Yea or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Originally Posted By: kokopelli
lol. use the "zoom" feature on the PDF reader.

MASSIVE DUH on my part, thanks for the head slap. I forgot all about it. 5W20 it is for that model.

LOL. no big deal... it is easy to forget such things, I do it myself often.

benjamming had fact on the subject, thank you for that.

Anyone else with a 2008 Ford that can state the oil required or have access to that information?

Last edited:
The claim was that all Ford gasoline vehicles had been changed to 5W30 oil from 5W20. I find that almost impossible to believe but I'm double checking all sources available and asking those in the know. So, any model that has changed I'd like to be made aware of IF it is true.

I like to look at what the same car is spec'd for in Europe that way you're not being influenced by CAFE standards. 9 times out of 10 they spec a thicker oil. After the results of running thicker oil in my TL I will never use 20w again.

I call bogus. No big change in 2008. Most Fords use 5W-20.

Interesting, though to look at the Amsoil app guide. for the 2008 Mustang:

4.6L 8-cyl Engine code H All Temps......5W-20
4.0L 6-cyl Engine code N All Temps......5W-30
5.4L 8-cyl Engine code S All Temps......5W-50

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
After the results of running thicker oil in my TL I will never use 20w again.

Care to elaborate?

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
After the results of running thicker oil in my TL I will never use 20w again.

Care to elaborate?

Two things happened that I didn't anticipate. The car feels slightly quicker especially in the vtec range and the oil stays golden longer. The first thing really surprised me. After reading posts on here I was expecting it to feel more sluggish so I don't think it's the placebo effect. The car flat out moves better under high load/rpm. The oil staying cleaner longer could be from less blowby which would also explain the increase in power.

Not that it's important but the valvetrain noise is pretty much completely gone too. I'm thinking of trying a 10-40 in the summer.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I call bogus. No big change in 2008. Most Fords use 5W-20.

Interesting, though to look at the Amsoil app guide. for the 2008 Mustang:

4.6L 8-cyl Engine code H All Temps......5W-20
4.0L 6-cyl Engine code N All Temps......5W-30
5.4L 8-cyl Engine code S All Temps......5W-50

Pablo that is interesting. Perhaps the guy was partially correct?

I like to look at what the same car is spec'd for in Europe that way you're not being influenced by CAFE standards. 9 times out of 10 they spec a thicker oil. After the results of running thicker oil in my TL I will never use 20w again.

In that case, you become influenced by recommendations in areas of the world where not all grades of oil are readily available and therefore limiting the options the manufacturer can expect consumers to use.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
Pablo that is interesting. Perhaps the guy was partially correct?

I'm not sure what to make of it.....sometimes this "early" information can be considered preliminary, and may soon be cleaned up. We need to research the above models from a different angle to assure that these callouts are correct.

Has anyone tried running 5w-20 25k miles without an oil change, UOAs of course.
The euro spec is usually thicker.
The CAFE specs call for increased mileage. Manufacturers cheat by using a lighter weight oils to gain 1-3 MPG

Pablo, for the 4.0 SOHC Ford engine, European designed, Ford always spec'd 5W-30. I'm not sure about the 5.4 for the Mustang you mention. It must be a high performance engine because the 5.4's in the Ford Trucks spec 5W-20 and run well on it
21.gif
. The 5.4's in the Ford GT used 5W-50 oil I believe. Just because the engine has the same liter size does not mean it's the same engine internally. One grade of oil does not fit every engine. But using the manufacture's recommendation is certainly a good starting point. Back this up with an UOA or two and you will know what's best for your engine and driving conditions.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Is there 304 pages in the flight operation manual on a Boeing 777 . That is one big manual.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that the difference is that the 777 manual has useful information on every page.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Quote:
Just because the engine has the same liter size does not mean it's the same engine internally.

Really?
whistle.gif
LOL.gif
grin2.gif

Are you busting me
wink.gif
grin2.gif
?

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Is there 304 pages in the flight operation manual on a Boeing 777 . That is one big manual.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess that the difference is that the 777 manual has useful information on every page.
grin2.gif

LOL! They'd all save some space if they didn't print up pages explaining how to unlock the doors and start the engine!!; how to roll the windows up/down, how to use the glove box, parking brake, etc.... If one doesn't know this basic stuff, then they shouldn't be driving!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back