other 6 years. Neither is showing any signs of slowing down so just going to let it go. The Deka in the RV is 4 years but will change it at 5 years regardless. It's on a trickle charger majority of the time at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back