XG 3614

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram extended guard XG 3614

I have one of these sitting in my garage. Upon inspection, I did not see a bypass valve, but this particular application calls for one. According to a Wix filter cross reference, this filter should have a bypass valve. The filter was destined for a beater, but a Motorcraft took its place (FL910). I am almost tempted to cut open the fram and look for the missing bypass....

Anything difference about the Fram Extended guard that would make the bypass valve harder to see on the bottom of the can? Frams typically have those large clicker style units that are easily visible in the middle of the bottom leaf spring...

I would be very surprised(shocked) if the Extended Guard did NOT have a bypass valve. I've used the Tough Guard and it's clone the Honda A-01, on both it's difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish the adbv from outside the can. It would be dome end, and it just looks sort of shiny in appearance from the inside. I have never been able to actually see the adbv.

Unlike the ocd, the Extended Guard is a quality filter which I would not hesitate to use to 10k in a timely manner. I understand your hesitance, and trust of the Purolator made Motorcraft. In this case though, the Extended Guard is one Fram up to the task.

Not sure how their CS dept. is but you could email to confirm the presence of the adbv.

I doubt the filter is missing a part it's supposed to have.

I wouldn't waste it - they are good filters!

ADB valve is white plastic...under my lighting conditions that may make it really tough to see. I am going to stick my borescope down there and see whats going on.

I am probobly blind, and the white plastic is blending in with the aluminum spring under my fluorescent lighting. Unfortunately, I won't be able to check for a couple days. I'll keep you posted.

Originally Posted By: pzev
ADB valve is white plastic
I think you meant bypass valve being white plastic. That's likely why I've had trouble actually recognizing it in a Fram. As opposed to ST blue dot.

asiancivicmaniac posted a picture (posted below) of a cut open XG and you can see the bypass valve.

As said by addy, I'd use with confidence.

Cut open XG pics, scroll down

According to Fram http://www.power-21.com/FramPower21i/PartDetail.aspx?b=F&pn=XG3614 the XG3614 has a bypass setting of 12psi.

XG3614_040606.jpg

Yes, I meant bypass....thats what I get for posting at 5am.

Thanks for all the help all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back