XD-3 0W30 replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Recommendations I read on BITOG claimed that the Esso XD-3 0W30 provided an excellent price/quality ratio so I've been using it in our car for a while.

I ran out of it recently and it seems that it is not available anymore.
The Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30 that supposedly replaced it is described as an oil for Diesel engines.

My question is:
What oil should I use with similar quality and price characteristics?
Or, would you recommend something different?

Car: Toyota Sienna 2004 (2nd gen), 212K Km (132K miles)
Location: Canada, Toronto area (yes, it gets cold in the winter and the car is parked outside).
Oil/filter Change frequency: twice a year

Thank you,
Alex.

Hi Alex,

That oil is rather thick for your motor. It is a "heavy" 30, meaning it's closer to a 40. You can certainly use it, but there are better choices in my opinion.

I would stick with one of the "normal" 5w30/0w30 oils. I know that the selection and pricing in Canada is different from the US, so I can't give you the best answer. I'm sure someone from Canada can chime in with good information (we have lots of Canadian members).

The Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 is dual rated (SM for gasoline engines) and is very appropriate for our climate. Yes, it is heavier than a regular, ILSAC rated 0w-30, 5w-30, or 10w-30. The closest thing to it on Canadian shelves is probably German Castrol 0w-30, in terms of being a heavy 0w-30.

In terms of cold weather performance (i.e. real cold weather, as in the coldest days of the year), it is second to none, and has a high VI. As far as price goes, it is extremely attractive, with its regular price rivaling sale prices on synthetics at Walmart and Canadian Tire, and rivaling regularly priced conventional oils.

If its pricing and packaging is to your liking (I happen to like 5 gallon pails), use it. I'm tempted by it, too.

Thank you all for your replies, but I am a little confused.

What effect does the "heavier than usual" have?
Will it be a problem in the summer?

The winters in Toronto are not as harsh as in Regina. It is very rare for temperatures to dip below -20C (-4F).

Originally Posted By: alexolog
Thank you all for your replies, but I am a little confused.

The winters in Toronto are not as harsh as in Regina. It is very rare for temperatures to dip below -20C (-4F).

Thick of it this way: which is easier for you to suck up a straw, Coca-Cola or a milkshake? The engine has to work harder to pump thicker oil, which equates to lost horsepower and gas mileage. It's a small difference, but it's not zero.

Also, being thicker means it will generate a bit more heat in the engine. Again a small difference, but it's not zero.

As others said, you can certainly use it without worrying. It's just not my first choice for that vehicle.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It's just not my first choice for that vehicle.

What then, in your personal opinion, would be a better choice?
(Taking into account local climate and price).

If you'd like a good quality 0w-30, You can use Amsoil 0W-30. I've been using it in my 04 Corolla since new and so far so good.
I don't know how many km your are doing a year, bet you could also put an Ea oil filter and change it once a year.

Originally Posted By: alexolog

As dparm indicates, it won't cause you any problems. It's just not necessarily optimal. It will suck some power and some fuel, but the odds are it won't be noticeable. I don't notice any difference with my Delvac 1, but that doesn't mean it's not there.

There are plenty of choices and no one "right" answer. Petro-Canada makes some good oils, both conventional and synthetic, at very good prices, including 5w-30 and 0w-30 for PCMOs, along with a Delvac Elite 222 0w-30 competitor. Various conventionals and synthetics are regularly on sale at places like Canadian Tire, Partsource, and Walmart. Since you're not averse to going to a distributor, you could very easily pick up Formula Shell 5w-30 or Mobil Super 1000 5w-30.

Nonetheless, if you're pleased with what you've been doing so far and find it convenient and cost effective, there's no reason to change. If going to a distributor is a nuisance and you don't find the package size convenient, then it's also quite okay to switch to something else.

For me, a distributor is very close to one of my businesses, they give me a good deal, and I don't have to deal with the mess that is the oil aisle in Canadian Tire or Walmart or face their atrocious everyday pricing.

OK, I looked at the current promotions and that's what I found:

Pennzoil Platinum 5L Synthetic Oil $28
Castrol Edge with SPT 5L Oil Jugs 5W-30 $30
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 5L $29
NAPA Synthetic motor Oil 5L $27 (unverified)
Castrol Edge with FST 4.4L Oil Jugs 5W-30 $34

Don't seem to find the petro-canada distributor list.

For Petro-Canada, finding the local distributor can be a bit of a hassle. Since it would be a non-sponsor link, I'll give you a tip that will help you find it in seconds (and works for a lot of other distributors). You're not looking for a lubricant distributor. You're really looking for a bulk fuel distributor from the main PC site, under wholesale fuel from the main page, then to bulk plants. Then a search form appears, that allows you to select lubricant sales as one of the things you're looking for. For example, if you're in the Centre of the Universe, you'd be looking at Kidd Fuels Corp on Albion Road.

If you go looking solely for the lubricant distributor network under the PC lubricants website (rather than the bulk fuel page), you'll just be given the phone number 1-866-335-3369 which does work, too.

In any event, those prices you've found are pretty good. With Petro-Points, though, you can get their 5w-30 for "free."

In looking at your list, I always have a soft spot for Napa's specials. Unlike some of the other places where rain checks aren't possible or are a major hassle, Napa is more customer friendly. The sales are a month or more, instead of a week, and if they're out, they'll get you more in. Partsource has their month long sales, while quantities last, which is usually one business day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back