Craftsman box wrench set initial review -PICS-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered a similar 10 pc set with the offset box ends. They are fully polished but I believe they are made in China

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I have a Craftsman 159 piece set which has 6 pt wrenches. It seemed like a great idea at that time. But seriously, every time I had to use them, I was cursing myself for selected that set. The six point box end wrench sounds great on the paper but trust me, you would be better off with a twelve point one.

I have both, and when nuts are made of soft metal, very tight, or slightly damaged the 6 point set is worth its weight in gold. It IMO is less likely to cause further damage, and gets the job done well. Opinions vary.

6 pts are good for sizes under 1/2 inch or so. I really like my 6 pt 5/16", for example, for doing GM side battery terminals.

I take out wrench only when there is no access for a socket to fit. It becomes quite miserable to take off the fastener with the limited travel of 6-pt wrench. I should use the 6-pt to loosen and the use the 12-pt for removal

Somebody should make dual box end with 6-pt/12-pt. I would at least buy the 10/12/14 mm set in a New York minute

I take out wrench only when there is no access for a socket to fit. It becomes quite miserable to take off the fastener with the limited travel of 6-pt wrench. I should use the 6-pt to loosen and the use the 12-pt for removal

I just hate to hear about wrenches I do not have.

I've had that set for about 10 years. I love them. Sure, I wish they were full polish but I'm only a weekend mechanic and it isn't that big a deal.

I, too, bought them because they are long pattern. I'll have to go through mine and look for the minor defects you have picked up. Sorry, but I rarely pick things apart like many innerweb reviewers I see...If the item works, that's good enough for me.

But just for S&Gs, I am going to go through mine. I am willing to bet that there's no cosmetic flaws nor "bent" wrenches. QC 10 years ago was much better and the overall manufacturing quality was better.

I have a Craftsman 159 piece set which has 6 pt wrenches. It seemed like a great idea at that time. But seriously, every time I had to use them, I was cursing myself for selected that set. The six point box end wrench sounds great on the paper but trust me, you would be better off with a twelve point one.

I would pick a 6-point wrench every time if access to the bolt allowed me to do so... (sometimes a 12-point is needed in tight spaces)

Originally Posted By: Donald
I don't think they make 6 pt wrenches without a ratchet.

They make them - just a little bit harder to find...

Here is my set.

4148125673_ececfc1fa9_b.jpg

The look like a nice set that will do most of what you ever need.

I've had the best luck with tools that I've purchased at estate/farm auctions or pawn shops. About 30 years ago I purchased a rolling toolbox at auction that had a couple hundred wrenches in it that, in addition to several other brands, had a number of Craftsman wrenches included. I've used them to break bolts free on tractor front ends-hold the closed end of the wrench on the bolt and beat on the open end with a sledge hammer. I have yet to break any of those old wrenches, but I’ve never had a frozen bolt that didn’t break loose. Those wrenches have withstood every abuse I could throw at them.

The toolbox, complete with wrenches, sockets and an assortment of other tools cost in the neighborhood of $50 or so back then. One of the better bargains that I've won at an auction.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
I just ordered a similar 10 pc set with the offset box ends. They are fully polished but I believe they are made in China

To my surprise the deep offset box end wrenches are made in the USA. They are very well made and nicely polished. Ended up exchanging the 10 pc set for the 12 pc set which included four larger metric sizes (2 wrenches).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back