WTH is this? Yahoo mail question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last few times I opened Yahoo Mail, I see this "email" on the very top (in bold) (see screen shot below)
(Has happened about 3-4 times now)
- and I can't select it, delete it, mark it as spam or anything, as it doesn't have a check box next to it., like other real emails.

If I refresh the page a few times, it vanishes.
If I delete the 'real' email BELOW it, it vanishes along with the real email. (don't wanna keep doing THAT!)

If I click on it, it opens a new tab - which I closed quickly, so IDK what's on it.

Avast scan doesn't show anything. (webshield on).
FF latest version; Win 7 pro.

It's an advertisement, I think. I see you're in NC so it's obvious they're using some basic geolocation for a targeted ad.

If you use something like AdBlock in your browser I bet it will not show up. I suspect that the paid versions of Yahoo Mail don't show ads.

Originally Posted By: dparm
It's an advertisement, I think. I see you're in NC so it's obvious they're using some basic geolocation for a targeted ad.

If you use something like AdBlock in your browser I bet it will not show up. I suspect that the paid versions of Yahoo Mail don't show ads.

I do have Adblock in FF...

I have a different question (which I thought you were gonna ask). At the very top it says "Add Yahoo!(us-mg4.mail.yahoo.com) as an application for mailto links" What does this mean?

Originally Posted By: jhs914
I have a different question (which I thought you were gonna ask). At the very top it says "Add Yahoo!(us-mg4.mail.yahoo.com) as an application for mailto links" What does this mean?

It means that any time you click an email address, it would automatically launch Yahoo Mail for you.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

See if you can manually block that element.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

See if you can manually block that element.

Will do next time it appears. Thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jhs914

It means that any time you click an email address, it would automatically launch Yahoo Mail for you.
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It saw that you were shopping at Gap, so it figured you were a rich dad... LOL

LOL I only shop in the 'sale' section
smile.gif

Just had another one; I opened BLOCKABLE ITEMS ON THIS PAGE from AdBlock, and those addresses were all grayed out. Block this item option is grayed out when right clicked on the item...

Here's what Adblock looks like. Am I doing something wrong?
What can I do at this point? (see image below):

EDIT: Looks like it's not possible to remove these ads...
https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail/SLN3591.html?impressions=true

EDIT: found this FF add-on; seems to work.
Will confirm on next log-in.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/yahoomailhideadpanel/

Last edited:
There's something happening with the latest version of FF. I had both pc's get infected. Malwarebytes cleaned them up, and a couple of days later FF on my laptop was infected again. I removed FF on the laptop and have not tried using the desktop since. I was using FF for online banking because one of my sites won't work with Opera. At this point I don't trust FF.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
There's something happening with the latest version of FF. I had both pc's get infected. Malwarebytes cleaned them up, and a couple of days later FF on my laptop was infected again. I removed FF on the laptop and have not tried using the desktop since. I was using FF for online banking because one of my sites won't work with Opera. At this point I don't trust FF.

Wayne

I don't think it's necessarily from Firefox.

Yeah, moving from Yahoo is probably best...

Update:
Since installing that add on from FF, it (The ad-emails) has not happened again. (The banner on top is still there, but that's a minor issue, doesn't bother me as much)

Will monitor a few more days and report again.

I would strongly suggest thinking about switching over to gmail or something. I had a yahoo account once and it was so awful that I ended up deleting it. I've had gmail for a few years now and I love it!

I had high hopes for Yahoo when the new CEO took the helm. Sadly, Yahoo Mail has become even worse (didn't think that was possible!) with in-line ads and other crud in the web mail interface.

Outlook.com is far cleaner and more predictable.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
It is a Yahoo ad. I know people who get them too. You just need to ignore it. There is no way to get rid of them.

This.

At least my adblock does block them in
Opera 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back