Wrist Watch / Timepiece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for sharing! I am blown away by how many watch gurus we have on here. BITOG is truly full of amazing people with great information.

The Powermatic 80 movement is a "tuned" 2824-2. The VPH has been turned down from 28,800 to 21,600 to get the power reserve up. Hamilton did the same thing with their H-10 movement. Not coincidentally, Tissot and Hamilton are both owned by Swatch Group, which also owns ETA. Draw your own conclusion, but "underclocking" an existing movement to get the power reserve up and slapping an "in-house" movement name on it has been called tacky.

I realize that but its not uncommon and neither is slapping an in house movt caliber on a existing movt, Omega, Breitling, etc have all done it.
Granted it will not be a chronometer grade but still a heck of a good workhorse nonetheless. I much prefer it to a made in Malaysia Seiko or a "SWISS" Claro Semag 888.

I have an Invitica and you can see the mechanicals through a window in the back of the case.

I really want a very accurate watch and no mechanical watch will be as accurate as a quartz. My Seiko picks up time signals over the air once a day and updates itself. Extremely accurate.
For all the flack that Invicta gets from watch snobs, honestly, I can't think of a better starter mechanical watch - and I have several. They use Seiko movements, hack, hand wind, and if you catch a sale on Amazon you can get one for $50-60. Seiko 5's are good but Seiko seems to have figured out there's a demand for the watches and the prices have gone up accordingly.

If you're into larger watches, Aragon is a good site to visit. They make some very solid watches, also using mostly Seiko movements (but they've got some stock with ETA movements and also some quartz models) but they tend to be big - however there are still some Divemaster 42's left that are a steal at the current price. Every now and then they'll run some sort of flash sale as well.

These guys have a lot of mid priced straps, decent quality but not the real high price tag.

A little higher end, this is the one I have with a dual deployant clasp, it saves the strap.

One of the bespoke, the price is climbing at this level.

For all the flack that Invicta gets from watch snobs, honestly, I can't think of a better starter mechanical watch - and I have several. They use Seiko movements, hack, hand wind, and if you catch a sale on Amazon you can get one for $50-60. Seiko 5's are good but Seiko seems to have figured out there's a demand for the watches and the prices have gone up accordingly.

If you're into larger watches, Aragon is a good site to visit. They make some very solid watches, also using mostly Seiko movements (but they've got some stock with ETA movements and also some quartz models) but they tend to be big - however there are still some Divemaster 42's left that are a steal at the current price. Every now and then they'll run some sort of flash sale as well.
Aragon (formally Android) are a good beater for short money. I don't know, Invicta blows you may as well strap on a wall clock.

Aragon (formally Android) are a good beater for short money. I don't know, Invicta blows you may as well strap on a wall clock.
Some Invicta's, yes. I've got 2 40mm models that would be hard to read at wall-clock distance, though.

And Aragon isn't immune to that phenomenon either - have you seen some of their Gauge series? :oops:

Just a few of mine..

SAM_0055.JPG

I've had an Orient Kingdiver watch since 1971. Still works fine.

In recent years I've bought quartz watches because of their accuracy. My Swiss Army watch worn most days lasted over 20 years; it's about done now but my SIL is thinking of refurbishing it (the case and crystal are still excellent) as my grandson's first watch. I received a Swiss Army diver's watch as a gift 5 years ago; It's very nice but kind of heavy.

I recently bought a Seiko watch with a Sapphire crystal, 100 meters water resistance, large blue face for a very reasonable price (about $150). I suggest you check the Creation Watches website. They're located in Singapore. I had mine shipped by regular mail. It took forever to come during the early days of the pandemic. I was so impressed with that first purchase I bought a Citizen Quartz Eco-Drive watch for my wife the same way. It's a beautiful watch too (for everyday use because gardening is hard on her dress watch - a gorgeous Tag diver's watch).

The prices at Creation Watches are best on Japanese watches. They currently have a sale on Orient watches.

I've had an Orient Kingdiver watch since 1971. Still works fine.

In recent years I've bought quartz watches because of their accuracy. My Swiss Army watch worn most days lasted over 20 years; it's about done now but my SIL is thinking of refurbishing it (the case and crystal are still excellent) as my grandson's first watch. I received a Swiss Army diver's watch as a gift 5 years ago; It's very nice but kind of heavy.

I recently bought a Seiko watch with a Sapphire crystal, 100 meters water resistance, large blue face for a very reasonable price (about $150). I suggest you check the Creation Watches website. They're located in Singapore. I had mine shipped by regular mail. It took forever to come during the early days of the pandemic. I was so impressed with that first purchase I bought a Citizen Quartz Eco-Drive watch for my wife the same way. It's a beautiful watch too (for everyday use because gardening is hard on her dress watch - a gorgeous Tag diver's watch).

The prices at Creation Watches are best on Japanese watches. They currently have a sale on Orient watches.
PS My Seiko and my wife's Citizen both have Japanese movements.

I had two Seiko's. They were not very reliable and had to have them repaired several times over the years. Myself, I won't buy another one. Batteries lasted a long time in them however.

If you're asking me, my new watch is very similar in appearance to the Presage. For some reason it only appears for a few seconds so I can't get a very good look at it. The only apparent visual difference is that the date on mine is at 3:00. Mine has a quartz movement (which I prefer) though.

Although I've had the Orient Kingdiver since 1971 I don't wear it very much. It has a mechanical movement and has to be serviced every few years which costs far more than I paid for it (about $45, bought in Korea). Several of my engineering classmates bought identical watches as a graduation present to ourselves.

I realize that but its not uncommon and neither is slapping an in house movt caliber on a existing movt, Omega, Breitling, etc have all done it.
Granted it will not be a chronometer grade but still a heck of a good workhorse nonetheless. I much prefer it to a made in Malaysia Seiko or a "SWISS" Claro Semag 888.
Oh, I understand. I was just having a conversation about why the Speedmaster Reduced doesn't get much love and likely will never be an "investment" timepiece. It's because it uses a hodge podge of parts, an off-the-shelf ETA movement for time and a Dubois Depraz chronograph module, to make something that looks like a Speedmaster Professional. The market just never warmed to them.

I don't know that I like tweaking an otherwise reliable movement for increased power reserve. I follow a couple Hamilton groups and it seems that newer watches that use the in-house H-10 movement go in for repair far more often than older watches with the ETA 2824. This is anecdotal, of course. I have a Khaki Field with a 2824 and it's been solid for 8 years or so. I also have an Intra-Matic Chrono that's less than a year old with an in-house H-31 movement (based on the ETA 7753) and have had more than one instance where it wouldn't begin running when the crown was pushed in after setting the time. Not a comforting feeling.

Thank you for sharing! I am blown away by how many watch gurus we have on here. BITOG is truly full of amazing people with great information.
Personally I would avoid the mid-range swiss like Tissot or say Raymond Weil. Check out some watch sites like Worn and Wound they'll tell you the same. I would lean more towards an entry level Seiko automatic or the Presage line you were thinking of. Orient is also quite good.

What is everyone's takes on Movado and Gucci?

I don't see a whole lot of love for them here but I see Movado at almost every Jewelry store and a lot of department stores.

What is everyone's takes on Movado and Gucci?

I don't see a whole lot of love for them here but I see Movado at almost every Jewelry store and a lot of department stores.
I look at them as fashion brands. Some of them are ok but they are more of a status type watch IMO.
For budget I like seiko and citizen. I have the original cocktail time and it's a nice watch once you replace the strap. I have a beautiful Citizen "the citizen" that I will never sell the dial is made out of paper.

Sinn, omega, tudor etc all fall into the midrange for me. I have the railmaster and it is a beauty. I pretty much use my sinn as a daily wear.

For going out I use my Glashutte Original or my grand seiko.

I like vintage watches so most of my collection falls into that category. I like tuning fork watches I have a IWC, Omega and a bunch of bulova. Also Have King Seiko's, Enicar Omega cosmic.

Watches for me are a collecting disease. LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back