wrong tires type :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
35psi is too low, LT tires need more PSI to carry the same weight as a P-metric.

I'd start at about 45psi empty, but someone smarter than me can find the load table and give you the correct pressures.

I dont know how much my 05 truck weight right now, but I will carry 5 peoples, around 130-160lb a person, couple luggage

here some info on my tires, LT 265-70R17 121/118S MS

Last edited:
I did some googling around 50psi with those tires is good compared to the load the p-metric size would carry at 35psi.

thanks, I will run it at 50psi, when its hot would be around 54-55psi right ?

I remember when I first bought this SUV, the psi was 46 something, and my check tires light on some time. and when i put 35 it also on some time also.

My f150 came with lt tires and calls for 42 psi, the lt is actually a better tire in my opinion.
On the flip side I see f250s with p tires all the time.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

I remember when I first bought this SUV, the psi was 46 something, and my check tires light on some time. and when i put 35 it also on some time also.

I think you will be very unhappy doing that, nevermind the fact that the tire warning light will be on all the time. The advice to run at pressures higher than the door placard is all well and good when you are loaded to the maximum rated weight of the vehicle so that the tires are approaching their load rating. In fact, its necessary for the reasons people have stated. But it is my experience that this will result in tires that are about as useful as concrete donuts when you're partially loaded, even in a relatively heavy vehicle like an Expedition. Running at or only slightly above the door placard inflation when LIGHTLY loaded will not excessively heat the tires... but unlike P-metric tires, you will now have to remember to air them up if you do really put the rated 8 people in the Expedition and drive at highway speeds.

This is the main argument against running LT-rated tires on SUVs and half-ton trucks. The way the tire responds at a given load is much more sensitive to inflation than a P-metric tire (which, by the way, has to be load de-rated for use on a light truck or SUV anyway). LT tires are really meant for vehicles that ALWAYS carry a heavy load, or where ride and handling don't matter at all when the vehicle is un-loaded.

So again (take it or leave it...) my advice is to stick to the door placard (or slightly higher) for normal daily use, because at light loading there is not enough sidewall flex to hurt the tire even though its an LT tire because its running SO far below its load limit). But you MUST air them up for a heavier load at sustained highway speeds or it will risk damaging the tire. You can certainly leave them aired up to 50 without hurting the TIRES... but handling and ride will be very poor.

The advice to keep it at the door jamb sticker is dangerous advice. Flat out, an LT tire must be inflated to a higher pressure to carry the same load. After using my manufacturer tables, 42 psi is the equivalent of 35 psi in that sane tire size (though mine are load range C tires not E like yours are) for my F150. I do run lower when unloaded in the rear tires.

basically put though, 5 passengers + luggage + long freeway speeds = matching the equivalent of the recommended P series pressure.

once more: 35 psi is not correct. Nor is 80. Mid 40s will be about right.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug

I think you will be very unhappy doing that, nevermind the fact that the tire warning light will be on all the time. The advice to run at pressures higher than the door placard is all well and good when you are loaded to the maximum rated weight of the vehicle so that the tires are approaching their load rating. In fact, its necessary for the reasons people have stated. But it is my experience that this will result in tires that are about as useful as concrete donuts when you're partially loaded, even in a relatively heavy vehicle like an Expedition. Running at or only slightly above the door placard inflation when LIGHTLY loaded will not excessively heat the tires... but unlike P-metric tires, you will now have to remember to air them up if you do really put the rated 8 people in the Expedition and drive at highway speeds.

This is the main argument against running LT-rated tires on SUVs and half-ton trucks. The way the tire responds at a given load is much more sensitive to inflation than a P-metric tire (which, by the way, has to be load de-rated for use on a light truck or SUV anyway). LT tires are really meant for vehicles that ALWAYS carry a heavy load, or where ride and handling don't matter at all when the vehicle is un-loaded.

So again (take it or leave it...) my advice is to stick to the door placard (or slightly higher) for normal daily use, because at light loading there is not enough sidewall flex to hurt the tire even though its an LT tire because its running SO far below its load limit). But you MUST air them up for a heavier load at sustained highway speeds or it will risk damaging the tire. You can certainly leave them aired up to 50 without hurting the TIRES... but handling and ride will be very poor.

I had LT's on the Expedition when we first got it and at 45psi (what they were at) the ride or handling wasn't bad. Replaced with P's of course when it was time.

The expedition will be heavier than a similar truck.

50psi wont be bad even unloaded. No one is recommending the 80psi that you can inflate to (load range e)

the technical info is something like this

p265/70r17 @35psi = 2535/1.1= 2304 (for a load index of 113)

a LT265/70r17@50psi =2470

so you need between 45 and 50psi in the tires.

35psi provides 1890#

which is 82% of the load rating of the oem tires.

I'd run them at 50psi. it shouldnt be overly harsh on a 6000lb expy.

Note: the numbers may be off slightly due the the load tables I used.. but close enough.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
The advice to run at pressures higher than the door placard is all well and good when you are loaded to the maximum rated weight of the vehicle so that the tires are approaching their load rating. In fact, its necessary for the reasons people have stated. But it is my experience that this will result in tires that are about as useful as concrete donuts when you're partially loaded, even in a relatively heavy vehicle like an Expedition. Running at or only slightly above the door placard inflation when LIGHTLY loaded will not excessively heat the tires... but unlike P-metric tires, you will now have to remember to air them up if you do really put the rated 8 people in the Expedition and drive at highway speeds.

You're always entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own version of the facts.

Snip_zps4fb529ed.jpg

35-40 psi is fine, if you inflate them to much the truck will ride like [censored].

I run the E's on my half ton at 40psi since day one and have never had any unusual wear or temperature increases.

If I was carrying a lot of weight on the highway like 1,500 in the bed I'd inflate them a bit more, that's where heat is generated. I'd probably run 60 in the rear.

Last edited:
My F150 came from the factory with LT275/65/18C Goodyear wrangler at/s and the door jamb states 40psi.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
35-40 psi is fine, if you inflate them to much the truck will ride like [censored].

I run the E's on my half ton at 40psi since day one and have never had any unusual wear or temperature increases.

If I was carrying a lot of weight on the highway like 1,500 in the bed I'd inflate them a bit more, that's where heat is generated. I'd probably run 60 in the rear.

If that is the factory spec for P-rated tires for your application you are running your tires potentially dangerously underinflated as you have reduced their load carrying capacity below stock spec for the vehicle.

See this document for details:

http://www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/files/loadinflationtable.pdf

Page 71 shows the following:

----------------------------
O.E. Information (Obtained from the T.I.P.):
Vehicle: 2006 Ford F-150 XLT 4X4 Super Crew Cab
Tire Size (Front/Rear): P255/70R17 110S Rim width = 7.5”
Inflation Pressure (Front/Rear) = 35 psi

Using the TRA Load Inflation Table (see Table 8), at the O.E. pressure of 35 psi, the P255/70R17 has a
load-carrying capacity of 2337 lbs. As this tire has been derated by the vehicle manufacturer by a factor
of 1.10 to account for its installation on a light truck, the actual load-carrying capacity is 2125 lbs.

After confirming that the O.E. rim width is within the allowable rim width range for LT265/70R17 121S
E/10, refer to the TRA LT Load Inflation Table. The ‘Single’ load values apply, and this tire requires an
inflation pressure of 45 psi (2255 lbs.) to maintain adequate load capacity.
----------------------------

At 35psi, the (larger width) LT tire above has a capacity of 235lbs less than the stock P-Metric tire. That is a reduction of 940lbs in carrying capacity for all four tires.

Now, for example, if I look up the stock tire size in the TRA chart shown later in the document, it shows a P265/70/17 LI 113 has a load capacity of 2,535lbs at 32psi. That is also what is shown when I look up the Michelin LTX MS/2 on TireRack. So, we reduce by a factor of 1.1 because it is a truck and we get a capacity of 2,304lbs.

I then scroll down to the LT section and look up the same size. LT265/70/17 has a capacity of 1,890lbs at 35psi. At 40PSI it is 2,070, at 45psi it is 2,255lbs and at 50psi we finally overtake the stock P-metric capacity and arrive at 2,470lbs.

So, using the derated P-Metric figure, the 4 stock tires give us a total weight carrying capacity of 4,608lbs per axle. Depending on how you are loaded will of course determine your distance from that figure. Using 35psi in the LT tire we reduce that capacity to 3,780lbs, a reduction of 828lbs of capacity per axle.

So my question to you is why are you running LT tires underinflated, reducing the load carrying capacity of the vehicle, rather than just running the correct P-Metric tire at stock pressure? (I am assuming your 1/2 ton doesn't call for something like a C-rated LT tire and rather a P-Metric) I found zero benefit from the LT tires on the Expedition, they were what the PO had put on and they were replaced with the correct tires. It isn't like with my F-250 where it actually called for LT tires and had the different loaded weights on the placard indicating what to run for pressure depending on what was in the bed. Your 1/2 ton truck doesn't have the carrying capacity to warrant an E-range tire, if it did, it would call for one. So either you are loading the vehicle up to levels it was not designed to carry, requiring a tire of that load range resulting in an unsafe vehicle or there is really no point in them being on there, which is why you are running them at the P-metric pressure, which, ironically, makes them a poorer choice in terms of carrying capacity than the stock P-Metric tires it calls for and is also potentially unsafe
wink.gif

If there's some compelling reason to running load range E tires on a vehicle that cannot utilize their capacity, please enlighten me.

Originally Posted By: volk06
My F150 came from the factory with LT275/65/18C Goodyear wrangler at/s and the door jamb states 40psi.

That results in a capacity (per the table) of 2,130lbs per tire or 4,260lbs per axle. That's in-line with my quote from the Toyo document where they were doing the P to LT swap with the F-150 and the stock P-Metric tires had a capacity of 2,125lbs after the reduction.

Originally Posted By: volk06

My old 2003 F150 Ex-cab FX4 spec'd LT265/70R17 @ 35PSI.

And just to confirm what others having been saying:

In order to have the same load carrying capacity, an LT tire must use 15 psi more than a P type tire of the same dimensions.

In this case, that is going to have some affect on ride and handling. Whether that change is enough to cause an issue is unknown - probably varies from vehicle to vehicle.

But if it is an issue, then the problem is which of these 2 things is a greater risk: Tire failure due to low inflation pressure, or handling incident due to high pressure. I just plain don't know.

One of the main reasons to use a LT tire is the deeper tread and heavier sidewall for offroading.

The OP has a expedition which is a different application from an empty bed truck.

a 6000lb vehicle with just the driver Is getting very close to the load rating.

Originally Posted By: Rand
One of the main reasons to use a LT tire is the deeper tread and heavier sidewall for offroading.

The OP has a expedition which is a different application from an empty bed truck.

a 6000lb vehicle with just the driver Is getting very close to the load rating.

Heavier sidewall I can see being a potential advantage if you are wheeling it but often the only other difference is a tiny reduction in tread depth like with the Michelin LTX M/S 2 where the P-Metric has a tread depth of 12/32" and the LT has a depth of 13.5/32". And then you have to run them 15psi higher to get the same load capacity
21.gif

Most of the really aggressive off-road tires are LT only anyway, there isn't a P-Metric equivalent AFAIK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back