XG2 still has wire backing, how close to OG Ultra is it?

Hi there everyone, so I'm new here. Lots of valuable information I see, as I have been studying for the past few days trying to find the best filter I can get. I finally settled on the Ultra. Kinda sad to learn it had been downgraded some last year, but I'm hearing it's still very good, so I still have faith in them. Anyways, I went into Walmart today, and picked up the first XG2 I found. Broke the tape seal on the outside and peeked in to see what was going on, and I was shocked to see a wire backing inside! I am not sure if this is particular to this specific model or what, but it's nice to see. I am unsure how close to OG Ultra it is. I cannot tell if it's cellulose behind the wire or synthetic. I am leaning towards it being synthetic. Filter date looks to be May 26, 2022 and I do not see it mention wire backing on the box.

I have two personal engines I take care of, which are my 4.6 2V in my 2000 Town Car, and then my CV495 Kohler Command 1-cyl. on a '03 Craftsman LT. I switched from the FL820S to the Ultra on the Town Car, and then also switched the '03 LT from a stock Kohler filter (typical e-core), to an Ultra as well. So it was interesting to see the XG2 has the wire backing still, and the XG3614 does not have that same feature. I baby the LT, rebuilt the engine 2 years back. Probably have close to $1,000+ in that 19 y/o mower! Always changing the oil way before it gets dark, it comes out about the same color as coffee. I'm sure the e-core would've worked fine, but I liked that the Ultra does better at lower microns. That's something I worry about more with the LT being that it's constantly exposed to a ton of dust. Then for the old 2000 TC, I like the Ultra because I'm running 0W-40 Euro Spec Mobil 1. Figured it would work with the XG2 pretty well. Will see tomorrow on cold start.

I also went to Advance Auto, saw the Titanium Fram but didn't bother because it was $7 more than the Ultra at Walmart. But then I also noticed some of the older style Purolator Boss 15K filters were there. I saw the same part number with both the 15K and 20K options, so some old stock floating around town maybe. Either way I was also very sad to learn that the Purolator Boss has been downgraded with the 20K ones. Not sure what the full details were but it seems like the new Ultra is better than new Boss. Seems like they were pretty close to the older Ultra at one point in terms of overall quality with the 15K Boss. Anyways, very cool forum, glad to be here, looking forward to learning more!

Attachments

• IMG_0520.JPEG
    IMG_0520.JPEG
    68.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0523.JPEG
    IMG_0523.JPEG
    64.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0524.JPEG
    IMG_0524.JPEG
    163.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0525.JPEG
    IMG_0525.JPEG
    142 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0526.JPEG
    IMG_0526.JPEG
    201.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0527.JPEG
    IMG_0527.JPEG
    195.4 KB · Views: 108
Anyways, I went into Walmart today, and picked up the first XG2 I found. Broke the tape seal on the outside and peeked in to see what was going on, and I was shocked to see a wire backing inside! I am not sure if this is particular to this specific model or what, but it's nice to see. I am unsure how close to OG Ultra it is.
If it's wire backed, then it's basically the OG Ultra (and same as the Fram Titanium available at AAP). I see the date code is the 146th day of 2022, so it's not real old, but maybe one of the last to get made with the wire backing (?). Better go back and get more if there are more of those on the shelf.

Last edited:
If it's wire backed, then it's basically the OG Ultra (and same as the Fram Titanium available at AAP). I see the date code is the 146th day of 2022, so it's not real old, but maybe one of the last to get made with the wire backing (?). Better go back and get more if there are more of those on the shelf.
True, probably will. I keep hearing the new ultra filters smaller stuff better, is this true? Anything's better than running the tear-prone FL820. Also what's the difference between the current TG and the new XG?
The Purolator Boss isn't anywhere near as efficient as the OG or new style of Ultra.
Did not know that and will keep it in mind.

I keep hearing the new ultra filters smaller stuff better, is this true?
There was some "info" provided by FRAM, but it had a lot of wrong stuff on it too (like details about the OG Ultra) so I'm not confident it is accurate. We'd need to have a new one tested, like we had the OG tested, to see if that's actually the case.

Two filters I'd like to see tested are:
1. The new Ultra
2. The AMSOIL EaO

There was some "info" provided by FRAM, but it had a lot of wrong stuff on it too (like details about the OG Ultra) so I'm not confident it is accurate. We'd need to have a new one tested, like we had the OG tested, to see if that's actually the case.

Two filters I'd like to see tested are:
1. The new Ultra
2. The AMSOIL EaO
Add RP to that list. I don’t trust anything First Brands tech “support” says about anything, too many proven lies & lack of knowledge.

Add RP to that list. I don’t trust anything First Brands tech “support” says about anything, too many proven lies & lack of knowledge.
The RP was tested by Ascent Filtration testing already, and it did well, but a bit below the performance of the OG Ultra.

The RP was tested by Ascent Filtration testing already, and it did well, but a bit below the performance of the OG Ultra.
Very good. In the past, I believe the RP and the AMSOIL filters were, for all intents and purposes, the same. They were painted/colored and labeled differently.

Yes, it would be good to see the new Ultra and the AMSOIL filters get tested and critically compared. Perhaps today's RP could be thrown in for good measure.

Last edited:
Here's a link to the test data.

Very good. In the past, I believe the RP and the AMSOIL filters were, for all intents and purposes, the same. They were painted/colored and labeled differently.

Yes, it would be good to see the new Ultra and the AMSOIL filters get tested and critically compared. Perhaps today's RP could be thrown in for good measure.
They've always looked the same, because they tended to both be produced by Champion Labs, however, AMSOIL has always claimed to use the Donaldson Synteq media, while RP hasn't, which one would assume, has an impact on efficiency.

AMSOIL has always claimed to use the Donaldson Synteq media, while RP hasn't, which one would assume, has an impact on efficiency.

IT'S VISUALLY IDENTICAL.... There's really no good reason to think the media is different in any way.

Well, except for the fact that the company whose name is on the can specifically indicates they use the Donaldson media.

That's part of a "licensing agreement", I am sure.

You can't mention someone (Donaldson Synteq) for free!
There was certainly some $$$$$$$ exchanged for those bragging rights.

That's part of a "licensing agreement", I am sure.

You can't mention someone (Donaldson Synteq) for free!
There was certainly some $$$$$$$ exchanged for those bragging rights.

I am sure you are quite right. Donaldson and AMSOIL used to have a pretty good relationship. The EaA air filters were also using Donaldson media, though that product line was discontinued, as I think it wasn't high enough volume to keep it profitable. I had bought a couple of the OE-fit EaA's for my Expedition and my dad's. Had the blue Donaldson Syntec media in it (same stuff you see in the PowerCore) which was of course class-leading in efficiency.

I THINK you can still get the "universal" filters that use the Donaldson media from the AMSOIL website, but I haven't checked lately.

Back