Wrangler SR-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's 09 Liberty will be needing new tires in the near future. I have been very happy with the Wrangler SR-A tires that came from the factory and was going to buy another set. Sears sells a Wrangler SR-A Owl tire. Is this the same tire that came from the factory, or some inferior version?

Same if not better. Call around, Goodyear stores will match prices . And easier to deal with when it comes to warranty.

while its good you like the tire it gets bad reviews.. maybe you would like something different more??
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+SR-A

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=HAS

Thats also a highway tire on a wrangler.. maybe step up to a mild AT?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT

I particularly like the wrangler silentarmor, bridgestone revo 2, and firestone destination AT out of that list.

Last edited:
I only see three reviews and one of them is from a person complaining about not getting traction in snow and ice. I'd say that would be true of most tires.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Ford dealerships will match their price and also give you a $100 rebate.

It isn't $100 anymore, it all depends on the Goodyear model. The $100 thing ended in May.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
I only see three reviews and one of them is from a person complaining about not getting traction in snow and ice. I'd say that would be true of most tires.

thats because you didnt click the "see all reviews" button

there is 738 reviews and 31million miles + reported.

no need to be defensive, I'm just saying most people dont like oem tires(which is reflected in the survey/reviews).

on the survey it was ranked 35th.. which means 34 other tires were ranked higher.

the survey is a basic rating 1-10 in about 10 categories.

the reviews are actual reviews, I usually try to narrow it down to people with a vehicle similar to yours and read those.

Most people buy a wrangler and like to take it offroad if you drive yours on road 100% then I agree you should stick with highway tires. There are still 34 ranked higher you might want to consider.

If you do take it offroad you might be happier with more aggressive tires.

A mild AT is in no way a mud tire or loud and obnoxious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: volk06
Ford dealerships will match their price and also give you a $100 rebate.

It isn't $100 anymore, it all depends on the Goodyear model. The $100 thing ended in May.

Ah ok, I was just at the ford dealership early this week and they had that sign, must have forgot to take it down!

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Why not look at the Michelin LTX.

or the new version thats currently rated #1 (if available in wrangler size)

This is also the first positive I've read about these tires. I'd seriously shop another tire if you think that one was good.

Michelin's are over $200 a tire. That price point is not practical for me. Wife's Liberty is her daily commuter. Just needs a tire that doesnt wear down quick to go from A to B. I'm puzzled by some of the reviews about short tread life. We have 62k on the OEM tires right now and accordimg to Abe Lincoln's head still have enough tread.

Tire life is dependent on many things including the vehicle weight, how aggressively it is driven, inflation & alignment, abrasiveness of the local road aggregate, and other factors.

I'm also not a Goodyear fan. You can search on tirerack.com for your size and see many very good tires in the $150 range. Check the selection box for Low Rolling Resistance tires only and you'll find some that may give better gas mileage. You can check the selection box for a sort by the reviewers' average rating and find some with better than average tread life. The Continental CrossContact LX20 look interesting, and someone here might have info on them.

Originally Posted By: outoforder

Michelin's are over $200 a tire. That price point is not practical for me. Wife's Liberty is her daily commuter. Just needs a tire that doesnt wear down quick to go from A to B. I'm puzzled by some of the reviews about short tread life. We have 62k on the OEM tires right now and accordimg to Abe Lincoln's head still have enough tread.

NO offense AT ALL is intended by the following comment... I was STUNNED when reading your 1st post where you say how much you like the SR-A and that you got long life out of them. I think you are the 1st person I have ever heard say that.

I actually agree with you on the price of the Michelins. Too $$$ for me as well. Here are some other options for you that IMO offer great value return for the $$$. I believe your OE tire size should be 235/70R16. Is that correct? Anyway, here are some tires that are in that size. All of them will run at worst the same as the SR-A's( $150'ish )and many are down near $110-$120 each.

Tires are listed alphabetical( not entering my own opinion on them - all have good points ). All are good dependable tires that should last you 50-60K+...

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
Continental CrossContact LX
Continental CrossContact LX20
Cooper Discoverer CTS
Cooper Discoverer H/T
Firestone Destination LE
Firestone Destination LE2( Brand new tire - no idea about it other than it has a better UTQG and a new tread design - looks like a good tire to me but? )
General Grabber HTS
Kumho Road Venture APT KL51
Michelin Latitude Tour

Last edited:
No offense taken, NHHEMI. After reading the reviews online, I was also surprised by the mileage we are getting out of the OE tires. While I don't doubt performance those users have gotten out of the tires, they work well for us in ourrent application. 235/70R 16 is one size, 225/75R 16 is another size. Thanks for the list of tires. Definitively some good choices out there.

If you got a Discount Tire take a look at the Cooper ATP's. I've only got about 2,000 miles on mine since I got them, but so far I'm happy with them.
Pics of what they look like:

002-1.jpg

001.jpg

I just put SR-As on my F150 and have about 6000 miles in them. I like them, and they where highly recommended by the Goodyear dealer.

Kelly Safari ATR. It's a sleeper tire for what you're looking for. Point A to Point B, no frills, no thrills, dependable not so aggressive all terrain, almost highway'ish. Get em at your Goodyear dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back