WrightGrip 2.0 wrench set

In a previous thread, I was looking to upgrade my older usa craftsman wrench set. I wanted something that had a better grip for rusty, stubborn fasteners. I was seriously considering the Snap On flank drive plus.

Trav also recommended a Hazet set which i came very close to purchasing, I just liked the aspect of buying a USA made set. Thanks Trav, i still may buy the shorter Stahlwillie set as well.

I ran across Wright tool. They have their version of a wrench grip that holds on and does not readily round off bolts.

I ordered the WrightGrip 2.0. Set 958. Got them today. They definitely feel like a high quality tool. The Open end has the grip teeth on both sides of the wrench. The polishing is superb.

The set spans 7mm-24mm.

Compared to my older craftsman( which are good wrenches, not the new ones). They are longer in all sizes , which is nice. The open end is a touch thicker than the older craftsman, but nothing like the lobster end of the universal craftsman.

The box end is thinner , which is nice and is 12 pt.

I really like them, but i can't say much more until i turn them on some bolts.

I ordered a can of prevox from kano labs, I'm going to see how that works for wiping down and keeping my tools from rusting.

I will not be using the canvas roll( although it is a nice tool roll). These will go in my tool chest.

IMG_20200219_211905558.jpg

IMG_20200219_212721957.jpg

IMG_20200219_212732050.jpg

IMG_20200219_212353405.jpg

IMG_20200219_214456611.jpg

IMG_20200219_214602253.jpg

IMG_20200219_213221638.jpg

IMG_20200219_213201685.jpg

Last edited:
This is the prevox i'm going to try on my tools. My garage gets humid at times.

I also bought some weatherpruf, which i will also try. The prevox is supposed to leave a waxy lube coat. The weatherpruf is more of some type of clear coat that dries.

IMG_20200219_214008959.jpg

IMG_20200219_220837942.jpg

Last edited:
Your Wright set on wrenches is on my buy list to replace my 24 year old Craftsman set. The Craftsman's open end we're not well made (machined and flashing on plating).

About a year ago, I bought a set of SAE Wright wrenches. I am very happy with them. Especially that they are made in the USA.

Wright tool is about 2 miles from my house
smile.gif

thanks for buying made in Ohio.

The prevox and weatherproof is interesting I was looking for something to replace boeshield t-9 which is now over $20 a can.

Are all Wright Tools made in the USA ? If not, how can I be sure I am getting a quality product if I order from a web retailer like Amazon, Walmart etc ? (this is not a criticism, but a genuine question)

Last edited:
All Wright tools are made in the USA. They are excellent tools. Williams (Snap On Industrial brand) are made in both the USA and in Taiwan. They are all excellent tools - but if you prefer USA-made Williams tools, then look for a manufacturer part number that is alpha numeric, the all numeric tool sets are the Taiwanese made.

I have bought many sets of sockets, etc. from Zoro.

www.zoro.com

They often have a 20% discount code. Wait for one of those promos, and order. The order is often drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer. No fakes. Good price. Free shipping.

Spasm - those Wright wrenches look great. Finely made. You're going to love them.

Originally Posted by diyjake
That is a very nice set! What does a set like that cost?

That set was about $240.00 or so. I bought in on Amazon from the tool barn.

Last edited:
Excellent tools, new engineering at a low price per wrench. I don't see how they can make them for that given what it takes to make them. Plus you are supporting your own country. Not a bad thing about it. Inspires to get out of HF PRC made mode.

I'm on a budget this year, but ordered a set anyway. I looked at lot of USA sets and this is a large and well priced one. I like the Grip 2.0 feature, it's worth it when I work on my older Toyota pickup. It also has an upgraded flank drive on the box end, Wright has very good pictures and explanations of this. I got it from Zoro with a 20% off and it's on the way. Thanks for the tip on the set.

.......In a previous thread, I was looking to upgrade my older usa craftsman wrench set. I wanted something that had a better grip for rusty, stubborn fasteners. I was seriously considering the Snap On flank drive plus........

I ordered the WrightGrip 2.0. Set 958. Got them today. They definitely feel like a high quality tool. The Open end has the grip teeth on both sides of the wrench. The polishing is superb.

Compared to my older craftsman( which are good wrenches, not the new ones). They are longer in all sizes , which is nice. The open end is a touch thicker than the older craftsman, but nothing like the lobster end of the universal craftsman.

The box end is thinner , which is nice and is 12 pt.

I really like them, but i can't say much more until i turn them on some bolts.
It's been a year since you bought these. How have they worked out for you on rusty, stubborn fasteners? Any rounding out of fasteners?

Do the serrations on the open end chew up the fastener?

Like you did, I want to replace my older set of Craftsman combo wrenches with a more modern design. I am looking at Wright and Williams.

Last edited:
It's been a year since you bought these. How have they worked out for you on rusty, stubborn fasteners? Any rounding out of fasteners?

Like you did, I want to replace my older set of Craftsman combo wrenches with a more modern design. I am looking at Wright and Williams.
I still love them, they work great! They do leave a mark, but its not bad, not like the snap on flank drive. I have not rounded anything off with them.

I kept the craftsman as some of them are 6 point.

I could get rid of the lobster claw craftsman, but I use those If I need to beat on them.
IMG_20210306_162958340.jpg
IMG_20201004_120117232_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210306_164007150.jpg
IMG_20210306_163955279.jpg

Last edited:
Those are for sure some nice wrenches. I don’t have a single tool from this company I don’t think. My current wrench sets are two sets of USA Craftsman and one set of Chinese Craftsman that my parents bought me from Kmart 7 years ago. And I have about 3 sets pieced together from the pawn shops that are a mix of everything including Williams, Snap-on, Blue Point, Mac, Craftsman, Proto, Challenger, Benchtop, Bonney, Barcalo-Buffalo, Billings, Blackhawk, etc. Still have yet to find a Wright anywhere. I’ve used all of them and they are all fine but the nicer ones are definitely better in certain spots. Can’t beat USA made either.

Those are for sure some nice wrenches. I don’t have a single tool from this company I don’t think. My current wrench sets are two sets of USA Craftsman and one set of Chinese Craftsman that my parents bought me from Kmart 7 years ago. And I have about 3 sets pieced together from the pawn shops that are a mix of everything including Williams, Snap-on, Blue Point, Mac, Craftsman, Proto, Challenger, Benchtop, Bonney, Barcalo-Buffalo, Billings, Blackhawk, etc. Still have yet to find a Wright anywhere. I’ve used all of them and they are all fine but the nicer ones are definitely better in certain spots. Can’t beat USA made either.
Nothing wrong with the older usa craftsman wrenches. I used them a ton.
I was just ready for something new, wanted to try the newer tech gripping wrench.

The lobster claw wrenches suck, I save those for use with a hammer.

Nothing wrong with the older usa craftsman wrenches. I used them a ton.
I was just ready for something new, wanted to try the newer tech gripping wrench.

The lobster claw wrenches suck, I save those for use with a hammer.
I agree I really like the older ones. The raised panel design hurts your hands after awhile though. Can’t beat a quality wrench either and those Wright definitely are quality you can tell.

I can authoratively say these are great on rusted and stubborn bolts.

The shocks on my Ram were held on by bolts that were horribly seized. To the point that I had to forcibly shear them off and replace them. The hut is hidden in a slot in the control arm, and it’s a pain. The wrenches held perfectly, and the 21mm didn’t round the nut, so I could put enough force to shear the bolt in half. Is that good enough?

I see the wrench imparts a line on the fastener, but it’s not a big deal imo...

E7659BE2-2005-4714-80B0-832396E50BEC.jpeg
DF0B2D54-C3F2-472A-975D-CAF5BA670992.jpeg
F514256B-9476-4778-A7BA-E0C43BD509B7.jpeg

Back